PDA

View Full Version : Opinions anyone?

Stix
04-05-2009, 07:48 PM
I'm 8 months pregnant and have written a letter of sorts to all of my parents to discuss what happens next. I think I will do a different one for my EYFS mindee as the circumstances are slightly different in his case. But please could you read it and tell me what you think?

Please be brutally honest. I haven't got any further than the following:

A note to all Parents Re Maternity Arrangements

Dear Parents,

As you are aware, I am now 8 months pregnant. I’d like to take this opportunity to discuss arrangements for when the baby arrives. My due date is Thursday 4th June. I am happy to continue to care for your children up to and past my due date should I go overdue.

However, due to the unpredictable nature of childbirth, I would ask that all emergency contacts are reviewed to ensure that should I need to contact you to collect your child, all numbers are valid.

Should I go into labour whilst caring for your child I will follow my Emergency Care procedure, a copy of which I have attached for your reference.

After the birth, it is a legal requirement that I take two weeks maternity leave. This period will be unpaid. Provided all is well, I am happy to resume minding after the two weeks is up.

Should there be any complications affecting my return to minding, you will be informed as soon as possible to allow other arrangements to be made. I will keep you informed of all developments and resume the care of your child when safe to do so.

Thanks everyone x

sarah707
04-05-2009, 07:50 PM
That sounds fine to me... I hope it all goes well for you xx

breezy
04-05-2009, 07:54 PM
sounds good, but are you bonkers? Only 2 weeks off?:eeeek:

Make sure you take enough time for yourself, take care and good luck x

Stix
04-05-2009, 08:01 PM
sounds good, but are you bonkers? Only 2 weeks off?:eeeek:

Make sure you take enough time for yourself, take care and good luck x

Hmmm, quite possibly :panic: But the one sthat would be back after 2 weeks are after schoolers. They are 9,9 and 10 and no trouble at all really. They love going to the park (easy for me to do with the baby and my two) and Junk modelling, which again, is easy enough for me. They go home for tea so I wouldn't have to be cooking for them and also they are all term time only so it would only be for about 4-6 weeks depending on when the baby arrives then I'd get the whole summer off.

Thanks girls, off to bed now as I have a 7am start and I'm shattered :yawning:

Pedagog
04-05-2009, 08:02 PM
That sounds okay, only I think as a parent I would probably want to be able to make firm arrangements, and so would prefer a planned date from when you intended to start your maternity leave, as it could be hard for them to arrange alternative childcare without a start date.

I know I would not have been fit to return to working two weeks after any of mine, in fact I was in hospital for 9 days with the first, 5 days with numbers 2 and 3, and 12 days with the 4th.

katickles
04-05-2009, 08:07 PM
I think your letter sounds fine :)

I am starting back to work tomorrow, my parents actually gave me an extra week as I was due last week but they felt i hadn't had long enough, how nice is that?!?!?

Good luck & I hope you have a good labour x

Stix
05-05-2009, 11:58 AM
That sounds okay, only I think as a parent I would probably want to be able to make firm arrangements, and so would prefer a planned date from when you intended to start your maternity leave, as it could be hard for them to arrange alternative childcare without a start date.

I know I would not have been fit to return to working two weeks after any of mine, in fact I was in hospital for 9 days with the first, 5 days with numbers 2 and 3, and 12 days with the 4th.

It works out better for everyone this way. The 9 year old girl is already booked in 5 days a week with the local after school club. She only comes to me on the days she has after school activities so her care is already sorted out, it just means that she can continue her after school activities right up until I have the baby.

The other two are brothers and I only have them 3:15-5:15. They are independent arrival and will be looked after by their grandparents whilst I am off. They (the boys) live literally a minute's walk from my house and their parents both work 5 minutes away. One day's short notice collection is much easier for them to sort out than having to arrange for grandparents to stay even longer.

I know I may not be up to returning to work straight away which is why I added the bit about complications. I was in 9 days with my first baby but with my second I was only in long enough to have a sleep afterwards. I'm lucky I suppose in that all of my mindees were taken on when I was already pregnant so all of the parents have been aware the whole time that this will be coming.

My 1 year old mindee will stay with me until I go into labour then will be collected (if necessary) by his mum, who also works 5 minutes away. That will be the last I have him as my baby is due on the 4th June and his parents are posted to Scotland on 22nd June.