PDA

View Full Version : Holly bush in the garden

claireodon
30-04-2009, 02:27 PM
Hi, preparing for my pre-reg visit at the mo but (amongst other things :panic:) worried about what Ofsted will make of the holly bush I have in my garden! I have a large garden with flower borders and about half way down, instead of a fence, we have a holly bush between us and next door. I have cut it right back and warn children that it is prickly and to steer clear of it but do you think Ofsted will find that acceptable or will they restrict use of the garden because of it?

Daftbat
30-04-2009, 02:55 PM
I think they might restrict use of the garden. I have heard of people being asked to remove holly bushes before as they are really horrible for kids to fall in to or catch as they walk past.

Mouse
30-04-2009, 03:45 PM
Could you use some temporary fencing round it? I had one section of my garden where the paving slabs weren't safe and I used some of the fencing to keep the children away. The fencing I got was about 2ft high & just pushed into the ground. It meant I could easily remove it if I didn't want it there. Ofsted were more than happy with that.

claireodon
30-04-2009, 04:27 PM
Could you use some temporary fencing round it? I had one section of my garden where the paving slabs weren't safe and I used some of the fencing to keep the children away. The fencing I got was about 2ft high & just pushed into the ground. It meant I could easily remove it if I didn't want it there. Ofsted were more than happy with that.

Thats a good idea. Where did you get it from?

sarah707
30-04-2009, 05:04 PM
I would either fence it off or take it up and replace it with fencing.

It is not worth the risk of a child falling into it.

I wouldn't be able to relax with it in the garden.

Good luck with your pre-reg :D

sweets
30-04-2009, 05:05 PM
i got some little picket fence from argos its only about a foot high and you just push it into the ground. I think it was about £12 but if you buy 2 packs you get 1 free as well.

madasahatter
30-04-2009, 07:32 PM
I have berberis hedging all around my side garden, which is very prickly (sharp little needles that get stuck in my skin when gardening). Ofsted have never commented. I find that the children go through a phase of patting the hedge to feel the prickles when they are about 2 to 3 years old and they work out the risk themselves. Personally I would feel as you are aware of the risk then you will warn the children and they will learn that it is prickly in the same way that children learn not to walk through nettles wearing shorts.
Life is full of risks and we can't cotton wool children, they have to learn. The likelyhood is that a child is probably less likely to fall into the holly bush than they are to fall and bang their head on paving/steps etc.
I would wait and see what ofsted say. If they comment, then have some suggestions up your sleeve.