PDA

View Full Version : Environmental Health Inspection

grindal
01-05-2009, 10:16 AM
Morning All
Has anybody had one of these yet? I only started minding last week and was phoned yesterday by a guy from Environmental Health who is coming to inspect me on Wednesday. Should I panic - what will they be looking for?
Grindal

FizzysFriends
01-05-2009, 10:27 AM
I hope its nothing to worry about, I think they just check your kitchen.

Im actually on hold with EH at the moment so might be in the same boat as you very soon.

Helen79
01-05-2009, 11:19 AM
I've had mine. He looked at the kitchen very briefly, literally glanced around the door. He didn't look in the fridge either. His wife had just had a baby so he probably wasn't as thorough as he should have been lol he looked v tired bless him.

He looked at my fridge temperature records & said I should be recording it daily instead of weekly. I'm really not sure why I wasn't recording it daily anyway as I check it everyday.

He gave me forms to fill out about how i store food & clean the kitchen but these were for my own records.

It wasn't as scary as I'd imagined. Hope it goes ok for you.

sarahlou
01-05-2009, 11:24 AM
We just have to fill in a questionnaire for ors but let us know how u get on

samd35
01-05-2009, 02:13 PM
I only had to complete a form too. They said thats all that happens and I'm now registered with them.

x

Nix
01-05-2009, 02:52 PM
Hi

Had mine a while ago now, it was fine. The made sure the kitchen was clean...the granite was gleaming! They checked the fridge and ensured I knew about correct storage and temperatures and that was about it.

A good document is Safer Food Better Business by the Food Standards Agency (sorry not got time to put a link on but may pop back later if no one else has)...try google.

Nix,x :D

grindal
01-05-2009, 08:00 PM
Thank you I have the SFBB pack already so will get that out amd hope it makes it look like I know what I am talking about. I would quite like my Ofsted to come around this quickly too - in a weird sort of way!!
Grindal

Zoomie
02-05-2009, 07:59 PM
I phoned up last week to register, and then nothing arrived in the post.

I called this week, and they said they would send everything out.

Two days later, I received a call saying that as soon as they get my form back, someone will call me to arrange an inspection. :(

Not a happy bunny, as now it means I HAVE to clean my kitchen top to botton .... but it is probably a good thing, cos I don't tend to do things unless they are really bad, or I have to :blush:

TheBTeam
02-05-2009, 08:09 PM
I am in dacorum, part of hemel hempstead and i know a lot of childminders who registered with the eho and told them what sort of food etc we prepare and they have not inspected any of us!

Cazz
02-05-2009, 09:33 PM
Is this another regional thing?

My hubbie is a head chef and when he had his recent EHO inspection at work he mentioned that I was registering to be a childminder and asked if I would have inspections as we now have to register as a food business.

He wasn't even aware of this and certainly didn't know of any plans to inspect Childminders, he thought it most unlikely.

Carole x

Pipsqueak
02-05-2009, 09:37 PM
No Cazz its a national thing but only some regions are enforcing it

Had my inspection a couple of weeks ago now - she came in, sat on my sofa (nowhere near my kitchen) - we talked - she looked at my Safer business better food pack - 15 minutes later declared I was fine and went:thumbsup:

(I had even defrosted my freezer - upshot though is that I can actually get something in the top shelf now lol)

Cazz
02-05-2009, 09:50 PM
So they do let you know that they're coming then. DH's inspections are unannounced - I realise that they're on a larger scale though.

I better get my hands on one of those safer business packs then - thanks for that Pipsqueak.

Carole x

Pipsqueak
02-05-2009, 10:03 PM
You are welcome Cazz - you need the for Caterers pack not the other one which is for BIG businesses.

You also have to register yourself with your local environmental health