PDA

View Full Version : Some Garden Advice please?

jessie1
04-05-2009, 09:26 PM
As you all know I finally moved house, told OFSTED weeks before the moved but been delaying getting them out to me for main reason that I am due my 1st Inspection but dont have any kids on roll and that Mrs OFSTED told me that first time childminders dont get a good certificate so I must be happy with just a satisfactory. This forum has proven that new childminders have received Outstanding and even though I am far from that I want a well-deserved result. And second reason was that I didnt want to rush getting the house sorted. So finally managed to get house sorted that everything is unpacked and all junk in garage for now and only getting childminding side sorted now.

My garden however is split level which is fine and already almost £300 more per month in rent than precious place but that was the best we could get and as long as its secure which previous one wasnt. I will upload 2 pics and just want some advice on how I make sure thats safe for the kids. I know that I have to do something but not sure what. My daughter at 18 months is very good up and down the stairs but she did have an almost accident going after a ball and luckily I was just there busy with the washing. The washing line wont be there but any advice will be hugely appreciated as I need to send my risk assessment off.
Thanks (sorry got carried away again)

Hebs
04-05-2009, 09:32 PM
oooh i dunno hun looks ok to me

but if you really want to make it safer what about a little picket fence and gate on the higher level?

sweets
04-05-2009, 09:48 PM
Looks great garden.
I got a cheap and cheerfull picket fence from argos for my garden as my patio is slightly raised and one of my mindees (20mnths) kept falling off a lttle truck onto the grass! never hurt herself as was only about a 4inch drop.
The fence is only a foot or so high, it may not stop a running toddler from falling in your garden but may just provide a visible barrier for the edge.Its on offer at the mo with buy 2 and get 1 free. dead easy to fix in too.

jessie1
04-05-2009, 09:51 PM
Thanks for replies, will have a look at the picket fence as you can see even though its split level it is slighly steep therefore little ones running from the back get accidentally fall over the top. Also by the steps do I leave that open or do I close that somehow and if so how?
Thanks

youarewhatyoueat
04-05-2009, 11:00 PM
I would fix a gate and only allow young ones on to the top level with constant supervision or fix a picket fence all the way along with a gate on the bottom level and possibly a gate on the top as well.
or not sure about this one great little trading do a pull out gate for driveways,that would go the whole way across like a roller blind,as I said not sure about that but worth a look.

SimplyLucy
05-05-2009, 05:46 AM
I would fix a gate and only allow young ones on to the top level with constant supervision or fix a picket fence all the way along with a gate on the bottom level and possibly a gate on the top as well.
or not sure about this one great little trading do a pull out gate for driveways,that would go the whole way across like a roller blind,as I said not sure about that but worth a look.

I agree, this looks great. If I move (fingers crossed!) then I'll probably invest in one of these. I love the fact that you don't have to have it up all the time. They do different sizes too.
http://www.gltc.co.uk/fcp/product/-/bestsellers/Driveway-Safety-Gate-(7.6m/25ft)/10000000201

PixiePetal
05-05-2009, 06:23 AM
I would gate the lower bit off and use that for minding if it's big enough. Move washing to top lawn, shame not to use it when the sun shines :)

miffy
05-05-2009, 06:41 AM
I would gate the lower bit off and use that for minding if it's big enough. Move washing to top lawn, shame not to use it when the sun shines :)

I'd do the same.

It's difficult to tell from the photo but the steps look quite steep.

Miffy xx

gegele
05-05-2009, 07:57 AM
well fencing and gates are my husband trade so i would have fencing at the top and a gate. and i would have a guard at the bottom of stairs.

or

I would gate the stairs at the bottom and keep lil ones in bottom garden only and allow only big kids up.

good luck

Chatterbox Childcare
05-05-2009, 08:17 AM
Personally I wouldn't do anything unless you are going to leave them unsupervised. They learn to go up and down stairs and will do the same over the small wooden posts that are there

You cannot cocoon children forever and there must be some risks.

Saying that, if they are left out in the garden (you answer the phone, need the loo etc) then I would block off the steps so they are restricted to the bottom half of the garden. A stairgate door etc...

brillminder
05-05-2009, 09:51 AM
i agree, but maybe a small gate across steps and only let large children on top and keep bike type toys on bollom level , children soon learn the rules , lovely garden

Bushpig
05-05-2009, 10:06 AM
I would gate off bottom of steps, and let mindees use bottom half only, unless they're older kids.

mandy moo
06-05-2009, 12:15 PM
My garden split level too, but with a 4ft drop on to deck and paving! I have a gate at the bottom to stop little LO's getting up there
I have a metal fence along it which is a bout 1 ft high, with a rosemary bush growing up onside and the other has a gazebo type thing on the decking below and has a grape vine climbing up it so it doesnt really 'look' that dangerous.
Mrs Ofstead didnt have a propblem with it, even in November and the garden looked really bleak..