PDA

View Full Version : tv time

mushpea
30-04-2009, 06:10 PM
hi just wonded if you let your mindess play whilst watching tv or if you cleared all the toys away and had tv time? my kids dont watch it very often so when they do they are glued to the screen and dont do anything else but the minded children dont seem to sit and watch the program but play inseted, one girl even brought me a book half way through the program to read today!
Their ages are 2.5yrs, 3yrs and 18months, obviously i dont expect the little one to sit and watch but would expect the other two to, dont really see the point of having it on if they are going to play when watching thought if i tidy away the toys they might watch it but then not sure about the 18month old.
what do you think

huggableshelly
30-04-2009, 06:15 PM
i have a tv addict mindee and one who ignores the tv.
I like to have the tv on as its additional noise (bad habbit of mine) but its usually on cbeebies channel unless we have a dvd on for dance story or song time.

none of my parents have ever commented on the tv being on when they pick up, none have stated they do not want their child to watch the tv and all know that fridays after school is dvd night unless we are out and about.

if they show no interest in it at all then save your energy and leave it off!

TheBTeam
30-04-2009, 06:16 PM
I never generally have the tv on between school hours, once in a blue moon we put it on and as soon as they stop watching to play again it goes off!

After school it is on a bit more because my dd loves it, but if the noise levels go to high or they all disappear then i turn it off!

Mouse
30-04-2009, 06:17 PM
We only have 10 minutes TV time after lunch, while I do the washing up.

I put CBeebies on and put books & puzzles out, so the children can either watch TV or do something quiet. Some will sit glued to it, others just glance at it.

haribo
30-04-2009, 06:21 PM
i have a quick tidy up if they watch telly but dont really worry about them playing as well ,unless its home time then i try and put stuff away so im reasonably straight when theyve gone. otherwise theres stuff out all day and ive 2 little ones who cant sit still anyway lol so they dont actually watch much tv . older ones yes id say put your stuff away if you want to watch telly it gets done in no time lol

PixiePetal
30-04-2009, 06:26 PM
I have one mindee (4yrs) who has no TV at home, parents choice. They asked at interview about it and if it would be a problem as they don't want him watching just any old thing at mine either. I only have it on for short time to see specific programmes now he is older. Loves Thomas the Tank and childrens nature/interest programmes and Come Outside.

Another pair of siblings (different days to other mindee) obviously love Cbeebies :laughing: They know them all. Put it on after lunch for 3yr old and he relaxes and sometimes sleeps - so I get time on the forum as little sister sleeps then too :thumbsup: :blush:

ORKSIE
30-04-2009, 06:31 PM
I only have the TV on while i'm doing lunch, to keep them ocupied. It goes off while they eat or else they usually miss their mouths cos theyre glued to it.
I put in for a while for my after schoolers while i'm preparing tea, it goes off while they eat cos they worse than the LO's:laughing:

mushpea
30-04-2009, 06:35 PM
I only have the TV on while i'm doing lunch, to keep them ocupied. It goes off while they eat or else they usually miss their mouths cos theyre glued to it.
I put in for a while for my after schoolers while i'm preparing tea, it goes off while they eat cos they worse than the LO's:laughing:

see, this was my plan, to keep them occupied for a few minutes whilst i made lunch but didnt work as they wont sit and watch it anyway, to be honset i havent really bothered putting it on becasuse they dont sit and watch it and after school they are to busy playing anyway so prehaps i just wont bother then.

ORKSIE
30-04-2009, 06:41 PM
see, this was my plan, to keep them occupied for a few minutes whilst i made lunch but didnt work as they wont sit and watch it anyway, to be honset i havent really bothered putting it on becasuse they dont sit and watch it and after school they are to busy playing anyway so prehaps i just wont bother then.

They prob dont need it then, so as you say dont bother.
They are obviously happy without it:thumbsup:

singlewiththree
30-04-2009, 06:58 PM
I hate distraction noise (had ear problems as a child) so the TV is off unless its being watched. My DD3 is a TV addict but only Mr Tumble and the mindees usually don't mind it so if they are exhausted after the walk back while I'm making lunch I usually let them watch an episode but apart from that its not on at all.

Tatjana
30-04-2009, 07:18 PM
I've not had any mindees, but i intend to do what i do with my own children. We have the tv on and they enjoy their programmes, as soon as they start losing interest and getting toys out the tv goes off.

We try to limit the amount they watch too, as don't want them to turn into couch potatoes!

xx

sarah707
30-04-2009, 07:43 PM
My 2 had Tv time as a treat and they don't over watch it now which is good.

I'm the same with the mindees it goes on as a treat but if they start faffing about I turn it off... they are clearly not interested and we go and find something else to do, not a problem :D

sweets
30-04-2009, 08:11 PM
my two mindees 3 and 4 watch about 40mins cbeebies after lunch, its their quiet time and my me time? they snuggle on sofa with a blanket and their teddies. sometimes we will also have it on from about 4.30 while waiting for mums. they enjoy it and i don't see the harm in it as long as they watch quality programmes.:)