PDA

View Full Version : Proof of who legal parents are??

HENNY
03-05-2009, 06:04 PM
I know that we are supposed to hold details of who legal parents are -should I be asking parents to show me child's birth certificate so that there are no doubts or is it just ok to ask them and record what they say?

FizzysFriends
03-05-2009, 06:07 PM
I don't ask to see the birth cert, mainly because if the child is older than 6 being on the birth cert doesn't mean they have PR and under 6 or over 6 if they aren't on the birth cert doesn't mean they don't have PR.

sarah707
03-05-2009, 06:26 PM
I don't feel it's my right to look at birth certificates.

I think you have to if you are accredited though, to prove they are eligible for the free sessions.

Otherwise I think you just have to accept what they tell you :D

Mouse
03-05-2009, 06:34 PM
To establish who has parental responsibility I use the form from the Bromley website and give it to parents to complete. I accept that what they tell me is the truth and I don't look into it to check whether or not it is.
I think that is all we are expected to do and I certainly wouldn't check a birth certificate. I know nurseries/schools do, but I think that is more to check date of birth & identity rather than to see who the parents are.

HENNY
03-05-2009, 07:12 PM
thank you all:clapping:

her8y
03-05-2009, 09:18 PM
Slightly off thread but i have recently attended an advanced safeguarding children course and we were advised that it is good practice to obtain a copy of the birth certificate for child protection purposes. I uncomfortably followed this advice and parents were willing. one of my mindees had a middle name(yes I did ask when completing contracts) and another ones name on her cert was spelt very diff to that on my contract! :rolleyes:

rickysmiths
03-05-2009, 10:20 PM
I have been doing Child Protection and now as they are called Safeguarding Children coursesfor 15 years now - the latest one 27th April.
I have done the advanced Designated Persons course and it has never been suggested that we obtain copies of a childs birth certificate.

I actually don't think it is any of my business to ask for it, never mind be responsible for keeping a copy of such a valuble personal document in my house!

I can't think how they would be of any significance for Child Protection?

youarewhatyoueat
03-05-2009, 11:37 PM
I don't ask for any additional paperwork other than asking the parent to fill out the child record form from the ncma and the contract, I am in no doubt that they are the parents and would not ask for extra proof, what is it I should be doing extra to proof parental rights/responsibility I am unsure? should I only be getting extra forms filled out if the parents are seperated?
Caroline

HENNY
03-05-2009, 11:44 PM
Seems we are all still a bit confused-I raised issue because NCMA Development worker mentioned it to me and after she had left it occured to me I hadn't asked her properly about how to get and record this information and also to be sure it is correct!:panic:

FussyElmo
04-05-2009, 06:02 AM
Ok this is what I thought.

Any parents who are married automatically have parental responsibility.

After 2003 (gosh I hope that's right) any parents named on the birth certificate have automatically parental responsibilty.

Before 2003 the Dad would have had to gone to court to obtain parent responsibility. :)

FizzysFriends
04-05-2009, 08:06 AM
I don't ask for any additional paperwork other than asking the parent to fill out the child record form from the ncma and the contract, I am in no doubt that they are the parents and would not ask for extra proof, what is it I should be doing extra to proof parental rights/responsibility I am unsure? should I only be getting extra forms filled out if the parents are seperated?
Caroline

You need a form that lists who has PR and who has legal contact with each child. There is a form on Bromley that I used I just changed it a bit.

sarah707
04-05-2009, 08:49 AM
This is something that came in as a legal requirement with the Eyfs Caroline L...

It's on this page of the Statutory REquirements -

http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/eyfs/site/requirements/welfare/safeguarding/index.htm

And it says -

Providers must obtain necessary information from parents in advance of a child being admitted to the provision, including:

* emergency contact numbers;
* the child's special dietary requirements, preferences or food allergies the child may have;
* the child's special health requirements;
* information about who has legal contact with the child; and who has parental responsibility for the child.

Unfortunately if you have Ncma paperwork it might well be out of date. That is why you need to put your own form together.

As Fizzy says, you can get a download from www.bromleycma.org.uk and change it to your wording.

hth :D

huggableshelly
04-05-2009, 08:54 AM
the new ncma contracts have the parental responsibility added onto them which is great but doesnt explain to the parents why it is needed and doesnt have a space to get both signatures unless the contract is signed by both.

most of my contracts are signed by mothers with fathers named on them, only one contract is signed by both but once i update all contracts i'll have to ensure both parents sign now to cover the parental responsibility thingy i think.

youarewhatyoueat
04-05-2009, 11:55 AM
I am probably being thick here as usual but if the parents have split up unless you ask to see a court order how are you going to know the mother is telling the truth and how do you get both to sign if one parent lives away and has never met me, I've got to be honest I feel really awkward having to ask the question, I have one mum with children from different fathers and she is very private and to be honest I don't want to know as the one daughter is friends with my daughter.
I've just spent 10 minutes trying to find the relevant form on the bromley site, can someone point me in the right direction please.
I'm beginning to feel really bogged down with info!!
Caroline

FizzysFriends
04-05-2009, 12:02 PM
PM me your email address and I will mail you my form.

You don't need parents to sign but you do need the info, its very importmant that you know what has PR and legal contact.

If it makes you feel uncomfortable write a letter and hand that the parents with the forms, but its in the best interests of the parents to give you the information.

HENNY
04-05-2009, 01:11 PM
I am probably being thick here as usual but if the parents have split up unless you ask to see a court order how are you going to know the mother is telling the truth and how do you get both to sign if one parent lives away and has never met me, I've got to be honest I feel really awkward having to ask the question, I have one mum with children from different fathers and she is very private and to be honest I don't want to know as the one daughter is friends with my daughter.
I've just spent 10 minutes trying to find the relevant form on the bromley site, can someone point me in the right direction please.
I'm beginning to feel really bogged down with info!!
Caroline

Sorry Caroline didnt want to set people off worrying about another bit of pap er work at least we are a bit cleare now!!! Thanks to everyone.Im off on holiday with some friends for a few days think I'll leave the paper work for a few days!Hope you having a good Bank hol.:) :) :clapping: