PDA

View Full Version : FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT DON'T DRIVE

carla
05-05-2009, 11:05 AM
What do u do all day.

Im really worried, I have some kids to look after in the summer holls, and I dont have a clue what to do with them all day. Im having them all week aswell.

sue m
05-05-2009, 11:15 AM
I've never learned to drive,I have a large garden for the kids and also you can take them to the park or anywhere local, have you got a kids farm nearby or somewhere other Mums or childminders go? You don't have to be out all day and every day.

Hope you sort something out.

nell57
05-05-2009, 11:17 AM
Hi Carol

I dont drive and I've never found it a problem. I only live 10minutes walk away from a great park which we visit most days and I am lucky enough that my local early years dept put on some trips on for childminders at next to nothing cost. We use public transport (with written permission of course;) ) a lot as well and the children love that.

estrelas
05-05-2009, 11:24 AM
i drive but been childminding 7 weeks and have yet to use the car!!
To be honest don't think i will

We spend our days in the local park, making dens, picnics,
If we go into town we get the bus, or as we are close we walk.

We're organising a train trip in the may hols to the beach, if its wet we're just gonna stay on the train = Take lots of games etc.

We also spend alot of time in our small garden, chalking on the floor, painting boxes.

I was going to buy a bigger car for childminding but i've decided not to bother now :)

Don't worry there is looooaaaaaddddsssss to do :laughing:

tammerisk
05-05-2009, 11:25 AM
i don't drive and my scholl holiday weeks are a little some thing like this

mondays we go to town on the bus (cost me 10 pound just for a trip there and back) and go to the library they are aloud to take out three books each(which stay at my house)one story book and two doing/craft/drawing books

tue we stay home and do crafts and play in the garden

wed we goin for all day picnic at a local park which takes us half hours to walk to.

thurs we stay in and do crafts and play and in the garden or poss go and see a freind who has children the same age and a bigger garden than me!!!!

friday we go to baby weight in and the local toy library and borrow toys

it odes change a bit but that is the basic structure of every school hoilday thati do

Bushpig
05-05-2009, 11:28 AM
I don't drive (yet!) and we go to the common, the playground park, the garden (huge), we hop on the bus and go to the river, the local town (2 to choose from), toddler group, the library etc. My locale is really good for childminding - all mine are lil ones too so we don't go too far.

ChristineF
05-05-2009, 06:10 PM
I feel better after reading this thread. I cant drive either and was worried it would hold me back when I started minding. I walk most places with my own two wee ones so suppose I should do the same when I eventually start minding. Glad to read that there are other non-driving childminders :)

Angela234
05-05-2009, 06:18 PM
I don't drive either,
we go for walks
picnic in park
into town ,library,
we don't have much public transport either
we do have a stream train that goes 2 miles to a farm park quite expensive and the weather has to be good

Mollymop
05-05-2009, 06:21 PM
I don't drive either. I go to the parks, town, library, SueM's. We have picnics, feed the ducks, go in the garden. Others go to toddler groups, etc.

I have a few childminder friends that drive but they have too many children and can't use the car anyway, so they have to walk.

I have thought about going to our local farm which is about 7 miles away in the summer hols, I only have my 2 children and 2 others max in the hols so I will see about going by taxi. I will ask the parents to contribute a few pounds towards the taxi and admission.

Don't worry, if you have parks and libraries, groups to go to you will find lots to do.