PDA

View Full Version : rhubarb

gegele
28-04-2009, 09:32 PM
i moved in our house last year and there is rhubarb in the garden. i love rhubarb but i know the leaf are poisonous and this one according to neighbour is really old.

does anyone know how long you can keep and eat rhubarb?

do i have to dig it up from my garden as it is a poisonous plant?

thanks for your help

huggableshelly
28-04-2009, 09:34 PM
errrmm no idea sorry!

christine e
28-04-2009, 09:40 PM
There are many things growing in gardens that are poisionous, many forum members are growing potatoes which have little green tomato things on the plants which are poisionous dafodil bulbs and geraniums are poisionous I think you should include this in your risk assessment and state how you will ensure that children don't eat it (by supervising). These things will give a bad tummy ache if eaten but have a nasty taste so children are unlikely to eat them.

Cx

gegele
28-04-2009, 09:50 PM
i put the trmpoline in front of it LOL
i grow potatoes too and i didn't know it was poisonous!!!:blush: :blush:

it's promising that gardening thing LOL i'm going tostart planting stuf tomorrow...can't wait for my blue berry!!!!:D

christine e
28-04-2009, 10:00 PM
i put the trmpoline in front of it LOL
i grow potatoes too and i didn't know it was poisonous!!!:blush: :blush:

it's promising that gardening thing LOL i'm going tostart planting stuf tomorrow...can't wait for my blue berry!!!!:D

http://www.thebotanicnursery.com/poison.htm

Cx

jibberjitz
29-04-2009, 10:31 AM
We grow vegatables etc abd have just added a bit to my risk assessment to cover it. I think its lovely that children can get involved in growing food - my two DD's love it!

Blackhorse
29-04-2009, 12:40 PM
lucky you.. I love rhubarb...you can keep rhubarb for ages but every few years you should in the wintertime when the plant is dormant dig it up and divide it and replant it...so you get more and more rhubarb.

pull the rhubarb stems up in a twisty motion when harvesting it.
leave at least 4 stems on each plant so that the plant won't die.

risk assess the plant and keep it. we can't possible get rid of everything that is not good for the los.
I personally think they can gain so much by helping in the garden and learning that it is not ok to eat plants etc without asking an adult first...

good luck with it