PDA

View Full Version : Do you use upstairs for childminding? Or just down?

jw19nr
05-12-2007, 12:07 AM
Hello. I am hoping to register next year, as some of you know.

I was wondering whether any of you use upstairs for childminding? I would love to have a play room, and store all toys etc in there and not mind about the mess.

However we live in a 3 bed cottage. We do have a 2nd reception room, but the house is a funny layout. The 2nd recpetion room is in the middle of the house and leads to the kitchen, bathroom, stairs, living room etc so has a door in every corner and you have to walk through it to get anywhere.

Would like somewhere "out of the way" to store everything and let the kids have their own space. I was wondering if I could use the spare room upstairs? I would obviously still supervise, and would have a stairgate at the top of the stairs etc? Just thought it would mean that at the end of the day, I will still have my own space.

Does this sound really selfish? It would mean I could decorate it all kids colours with posters etc and have everything for the kids in there. Where as if I have it downstairs in my dining room, it will still need to stay quite hidden as it is so open etc. (eg. I wouldn't want to paint it bright colours etc)

Please tell me your opinions! Would ofstead even allow it? Would it put parents off?

Pauline
05-12-2007, 07:36 AM
I use upstairs and parents and Ofsted are fine about it.

I have one of the bedrooms as a playroom and it's great. We have art work on the walls, posters, toy shelving, book racks etc. it's like a mini nursery and at the end of the day we shut the door and forget about minding.

I do use downstairs too, lounge for quite activities such as storytime, tv, eating at the table.

Biggest problem is that if you worked alone it would be difficult to have some children upstairs and some down. I work with my hubby as my assistant so we can each be with children, one up/one down if necessary.

Plus you will need stair gates and a good evacuation plan in case of emergency.

It's not always ideal but better than nothing.

hope that helps

Shirlwith3
05-12-2007, 02:09 PM
Hi
I would think it would be ok, my bedroom amd toilet and bathroom are registered to use for minded children but only if I am with them my room is for little ones to sleep in as I have a small living room and if you put a travel cot up it take a lot of room plus is a quiet palce for them to sleep.
Wish I could have a room for the kids to play in so that I culd have my living room back.

nannan
05-12-2007, 03:43 PM
I used to have a play room upstairs and it was lovely, like has been said you will still need to monitor the children and have the relevant safety equipment in place when you are minding,

sarah707
05-12-2007, 04:39 PM
I only use downstairs - my children have to have somewhere of their own for their toys and to escape to when the little ones get on their nerves!

Banana
06-12-2007, 09:19 AM
I use upstairs but mostly for the children taking a nap.

Occasionally they will play some games in Isabelle's room but our playroom is downstairs so we dont have much need for playing upstairs.

x

angeldelight
06-12-2007, 10:12 AM
I only use downstairs

It is up to you though if you use both just let Ofsted know this

Angel xx

lindylou
06-12-2007, 01:18 PM
I use downstairs and upstairs ,my freind lives in a big house and chilminds solely from upstairs she has a massive playroom obviously all the safety aspects are adhered to and she has never had a problem with ofsted.
I think it would be better to childmind from upstairs if you dont have a downstairs loo however in the summer it could be a pain unless you all moved back downstairs then .
Lindax

jw19nr
09-12-2007, 10:02 PM
I use downstairs and upstairs ,my freind lives in a big house and chilminds solely from upstairs she has a massive playroom obviously all the safety aspects are adhered to and she has never had a problem with ofsted.
I think it would be better to childmind from upstairs if you dont have a downstairs loo however in the summer it could be a pain unless you all moved back downstairs then .
Lindax

I only have a downstairs bathroom!

I cant decide! Lol.

charleyfarley
09-12-2007, 10:51 PM
I only use downstairs although am thinking of overnight care after xmas.

I'm just in process of turning dining room into play room

Cos

Toys are overtaking the toy store room and moving into my living room so I'm swapping everything round

A long long process but it will be worth it

Carol xx

jw19nr
10-12-2007, 12:27 AM
If my dining room wasn't in the middle of my house, I would prefer to use this. However you have to walk through it to get to the kitchen or to upstair or the bathroom! So its a bit odd (I live in a cottage).

But I think I might just stick to turning the dining room into the playroom. We dont really use it much as we usually eat on our fold up table in the living room.

jw19nr
10-12-2007, 12:28 AM
I only use downstairs although am thinking of overnight care after xmas.

I'm just in process of turning dining room into play room

Cos

Toys are overtaking the toy store room and moving into my living room so I'm swapping everything round

A long long process but it will be worth it

Carol xx

Overnight care sounds good. What are the requirements for this? Can you earn much through it?

Rubybubbles
12-12-2007, 02:48 PM
I'm just jealous you all have lots of rooms:mad: haha

the whole house is reg but I use the lounge, and upstairs for sleep (and the loo), my own two tend to play upstairs after pre-school/school and it's taken me time to get the house 'child inviting' but also like a home (it's my biggest gripe, but hey I can be at home with my children and thats why I started!)