PDA

View Full Version : Flu pandemic guidance

sarah707
30-04-2009, 09:12 AM
Here is the latest guidance -

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/emergencies/planning/flupandemic/

The HPA are suggesting that we put together an emergency plan that we share with parents.

There are downloads off the link that will help.

angeldelight
30-04-2009, 09:16 AM
Thanks Sarah thats useful

Angel xx

Mouse
30-04-2009, 09:21 AM
It's good to see that they specifically mention childminders:

SECTION 3C – CHILDMINDERS - ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
3.17 Childminders should only look after children if they themselves and their own children are well, and should not look after children who are infected with pandemic flu.
What you should do now
3.18 This advice is for all childminders. We strongly recommend that you should:
. ■ Read the NHS leaflet for families available from DH 08701 555 455 or dh@prolog.uk.com or at www.dh.gov.uk/pandemicflu . Information for parents which you may also findhelpful can be found at www.parentscentre.gov.uk or www.direct.gov.uk/Parents/fs/en ;
. ■ Familiarise yourself with Government advice on personal hygiene education on http://www.wiredforhealth.gov.uk/cat.php?catid=838 , and general guidance on infectioncontrol, incl personal hygiene and seasonal influenza, at: www.wiredforhealth.gov.uk/cat.php?catid=917 New guidance will be added as itbecomes available;
. ■ Ensure that you are fully equipped with materials needed to implement infection control measures (e.g. tissues and tissue-disposal; hot water and soap), in time to cope with any imminent pandemic;
. ■ Speak to your local authority or childminder network co-ordinator and parents to decide on what your responsibilities are if there is a flu pandemic;
. ■ Emergency arrangements if children need to be sent home before the time normally arranged with parents;
.■ Plan your method of communication with parents, in consultation with the local authority and make sure your contact details are up to date. You could consider:
. • text-messaging
. • phone calls
. • email
. • parents volunteering to phone others.

What you should do during a pandemic
3.19 If you and your own children are well you should carry on as normal, but you should:
. ■ Make sure that you follow the infection control guidance;
. ■ Stay alert to any sign that children in your care (including your own) may be unwell. If any do show signs of having flu, contact their parents and make arrangements to have them returned home. Let the parents of any other children you care for know that their children may have been exposed to infection, but so long as they and you are well you should continue to care for them as normal;
. ■ Make sure that any child you care for who has been unwell is fully recovered before they return to your care. Children who have recovered will not fall ill again and will not spread infection to others.

3.20 If you feel unwell with flu symptoms you should:
.a. Not look after other people’s children and take sensible precautions for the care of any children of your own;
.b. Inform the parents of all the children you care for and ask them to make alternative arrangements for childcare;
.c. Not agree to care for any children until you are fully recovered.

3.21 Those who have been infected and recovered may be immune to further infection from that strain of virus, and may have cross-protection from any related strain. Before accepting children into your care, make sure you follow the infection control guidance, take sensible precautions and carry on doing so until the pandemic is over.

huggableshelly
30-04-2009, 10:16 AM
Thanks Sarah

i've already put the kleanex posters up to encourage more hand washing.

I'm waiting to hear from a parent who is being tested today ... I've been thinking about writing something but didnt know where to start ... this is a huge help.

RedDragon
30-04-2009, 10:39 AM
http://www.kleenex.co.uk/sneezesafe/teachers_zone/sample_request.aspx

Free samples

michellethegooner
30-04-2009, 10:55 AM
do we need ANOTHER policy or can we just print out guidance and pop it in folder?

TheBTeam
30-04-2009, 11:54 AM
Thanks Sarah

i've already put the kleanex posters up to encourage more hand washing.

I'm waiting to hear from a parent who is being tested today ... I've been thinking about writing something but didnt know where to start ... this is a huge help.

EEUuuuuGHHHH, they are not near me are they! Sounds a bit close for comfort! Guessing you didn't go to group today, neither did i, i went to buy a little people train track!

wendywu
30-04-2009, 11:57 AM
When i did the Flu Pandemic course over a year ago they said it would be a good practice to have a policy.:)

nell57
30-04-2009, 12:04 PM
Thank you Sarah:thumbsup:

huggableshelly
30-04-2009, 12:33 PM
EEUuuuuGHHHH, they are not near me are they! Sounds a bit close for comfort! Guessing you didn't go to group today, neither did i, i went to buy a little people train track!

HE IS WAITING FOR RESULTS ... TAKES 3 DAYS HOPEFULLY WILL KNOW BY FRIDAY (oops caps) if it is it will be in the news like the other cases ....

no i didnt go to group today.

Zoomie
30-04-2009, 12:56 PM
Mentioned this to my cm friend earlier today, and she said there is something on the Bromley site too, though I haven't managed to find it yet :rolleyes: .

Definitely need to do a policy / procedure on it ....

Thanks Sarah :) , you are a star as always :D

huggableshelly
30-04-2009, 01:46 PM
Mentioned this to my cm friend earlier today, and she said there is something on the Bromley site too, though I haven't managed to find it yet :rolleyes: .

Definitely need to do a policy / procedure on it ....

Thanks Sarah :) , you are a star as always :D

at the bottom of the left hand side menu it states flu advice ... the same links as Sarah has posted for us.

rickysmiths
30-04-2009, 03:06 PM
Thanks Sarah and Mouse for all the links. I have created a new folder this afternoon!!!!:laughing:

Blaze
30-04-2009, 03:29 PM
I posted several links on a thread in the early hours last night.:thumbsup:

Blaze
30-04-2009, 03:35 PM
Here you go:

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publichealth/Flu/PandemicFlu/index.htm

&

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/emergencies/planning/flupandemic/

It was in a thread by Spangles in the lounge!:)

RedDragon
30-04-2009, 03:44 PM
http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_098685

miffy
30-04-2009, 03:48 PM
Thanks Sarah and everyone else for the links :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

fionamal
30-04-2009, 04:30 PM
We have a man who works in our local postoffice who has just come back today from Mexico with his family. Hes being kept a beady eye on by the Post Office/ Council and the GP's for any signs of flu from himself or any member of his family.

Hes not showing any signs of flu but its early days yet.

Its alot closer to home than i would like but hopefully it wont come to anything but who knows

TheBTeam
30-04-2009, 05:12 PM
0800 1513513 this is the swine flu helpline number set up today by the government to give advise on all matters relating to it!

Nix
30-04-2009, 07:16 PM
Thanks to everyone for the information on this...I don't see a newspaper or watch the news so I only get to hear about stuff on hear or from my bf. Seems it's a bit more than the usual flu as a 'Phase 5'.

Already have a policy but I will ensure it is up to date...

Thanks again
Nix,x

watgem
02-05-2009, 07:58 AM
k you for sharing everyone will be doing more paperwork this weekend lol!:)

MrsT333
02-05-2009, 08:15 AM
thanks for the advice.....will make a new policy regarding this.....great more paperwork

Deb
07-05-2009, 08:08 PM
thank you I have done one, if anyone wants to see if for reference or whatever.

Pudding Girl
11-06-2009, 07:30 AM
Just bumping this post up as it's likely that today the WHO will upgrade this to PANDEMIC status.

I'll be issuing families with guidance notes as soon as this happens.

Deb, I'd love to have a look at yours please? rainbowselgin@aol.com

Here's my parents guidance if anyone wants to pinch and adapt feel free :)

angeldelight
11-06-2009, 08:16 AM
Good idea to bump it up George thank you

Angel xx

Minstrel
11-06-2009, 04:57 PM
Bumping for others :)

My GP has swine flu :eek:

Pudding Girl
11-06-2009, 06:04 PM
:eek: :eek:

mrs c
11-06-2009, 09:09 PM
:eek: OMG :eek:

rickysmiths
11-06-2009, 10:13 PM
Oh my goodness. Just goes to show they are human as well. Hope he is better soon.

Debster
15-06-2009, 11:45 AM
thank you I have done one, if anyone wants to see if for reference or whatever.

I would be gratefull if I could see your policy for ideas please
Deb:D :blush:

mumof4
15-06-2009, 08:54 PM
Thankyou George, that is very helpfull:)

nannymcflea
03-07-2009, 11:14 AM
Thank you George. Bumping....

sonia ann
03-07-2009, 11:15 AM
was looking for this thread to bump it up in view of recent news:)

angeldelight
03-07-2009, 11:19 AM
was looking for this thread to bump it up in view of recent news:)

Yes I put in on Sallys thread :laughing:

Angel xx

patevans
12-07-2009, 07:38 AM
My GP has swine flu :eek:

So does mine :eek:

FizzysFriends
12-07-2009, 07:43 AM
There are people walking round with masks on around here :panic:

patevans
12-07-2009, 07:47 AM
There are people walking round with masks on around here :panic:

OH MY GOODNESS :eek:

FizzysFriends
12-07-2009, 07:52 AM
I don't think they were from here, may be they were worried about taking it back to their country.

liza
13-07-2009, 08:47 PM
Thank you everyone, have printed offf some things, and emailed some stuff to my parents too.

Thanks

Liz