PDA

View Full Version : Childminding meeting last night!!

Peppa
28-04-2009, 06:06 PM
Hi went to a meeting with ......well someone who looks after childminders in our area..(don't even know her title):blush:

Well I have only met her at my pre reg briefing. Went to a meeting last night and others were like ' oh you will come out feeling really positive, shes really good like that'

I came out feeling :censored: !!!

She was talking about what had gone on with inspections in this area and how they were all different and had a massive list of all the things she checked.

RISK ASSESSMENTS!!! Well one inspector walked to school with a childminder, who lived in a village. This villiage had a bad bend which they had to cross near. Well when they got home the inspector asked to see the risk assessment and gave her rock all because she never wrote down the risk that the children could be run over by a car.:eek: Well its a bit obvious really that they could get run over. Have to be as detailed as possible about regular trips, ok.... need to know policys word for word.... some woman she visited on friday 'she said she wouldn't have a clue how to do an observation let alone next steps' (i keep messing upmy next steps at moment!) She kept going on about how all these minders had give up and about all these visits she had done.

I was like ok go home re do risk assessments in detail, learn policys word for word, which to be honest if ofsted came and asked me about any of them i would just babble alot of nonsense, I have done some next steps but seem to be confused really on the next steps bit! Then I asked her frankly if I could have one of these visits. YOu know some help please!!!!

To be honest I came away wantng to give up. I felt rubish at what I had done. I had had a pants day with mindee and my son yesturday anyhow and wondering when I was gonna fit everything else in was like a kick in the teeth. I know you all do it and do it well, but I seem to spend more time away from my kiddies and hubby than with them at the moment and it seems like it may have only jyst begun because i feel like i'm sinking!

I really want this to work but I just feel like Im not doing it right at all. Also I really want to do the CCDL in sept (think thats what it is) but if i can't manage now, how will i then?

Sorry about this and if it makes no sense but :angry: :yawning: :crying:

:D feeling better now!

Gizmo
28-04-2009, 06:13 PM
Hi didnt want to read and not leave a message.
Think you need big hugs:group hug:
Sure you will be fine some people can just be too picky

sarah707
28-04-2009, 06:27 PM
And breathe.....

Ok first things first... most inspectors are not like that! They are human and do not go looking for faults. Yes ok risk assessments are about obvious things ... shut the door so the child doesn't escape; hold hands when crossing the road; walk round the dog poo etc... just be as obvious as possible and once it's written you just need to check it regularly.

Second, I think your DO (or whoever) was giving you worst case scenarios on everything. Don't forget there are childminders out there with satisfactories who haven't done an observation yet, never mind worked out how to link it to next steps...

Third, if you need any help on next steps etc, give one of us who've been doing them for a while a shout.

Don't panic in silence! :D

huggableshelly
28-04-2009, 06:39 PM
everyone does things differently, dont take her advice as critisism and dont feel that you have to be 100% perfect either as that is impossible and Ofsted will always pick on something, it is their job to nitpick (rather them than me).

I've redone alot of my risk assessments as felt they were too basic, my walk to school one is appalling really but I just dated it as reviewed on * date, at present there are no changes due to using the car on school runs rather than walking.

Dont try and change everything in one go, it all takes time and you will find time to study too, not sure how but you just will .... I've managed to do 2 OU courses somehow.

big hugs to you xxx

jibberjitz
28-04-2009, 07:40 PM
Sounds like a lovely meeting that was biased by one persons own 'opinions' :(
Hope you feel a bit better for letting off some steam :thumbsup:

Twinkles
28-04-2009, 08:18 PM
You're right about one thing , some of us have been doing it for ages, thats the point. When you have been doing it a while some things become second nature. You will soon have everything in place and that will make the paperwork easier.
Give yourself a break , you will do fine , it just takes a bit of practise :thumbsup: