PDA

View Full Version : Disrespectful

hollybritten
29-04-2009, 09:49 PM
This may sound really old and naggy, but tbh all these swine flu jokes arn't very funny seeing as over 160 people have died from it and now its in England, apparently it is very painful and horrible when you have and as we know its life threatening.
If im being boring just tell me to shut up!
x

Spangles
29-04-2009, 09:55 PM
No, I totally agree with you. Personally I don't find them funny but obviously lots of other people do.

If someone I knew had been affected by this I would be incredibly hurt that people are circulating jokes on this but I guess jokes always are at someone's expense.

Blaze
29-04-2009, 11:24 PM
I agree...however, I also realize that if we didn't laugh at the horrible things we have to face in life we would all be miserable all of the time & I try to view jokes of this nature in that way (ie if you don't find a way to laugh, you will cry) IYSWIM!:)

angeldelight
30-04-2009, 06:16 AM
I never understand people anyway

It is like if someone famous dies and everyone starts sending out joke text messages or emails

They seem to forget these people have families and friends

It is very wrong but its always going to happen - best to just ignore them

Angel xx

sue m
30-04-2009, 07:02 AM
I never understand people anyway

It is like if someone famous dies and everyone starts sending out joke text messages or emails

They seem to forget these people have families and friends

It is very wrong but its always going to happen - best to just ignore them

Angel xx

I agree Angel. As soon as Jade died I had jokes by text, I suppose lots of people did but I just deleted them without reading. I love a good joke, but I don't like getting ones about people who've died and I quite often get jokes about alzheimer's, even from friends who know Steve's very ill with it. I think it's a case of people don't think these things will ever affect them. I do sometimes get a bit mad when friends send me the alzheimer's jokes, don't they think it affects me.

ORKSIE
30-04-2009, 07:06 AM
It makes me mad wheneva there has been a tragedy, outbreak of whatever or a celebrity has died you get what are supposed to be called jokes, well I dont find it at all funny. So your not alone!

huggableshelly
30-04-2009, 07:20 AM
I like jokes as many others do ... the beauty of this forum is that you do not have to read threads if you prefer not too.

I know 2 people who are in isolation right now awaiting for confirmation on their illness so I have stopped reading, the text messages that I gain are deleted without being read .... but just like everything you cant stop people from posting but you do not have to read and join in.

Luckily for my I've not had any contact recently with the people I know but its scary. anyway school run to do .... if this offends anyone then basically tough .... people have the right to post what they want and people have the right to chose if they read or not.

wendywu
30-04-2009, 07:35 AM
Life is sad and it is a horrible world.

When looking into my dads cancer on the internet some peoples own sites relating their own illness had their own cancer jokes on them.

I also had an uncle who died in a japanese POW camp. So i did research into that and had read a lot of book on the subject. They contain lot jokes and humour. The POWs said that was the only way they could cope.

It is human nature to laugh in the face of disaster and sorrow. That is why you often have a funny story at a funeral. If you did not laugh you would cry. It is not disrespect.

I try to find something to smile about in most things in life and remain positive. I thought they were funny x

RedDragon
30-04-2009, 10:02 AM
This may sound really old and naggy, but tbh all these swine flu jokes arn't very funny seeing as over 160 people have died from it and now its in England
x

The first confirmed case was in Scotland.

Now I'm sounding old and naggy. Sorry, I shout at the tv when someone says England when they mean the UK. :p

Hebs
30-04-2009, 10:05 AM
i find it disrespectful too

but unfortunatly it seems to be how people cope with bad news.

i remember watching something about the Titanic, and there was outrage at the time cos of one of the jokes, so it isn't a "recent thing" it's been going on for hundreds of years :(

Mollymop
30-04-2009, 10:31 AM
I haven't heard any jokes about swine flu, but I can imagine. I don't like sick jokes at all.

LOOPYLISA
30-04-2009, 10:39 AM
Have heard quite a few about the swine flu ones :angry:

Pipsqueak
30-04-2009, 12:29 PM
There will always be jokes about everything - and they will not be to everyones taste, liking or sense of humour all the time.

Its the same as the "black" humour the emergency service crews have to help get them through some really rough patches. A lad I have known for many many years is paralysed from the neck down (happened in a car crash whilst we still at school) and blimey some of his jokes about paralysed people are quite shocking - so is it different because he is paralysed and he is the one making the jokes - would it be more disrespectful if I was to be making them? Just wondering to be honest.

Of course there are some people out there who will mean these jokes in a malicious manner but for the majority of people they laugh and go along with these jokes to relieve their own fear (especially the unknown) and there is no malice intended and they certainly don't mean to upset or offend people. So whilst it may be disrespectful perhaps it is something that has gone on since time began and not meant to be demeaning to anyone.

As has been said, there is often a warning within the joke title and it is up to you whether you read the thread or not. I see that Pauline has removed the threads which I understand and respect. I actually do not have an opinion either way. I choose not to read the Swine Flu ones because that isn't really my sense of humour.

jibberjitz
30-04-2009, 12:30 PM
People seem to like making jokes out of anything tragic :(

wendywu
30-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Paulines joke was not sick or nasty just a very clever play on words.:)

Laughter and tears are very close emotions. ;)

Demonjill
30-04-2009, 01:42 PM
The first confirmed case was in Scotland.

Now I'm sounding old and naggy. Sorry, I shout at the tv when someone says England when they mean the UK. :p

lol not just me then!!!:thumbsup: