PDA

View Full Version : First Parent Meeting

Little Poppins
10-02-2008, 11:27 AM
Hi All,

Aaaaahhhhhh!! Scarey bananas!

I have got my very first parent coming round in a couple of weeks time. Hopefully if the mum likes me I will be looking after her two children who at present are 2mnths and 1.5yrs, when I look after them they will be 9mnths and nearly 2yrs.
I have already told the mum that if she was to go with me we can meet up a few times between now and the placement date so that the children get to know me and I get to know them as it will help them to settle.

I know to get toys out for thier age group so that the chldren can play while mum and I chat. My friends and family have said just be yourself and you will be fine but I wondered if any of you professionals have any tips that would be useful to me.

I am very excited but as it is my first parent it is a bit daunting. I just dont want to mess up as it would be ideal being that it would take two of my placements. Also it must be hard finding a childminder that will have the two placements available for full time care. The mum has seen my website and really liked it and she even said she is going to bring a list of preschools when she comes so she can find one that is close to me.

As I said any tips would be greatly appreciated.:clapping:

Zoe
xx

www.littlepoppins.co.uk

deeb66
10-02-2008, 11:31 AM
The best piece of advise anyone could give is to just be yourself. Try to be calm and relaxed and you will be fine.

As well as talking to the mum interact with the children also....hold and talk to the baby and sit on the floor and play with the toddler.

Mum will be judging you on how well you get on with her and with the children....she will want to see that the children would feel comfortable in your house.

I hope this helps a little.

Good luck....don't forget to let us know how you get on

Lou
10-02-2008, 11:38 AM
Dee has given you some great advice.

Just relax and be yourself.

I normally give the parents my folders to look through with all my certificates and policys etc and while they are looking through that i play with children on the floor.

Good luck with the meeting x

sarah707
10-02-2008, 11:38 AM
Hi Zoe... how exciting!

Like Dee says a lot of it is how you interact with the children so concentrate on making sure they are happy...

Then relax and have a chat about how you intend to take care of her precious little one... Good luck! :D

Mollymop
10-02-2008, 11:57 AM
Hi Zoe, Good luck for when the time comes. XXX

angeldelight
10-02-2008, 03:00 PM
Good luck when it happens

Keep us posted

Angel xx

manjay
10-02-2008, 03:33 PM
I wish you loads of luck. I am sure you will be fine. Just remember not to hold those places for 6 months for free!!

amanda xx

tulip0803
10-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Well done. :jump for joy:

Make sure you have your certificates ready. Think of some of the activities that you will be doing with the children if they came - toddler groups, local parks, farms etc. So you can let the Mum know what kind of things the children would be doing.
Interact with the children although if the older one is shy don't go over the top trying to win their approval often if you sit on the floor and play with something interesting while you talk to Mum the little one gets curious and comes over.
If she wants you to mind the children charge a retainer for the period between now and then.

Juliaxx

Little Poppins
10-02-2008, 04:50 PM
Thankyou everyone for all your help I have quite a bit to go on now.

I will let you all know how it goes.

Zoe
x

LittleMissSparkles
10-02-2008, 05:17 PM
The best piece of advise anyone could give is to just be yourself. Try to be calm and relaxed and you will be fine.

As well as talking to the mum interact with the children also....hold and talk to the baby and sit on the floor and play with the toddler.

Mum will be judging you on how well you get on with her and with the children....she will want to see that the children would feel comfortable in your house.

I hope this helps a little.

Good luck....don't forget to let us know how you get on

totally agree with Dee, good luck xxx