PDA

View Full Version : how many risk assessments do i need

Trouble
02-05-2009, 11:09 AM
house all rooms -----kitchen/front room/dining /hall stairs/bedroom/toilet/bathroom/
car/bus
pets/pets area
general outing/about things to take and we use
garden/toys
toys /equipment

whats missing??????:eek: :eek: i know there are some

is it each place you visit:idea:

thank you

breezy
02-05-2009, 02:05 PM
I have ones for regular visits like the park, toddler group, library, farm etc and then do them for one off visits separately HTH:D

huggableshelly
02-05-2009, 03:38 PM
you need a seperate r/a for every place you visit along with your general outings one.

Trouble
02-05-2009, 09:17 PM
thank you ladies:thumbsup: :D

Mollymop
02-05-2009, 10:22 PM
I have ones for regular visits like the park, toddler group, library, farm etc and then do them for one off visits separately HTH:D

Me too and ones for pets and house, etc x

sarah707
03-05-2009, 08:16 AM
The Eyfs says you must risk assess everything the children come into contact with... :D

breezy
03-05-2009, 09:26 AM
The Eyfs says you must risk assess everything the children come into contact with... :D

even dh?:eek: Now where on earth would i start?:laughing:

Seriously though Sarah, how do we know when we have enough?
Is there anything obvious we might miss?
I've a risk assessment for an outing to the park so do i have to risk assess the play equipment separately? It could go on and on.

huggableshelly
03-05-2009, 10:08 AM
can you just include the risks on the main outing to the park rather than have 6 r/a for the park itself ? that is all i have done.

sarah707
03-05-2009, 10:09 AM
even dh?:eek: Now where on earth would i start?:laughing:

I risk assess the teenagers... and the older children who come.

I haven't risk assessed Nige though.. maybe I should :laughing:

Seriously though Sarah, how do we know when we have enough?
Is there anything obvious we might miss?
I've a risk assessment for an outing to the park so do i have to risk assess the play equipment separately? It could go on and on.

I have no idea tbh! It's subjective isn't it?

An inspector picked someone up recently for missing a RA on an outing she occasionally does... she'd read about the outing on one piece of paper, cross referenced and looked for the RA and it wasn't here. That's just a basic oversight but one we clearly cannot afford to make.

On the other hand you could drive yourself potty if you started a RA for the swing, another for the slide, another for the play bark... I would suggest a mention that there is large play equipment; a reminder to children that they should not run in front of swings; a note that you will visually check bark and talk to children about the dangers of playing with it... that would be enough.

However, another thing to remember is that yes they are a pain and yes they do take time... but once done they can run and run. All you need to do then is make sure they are updated if something changes / you take on a new child / once a year to say you've had a good look through them / read through before the outing to check it's up to date...

Hth :D

breezy
03-05-2009, 04:03 PM
Thanks Sarah, that really helps I think I do need to make my risk assessments like that a bit more detailed, it's hard because I'm trying to simplify my paperwork at the moment! Like you say though ra's could be an infinite task!

PixiePetal
03-05-2009, 04:07 PM
:( Still need to sort mine.

Got childrens obs up to date today as DH was working, what an exciting weekend :rolleyes:

RA are my next project. Been writing notes in my diary when I have been to a park/group etc of things to note. Shouldn't take too long to write them up in basic form then will tweak as I go along :)

estrelas
03-05-2009, 06:06 PM
i have to risk assess the children??????????????

good god!:eek:

sarah707
03-05-2009, 06:29 PM
i have to risk assess the children??????????????

good god!:eek:

:laughing: Mine are teenagers and prone to leaving stair gates open / putting their rubbish under sofa seats / being lazy about leaving cables lying around / forgetting to pick up their shoes / putting school bags containing nice sharp scissors and epipens on low shelves... helpful things like that :rolleyes:

I find if I have it written in a risk assessment it helps me focus on what they might be up to... so I can streamline my nagging :D

Trouble
03-05-2009, 06:32 PM
i have 9 now done by myself:D not hubby who is a h& S man

do i need one for art stuff???????