PDA

View Full Version : I'm Horrified

Heaven Scent
05-05-2009, 05:13 PM
http://www.letssharecare.com/contact.php

I came across the above website by accident - its where parents can register to do a childcare share - surely by registering on such a site you leave your child open to abuse by being cared for by people who are neither trained in any way shape or form or police checked. What surprises me are all the links they have added to their site.

Minstrel
05-05-2009, 05:18 PM
I saw this a while back i think it was a link on another site i was on. I agree its awful that this is how some parents go about finding care for their LO's.

As far as i know this is still illegal childcare isnt it? they are being paid with the reward of child care in return?

Chatterbox Childcare
05-05-2009, 05:19 PM
Have just sent a link to both my DO, Head of Trio, NCMA and Regional and Head Office of Ofsted requesting their comments.

Curly Quavers
05-05-2009, 05:23 PM
I find it scary that there is a market for this kind of thing yet the parents who use it are surprised when things go wrong.

Any weirdo could end up looking after your kids.

Mollymop
05-05-2009, 05:27 PM
What checks do you carry out?

As part of your subscription you must submit to a CRB check as part of your subscription. These are not available directly to the general public.
The CRB process requires that you supply certain information, that establish identity and address and of course criminal records, and the same would be required of the family you wish to share with.
There are no other checks, any sharing arrangements are at your discretion and we recommend you complete the Get2knowu forms, and feedback forms. Some guidance advice will be provided when you are invited to subscribe to the site, such as what questions to ask, where to meet, etc.

I can't find anywhere that there is any money involved, so not sure if it is illegal.

I sometimes wonder why some parents have children if they can so easily palm them off to complete strangers who could be anyone:mad:

Chatterbox Childcare
05-05-2009, 05:27 PM
I just registered and said that I would prefer someone Ofsted registered and insurance is a must. I couldn't find any schools local to me in the scheme.

Minstrel
05-05-2009, 05:28 PM
I've just noticed it says CRB checks take up to 5 weeks. I'd like to know how- mines 8 weeks and counting!

Chatterbox Childcare
05-05-2009, 05:30 PM
This could be done but only for 2 hours a day and that is babysitting. Anything above is childcare.

Some parents need their heads testing. I know there is a credit crunch out there but how much is their childs safety worth, especially with tax credits so readily availble too.

Heaven Scent
05-05-2009, 05:33 PM
Money doesn't have to exchange hands as the wording is if you childmind for payment or reward and free childcare in exchange for your care is reward no matter how you look at it - I have to admit i didn't see where it mentioed about CRB checks but there are no inspections and no insurance so it is still a huge risk.

Bananabrain
05-05-2009, 05:38 PM
I'm horrified too. Just tried to e-mail them but they won't accept my false e-mail:laughing:

Obviously a money making exercise and I noticed they haven't got any schools to sign up yet:laughing:

Mouse
05-05-2009, 05:48 PM
From what I read, it sounds as if it's mainly aimed at school age children and putting parents in touch with other parents who have children at the same school.

In theory it could be a good idea for some parents & it's what a lot of them already do - one will pick up the children one night, the other the next etc. But the difference is that that's normally done by parents who are friends & already know each other, which I don't see anything wrong with. I would be very wary of making such an arrangement with a stranger though and through such an unprofessional looking website.

I wonder how many people are actually registered with them? I just can't see people bothering. Why pay to be put in touch with someone who probably stands in the same playground as you anyway?

Pipsqueak
05-05-2009, 06:02 PM
Shocking ! I can see the good but ill thought out principle behind the site but to encourage people to leave their kids with untrained, un insured carers and to flout regulations - well:eek:

More fool if anyone does use it I suppose - lets hope that no paedos get wind of it and start registering eh (not all of them will have a crim record - yet)

Erika
06-05-2009, 06:11 PM
I don't think anything can be done about it, especially as their slogan is "Don't pay for childcare, share it!"

If no "reward" is crossing hands, there's little can be done. It's disgusting though, that the owner of the website is making money out of encouraging the placing of children at risk.

Me thinks the regulations should be updated, as folks will always find a loophole in them.

Have just sent a link to both my DO, Head of Trio, NCMA and Regional and Head Office of Ofsted requesting their comments.

It will be interesting to hear their response.

Minstrel
07-05-2009, 01:13 PM
I don't think anything can be done about it, especially as their slogan is "Don't pay for childcare, share it!"

If no "reward" is crossing hands, there's little can be done.

Me thinks the regulations should be updated, as folks will always find a loophole in them.

It will be interesting to hear their response.

The thing is the 'reward' is childcare for free in return for providing it. I cant remember where but i am sure i have already read that this is classed as reward.

Pipsqueak
07-05-2009, 02:08 PM
The thing is the 'reward' is childcare for free in return for providing it. I cant remember where but i am sure i have already read that this is classed as reward.

You are right but its a very grey area. Prove its not just a playdate scenario

Minstrel
07-05-2009, 04:02 PM
You are right but its a very grey area. Prove its not just a playdate scenario

Yes especially if they are at the same school they would just claim to know each other from there.
I think signing up and paying for the service online though might be proof.

Besides i dont think the parents should be really to blame here - they genuinely probably dont know the rules- but i think the owners of the site should def be held accountable, as they are setting this up and encouraging it and worse, they are profiting from it.