PDA

View Full Version : accident book entries

hectors house
01-05-2009, 01:28 PM
Hi - what kind of things do you document in your NCMA (or similar) accident/incident folders - up to now I have been putting in every little scratch and mark and getting parents to sign a new form each time - but as we legally have to keep these folders under the child is 21 years and a couple of days - (in case they want to sue me when they are an adult), worried about storage implications -

Can I have an exercise type book to document little things that probably didn't need any first aid, just a cuddle and keep the forms for bigger things? - the Ofsted inspector last month said "haven't you had any major accidents or been to hospital?" she seemed a bit disappointed, I'm not - one parent is stressy enough with the things I have entered about her child as it is.

Bananabrain
01-05-2009, 02:17 PM
Haven't you had any major accidents or been to hospital?:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

surely the fact that you haven't shows that you are doing your job properly?

What are these inspectors like?

I write every tiny little scratch down,including existing scratches.I figure that way no-one can catch me out.I have had parents look at me as if I am mad because by the time they turn up,they can't see much sign of anything.

As to the other questions,can't help i'm afraid.

huggableshelly
01-05-2009, 03:08 PM
I only use the ncma record sheets, when a child leaves me I remove all of the accident sheets and file them with the child's other information so it is all together then if ever there is an issue I will not have to sort through hundreds of books.

i do not know if what I do is right or wrong but it is the way I prefer to keep records.

sarah707
01-05-2009, 03:36 PM
I only use the ncma record sheets, when a child leaves me I remove all of the accident sheets and file them with the child's other information so it is all together then if ever there is an issue I will not have to sort through hundreds of books.

i do not know if what I do is right or wrong but it is the way I prefer to keep records.

That's how I keep records as well... I put everything in the child's folder.

I explained it was better that way for confidentiality as I have a lot of teens through the house and the inspector was fine with it! :D

Mollymop
01-05-2009, 03:54 PM

I do this too. Once a child leaves I keep the accident records with their contractual information, etc. xx

rickysmiths
01-05-2009, 04:19 PM

If I removed all the pages of my accident book each time a child left it would fall apart!!!:eek:

I do archive the childs folder but the Accident books are also kept in tact. Maybe after reading this thread I will list the names of the children recorded in the book on the outside but the books are already dated with a start and finish date.

To be honest this thread makes it sound as if we are all going to have hundreds of Accient books to plough through if the worst happens in 20 odd years time. :eek:

I dont know about anyone else but I have been working as a childminder for 15years and I am only on my third Accident book now!!!!! I have just ordered one of the new NCMA folders. This will probably see me out maybe with some refils and I'm not intending to retire for a good 10 years!!! I don't consider going through these if I have to, as a major problem, though frankly if it got to that level it would probably be the lawyers doing the searching if they can find me first!!!!!:laughing:

sweets
01-05-2009, 05:27 PM
I don't write every little scratch or graze in my accident book, but i note in their dailiy diaries. The other day though a mindee bust her lip so that went in accident book. If you wrote every little tumble down you would get through loads of books!

huggableshelly
01-05-2009, 06:12 PM
whew I'm glad otehrs do it the way I am too.

I'm on book 4 ... well replacement sheets but got thousands of spare medication forms!

TheBTeam
01-05-2009, 09:21 PM
If I removed all the pages of my accident book each time a child left it would fall apart!!!:eek:

I do archive the childs folder but the Accident books are also kept in tact. Maybe after reading this thread I will list the names of the children recorded in the book on the outside but the books are already dated with a start and finish date.

To be honest this thread makes it sound as if we are all going to have hundreds of Accient books to plough through if the worst happens in 20 odd years time. :eek:

I dont know about anyone else but I have been working as a childminder for 15years and I am only on my third Accident book now!!!!! I have just ordered one of the new NCMA folders. This will probably see me out maybe with some refils and I'm not intending to retire for a good 10 years!!! I don't consider going through these if I have to, as a major problem, though frankly if it got to that level it would probably be the lawyers doing the searching if they can find me first!!!!!:laughing:

I have been minding 5 years and have just finished my first book and ordered a folder! I have had to make more of the child record bits at the back though as they only give you 6 and i need nearer 16!

I too have kept the books intact, but i did notice the note on the new folder that we have to call ncma and ask for an accident/incident form to complete for our insurers if we use NCMA, what is that all about, they will not want us calling for every tiny scratch etc thats for sure!!!

rickysmiths
01-05-2009, 09:35 PM
Well I don't know about that because at the moment I though we only had to inform of a major incident or a death. I've been told I should get my book in the next ten days so I'll have to have a look.