PDA

View Full Version : any1 converted garage in2 play room

carebear25
02-05-2009, 06:27 PM
Hi

we have a garage at the back of house which is used for nothin but storage, thinkin of mayb turnin half of it in2 a play room by brickin up behind the door an dividin in2 2 - am i gonna need plannin permission!!

LittleMissSparkles
02-05-2009, 07:53 PM
i have thought about doin this to but not sure how it would be feesable as regards regulations and ofsted so be interested in any replies also. Our garage is not attached to our house but is accessible from our enclosed garden x

carebear25
02-05-2009, 07:54 PM
i have thought about doin this to but not sure how it would be feesable as regards regulations and ofsted so be interested in any replies also. Our garage is not attached to our house but is accessible from our enclosed garden x

same here, u cant use as garage really as angle it is on!!

jellytot
03-05-2009, 07:13 AM
we did ours in our old house, never got planning permission, we were told as long as they were studded walls we didnt need it. No questions when we moved all ok with solicitors etc. Maybe just check as everywhere has different regulations depending on your council.

FizzysFriends
03-05-2009, 07:42 AM
I haven't the reason being that I wouldn't have anywhere to put the stuff thats in the garage at the moment.

Im not sure how practical it would be if your garage isn't accessable from the house. For instance what would happen when you go to the loo?

carebear25
03-05-2009, 09:30 AM
:) Garage runs parallel wit back of house so is as accessible for bathroom as playin in the back yard

sarahlou
03-05-2009, 09:46 AM
I ve just finished mine. kept garage door and boarded in side so from front still looks like a garage and i can put pushchairs in the front. We didn't need pp as it can easily be converted back. Best thing i eva did with plastering and heatin etc it only cost 1,000 kids love it:)

LittleMissSparkles
03-05-2009, 12:38 PM
I ve just finished mine. kept garage door and boarded in side so from front still looks like a garage and i can put pushchairs in the front. We didn't need pp as it can easily be converted back. Best thing i eva did with plastering and heatin etc it only cost 1,000 kids love it:)

what did ofsted think to it for safety etc as only one door out and im worried that children would have to be left to go to the loo or them to go to the loo etc ... our garage is accessible through the garden which is secure and has a door into the garden

Nix
03-05-2009, 01:14 PM
I haven't as bf wouldn't let me:rolleyes: but when I had my letter from planning one of the questions is 'have you adapted your home to facilitate your business' and I wonder whether if I had converted the garage if I would have to have applied.

Might be worth speaking with the local borough council as I know they are all different.:thumbsup:

HENNY
03-05-2009, 02:54 PM
As long as you dont alter the basic structure you dont need planning permission.:jump for joy:

CCJD
04-05-2009, 07:16 AM
I had mine done a couple of years ago - but my garage is integral- bricked up the front and added a window in. As we were not changing boundary we did not need planning permission but did need to follow building regs (charged a couple of hundred to have work inspected - they were great- spoke to builders on phone about what they would need to see ( one small wall needed double skinning and supports put in over doorway).
Mine is a proper room so Ofsted love it - you would have to ask those who have platerboarded up their garage door what comments (if any) they have had.
Our garage was only ever used as a junk store and it was the best thing we ever did

Jen4Kids
04-05-2009, 02:13 PM
Our garage had been converted into a dining room/study when we moved in 4 years ago, unfortunetly they didnt get it signed off/checked properly, so we had an awful few weeks getting an imdemnity policy (think thats what its called) so we could get the mortgage on the house - the owners wouldnt do a thing to help :angry:

Anyway, the did a rubbish job converting it so we ended up taking the floor up, re-doing the concrete floor and laying laminate flooring as the original floor wasnt level and had rotten wood used as supports :eek:

Only last week, we took the 6ft dining table out and into the front room and ive been slowly turning it into my playroom :clapping: Its got a 6ft window where the garage door was and a half glazed side door which takes you to the garden plus its joined to the kitchen as it was originally an integral garage. Its been lovely to leave the toys out and not see it from the front room :thumbsup: