PDA

View Full Version : out and about

It's a small world
05-05-2009, 09:22 PM
Hi

Not sure if there is another thread about this (sorry if there is) anyway , just doing my EYFS paperwork and looking at KUW (KNOWING AND UNDERSTANDING THE WORLD) Thinking about places I can take mindees to show them about the world,
I live on a new estate so can go for walks and look at diff houses at diff stages of builds, diff machines used to build houses.
Nature- have a lake nearby with lots of diff birds.
Forest nearby so can look at trees and mini beasts
Farm nearby with petting area

Was thinking about fire station have any of you done a visit like this or a mosque etc obviously need permission before hand but wondered where else everyone has visited.

Mouse
05-05-2009, 09:27 PM
We go to the library, local shops, local events, school events etc.

We have done a fire station visit as well with other childminders. I'm not sure who enjoyed it most, the children or the minders :D

huggableshelly
05-05-2009, 09:48 PM
local farm or zoo....local church with toddler group, playgrounds

looking at books

searching the internet on how people live in other countires etc

simple map poster with string blue tacked then linked to food or an animal or a person where they live etc

Daftbat
06-05-2009, 07:14 AM
Most of the activities you do with the childrencover this area as its part of learning and growing up. As children learn they discover how things work, where they fit in to the world and how to find out more about all these things. Visits are a more prominent way of covering this area but you can find links in everything else you do too.

Chatterbox Childcare
06-05-2009, 07:25 AM
KUW is not just about going out and meeting the community. If you look at the EYFS it will give you ideas of what to do to cover this.

It's a small world
06-05-2009, 10:33 AM
Thanks I have lots of activities and things to cover this area such as scavenger hunts. growing fruit and veg. Visiting farms, woods, etc Trying foods from diff countries (within reason) Passports for our journey around the world learning about different countries. Colouring pictures including peoples jobs, disabilities. Games- bingo. and many more. Just wanted to know if anyone actally visited places like fire stations etc. Thanks for advice and will take in into account.