PDA

View Full Version : Wording notice?

helenlc
29-04-2009, 09:00 PM
I am giving notice this week to a 3 yr old mindee whose behaviour has got worse and worse and is affecting me and my own 2 children.

Please can you give me some advice on how to word it? Shall I be honest about the behaviour affecting myself and my children or just say its because of something else?

Mum is lovely but I cannot continue with this child.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

TheBTeam
29-04-2009, 09:04 PM
If the mum isn't aware of your issues with the childs behaviour i think i would use the easy option and put for family reasons it has become necessary for you to give the required notice on the contract.

If she is aware then maybe you can put that you feel you can not give the child the care that is required to support his behaviour issues, with your own family commitments and therefore need to give notice.

It is not really necessary to give any reason in writing you could just put that you are giving notice and then speak with them and see how much you want to tell them of the real reason.

The Juggler
30-04-2009, 12:23 PM
If the mum isn't aware of your issues with the childs behaviour i think i would use the easy option and put for family reasons it has become necessary for you to give the required notice on the contract.

If she is aware then maybe you can put that you feel you can not give the child the care that is required to support his behaviour issues, with your own family commitments and therefore need to give notice.

It is not really necessary to give any reason in writing you could just put that you are giving notice and then speak with them and see how much you want to tell them of the real reason.

Also you could explain that although you would like to continue to support him, it is affecting the care of the other children or focus more on the child and say his behaviour might mean he may not be feeling entirely happy here at the moment or he might need a different type of setting one-to-one or group care?

Good luck

Buzz Lightyear
30-04-2009, 12:29 PM
You may have already done this but can you not speak to Mum and tell her about the problems? Maybe her child is just being this way to see where she can push her limits to? Once Mum knows and has a word, she might be different????

helenlc
30-04-2009, 03:13 PM
I have spoken with Mum already about his behaviour and she is aware of it. Unfortunately, I dont think he listens to a word Mum says. She has said before that she could never stay at home with him!! I think thats why she goes to work to get away from him!!

I have tried for the last 6 months and been consistent but its just getting worse. I didnt want to make Mum feel bad about her child but I would rather be honest than lie to her, but I also want to be a little gentle about it too!

Andrea08
30-04-2009, 03:34 PM
hi, as you write your letter of notice may i suggest you put yourself in the shoes of the parent and how you would feel reading such a letter, try and word it so not to sound like her lo is a bad child!!

difficult i know but talk to mum and tell her you will be giving notice i witing because you feel the child would do better in a 1-2-1 setting eg a cm with experiance and poss more free time to spend with him,

good luck x

nannymcflea
30-04-2009, 03:51 PM
I agree with other postings, you have to either say it's for personal reasons or tread carefully and word it so as not to offend but being honest.

It's a tricky one but I think by reading the other post that you have made the right decision for your business and your family.

Good luck.

helenlc
30-04-2009, 05:35 PM
Thank you ladies.

I dont want to make her feel like she has an impossible child, although she is more than aware of his behaviour.

I might just say that my own children are finding me childminding hard at the moment and so I am going to slow down for a little while. Wish her well etc etc.

Anyone want to write it for me?? Lol

helenlc
30-04-2009, 07:50 PM
How does this sound?

Dear M

It is with regret that I am giving 4 weeks notice to terminate the contract to look after L.

Due to a change in family circumstances, I am no longer able to offer full time care.

The last day of care I will therefore work will be the Friday 29th May 2009.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

If she asks me to elaborate, I dont mind and will say that now hubby is back in work, he is not at home to be with our children while i drop off and pick up. Also, with him not being about, I have to run our children to clubs appts etc so cannot offer full time care anymore.

Does this sound ok?

wendywu
30-04-2009, 07:58 PM
That sounds fine to me.:)

Minders often do have to cut down on hours due to their own families needs so it is quite plausible.:thumbsup:

helenlc
30-04-2009, 09:31 PM
Well hubby wants me to do a few extra weeks to get some money together - its fair enough as he has only just gone back to work after 6 months out of work.

I do feel guilty about giving up a full timer so will do another 3 weeks and then give notice - this works out to be the end of June which means my children will not have to put up with mindee in summer holidays.

It means that the end is a little further away :( but still not too far!!