PDA

View Full Version : Other setting question

Bex1
04-05-2009, 01:54 PM
Hi

I have a little girl all day on a Thursday and on two other days she goes to Nursery. Do I need to be in contact with Nursery or not? If so what do I need to tell them and what do I need to know.

Thanks

youarewhatyoueat
04-05-2009, 02:29 PM
I have just set up a diary that goes between the two settings and it is working well.It is just an a5 hardback notebook with a signed permission form to share info stuck inside. I wrote a note to the nursery and mum and put the folder in the childs bag and so far so good.
We are just dating it with info on what the child is doing,what he enjoys and what he doesn't enjoy.
Caroline

rickysmiths
04-05-2009, 03:29 PM
Have I read this right? This child is with you one day a week and at nursery for two days when you don't have her.

If I have read this correctly then the childminder does not take the child to or collect the child from the nursery.

Who is going to pay for your time if you go to the nursery to make contact? Frankly they don't know you and have no day to day contact with you.

I think sometimes this sharing information is going a bit mad. The schools are not interested because they do the whole of EYFS and to be honest the poor teachers are up to their eye balls in EYFS never mine sharing info with several childminders as well.

Again in all honesty not many schools will take any notice of a previous carers book, they will form their own opinion of the child. The only time it may be of interest is if the child has special needs of some sort.

Bex1
04-05-2009, 07:12 PM
No I dont take her or collect her..she is at Nursery Tues and Weds and with me Thurs so they probably dont know she is with me! I think I will not do anything...it makes my life a whole lot easier. Thanks Ricky :thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
04-05-2009, 08:59 PM
We are supposed to share information with other settings teh child attends. It is not just up to us to contact the 'other setting' - the other setting should - note should attempt to make contact with us and share - its all about supporting that child.

I have - for one of my children - attempted twice now to contact the other setting - once via the parent and once directly - to no avail. I have noted down my attempts and the response - this then covers me.
For a different child - contrary to what Ricky is saying - the reception teacher couldn't have been more receptive and welcoming. We actually shared information and it was extremely beneficial to both of us but overall it was of massive benefit to the child in question - not to mention mum - with all 3 of us working to the same tune R started to come on leaps and bounds. I only had this child twice a week for a few hours but it was worth all my time and effort. So on this score I will disagree with Ricky - school teachers may be extremely busy and they are just learning that us other settings have some very valuable information.

OK - so it seems that us minders seem to be doing all the chasing up of contacting other settings (although I have noticed some others saying the other setting have contacted them) and it seems to be us who are giving up our time but we are in such a strong position once and for all to be taken seriously as the professional carers that we actually are.

So I think to at least you are attempting to meet with the requirements then you should at least try to contact the other setting to discuss the childs progress and share info. If its rebuffed - fine you have tried, you record it as such but you have your proof for Ofsted

Mouse
05-05-2009, 08:16 AM
So I think to at least you are attempting to meet with the requirements then you should at least try to contact the other setting to discuss the childs progress and share info. If its rebuffed - fine you have tried, you record it as such but you have your proof for Ofsted

That is what me Ofsted inspector told me. She said that as long as I attempt to contact the other settings, then I am doing my job. If they fail to share info with me, then they are in the wrong. When they are inspected they will be expected to show how they work with other settings, including childminders, and many of them will fall down in this area.

As it happens, my nursery & reception teachers couldn't be more helpful & keep asking me when I can go in! I'm struggling to find the time when I haven't got lots of children with me, but they are very keen to work with me.

Chatterbox Childcare
05-05-2009, 08:23 AM
I wouldn't go and meet them but would suggest a diary book that the parent could put in the bag to go between settings.

Ofsted will want to see that the "whole" need of the child is being looked after and working together between settings.

Bushpig
05-05-2009, 08:55 AM
I do not do nursery runs (anymore) and went out of my way on a day off to go to the school and introduce myself to the teacher, asking about us sharing information about X etc.

And they have never got back to me.

They also have an oustanding grade... I kinda thought (hoped?) they'd live up to it and be keen for us to work together. I have worked at a nursery before though and it comes down to time.

At least I tried though.

Chatterbox Childcare
05-05-2009, 09:12 AM
I do not do nursery runs (anymore) and went out of my way on a day off to go to the school and introduce myself to the teacher, asking about us sharing information about X etc.

And they have never got back to me.

They also have an oustanding grade... I kinda thought (hoped?) they'd live up to it and be keen for us to work together. I have worked at a nursery before though and it comes down to time.

At least I tried though.

I would put something in writing and Ofsted can see that you have tried, otherwise you don't have any evidence.