PDA

View Full Version : Tea break!

venus89
30-04-2009, 05:40 PM
It's 5pm, I've bee hands on with the little ones all day long. Baby H is crawling around the floor practicing his new found skills and I want to sit downwith a cuppa. He's perfectly happy crawling around the room and within my sight at all times. Is it OK for me to just sit down with a cuppa if the LOs are happy and busy and I've been playing with them all the rest of the day? If so, why do I always feel so guilty if I'm not down on the floor with them?!

Pipsqueak
30-04-2009, 06:14 PM
Yes, I would say its acceptable and deserved. :thumbsup:

huggableshelly
30-04-2009, 06:17 PM
you are entitled to a tea break and regular drinks whilst working ... you would be rubbish if you allowed yourself to become dehydrated!

TheBTeam
30-04-2009, 06:22 PM
You should definitely have time for a drink, you also need to let the little ones play on their own at times, it should not always be necessary to be playing with them.

One thing i have learnt over the years and from the EYFS training, we should not be involved in all of the play, the children need time to play in their own way. I sometimes sit and just watch them, and be ready to answer questions or offer help if needed, but let them guide themselves how they use stuff.

It is also good for children to learn that they can not always have an adults full attention and they can amuse themselves.

It does take some time to get used to, when i sat watching for ages it was like being paid for nothing, but you are there still supporting, encouraging and meeting their needs, so you are still doing your job.

ajs
30-04-2009, 06:32 PM
as my baby ( mindee ) sleeps after lunch i let the other 3 go and play and i sit at the table and eat my lunch sometimes if they are happy playing and tootling between the kitchen and playroom i can even put the news on.
if they need me i get up and deal with them and i probably have no more then 10 minutes but i think it's important that we eat and drink in peace too

so don't feel guilty you work very hard why shouldn't you sit down with a cup of tea

venus89
30-04-2009, 06:37 PM
:D I love you lot :D

I do always feel like I'm slacking off if I just let them get on with it for ten minutes but sometimes they just don't need me interfering

ORKSIE
30-04-2009, 06:38 PM
They need Free Play and time to explore toys etc by themselfs.
So take this opp and have a cuppa, you can sit, talk but let them have some independance. so go for it:thumbsup:

PixiePetal
30-04-2009, 06:39 PM
When I have done lunch for 3 under 5's, I set up toys, put one who need a sleep down and get my lunch in relative peace. It's a lounge/diner that I work in so I am there, but they know I will help with anything when I have finished eating. If they are stuck with a puzzle they get used to waiting for a few mins before I go to help - or persevere and complete it :)

Tatjana
30-04-2009, 07:23 PM
I think it's unrealistic to be there every single minute, they won't have undivided attention anywhere else and need to learn about independence.

Hope you enjoyed your cuppa!;)

xx

jibberjitz
30-04-2009, 07:29 PM
I agree, a cuppa is definately in order :laughing:

sweets
30-04-2009, 08:17 PM
i have a 3 and 4 year old that play really well together. i don't play with them constantly as i don't think they want the interference! i quite often sit at the table and do some paperwork and write up obs while they are playing.
Children need time to learn to play together without adults always being around.:)

Nix
01-05-2009, 03:03 PM
Of course you can...sit back and enjoy!! Gosh don't know what I'd do without my cuppa's:eek:

Nix,x

sweets
01-05-2009, 05:32 PM
just out of interest how many cuppas do you have a day?
My mum was horrified when it told her i have about 5 coffees a day! i have 1 before mindees come and one in the evening and about 3 during the day
I didn't think it was bad lol. I only have instant and its not as though there espressos!:laughing: :laughing:

ORKSIE
01-05-2009, 07:19 PM
I also have about 5 coffees, not all get completely drunk tho, cos sometimes they get left to go cold:(