28-04-2009, 12:30 PM
Hi There

I need quite a large amount of safety film for my conservatory. Has anybody used someone they can recommend?

Many thanks


28-04-2009, 12:34 PM
Isn't the conservatory glass safety glass anyway? I know if glass is over a meter big it's automatically safety glass...all I can suggest you look on ebay for the safety film.

28-04-2009, 12:43 PM
I would have thought that safety glass is used in conservatory glass.
Have you looked for safety markings?

28-04-2009, 12:45 PM
I have a piece of really old glass (pre-safety glass) and got the film from ebay.

Heaven Scent
28-04-2009, 01:35 PM
Oh dear me you have got your self in a heap - how old is your conservatory? If it was built since the advent of safety glass I can't remember when it became compulsory to have safety glass in windows. I have 1 piece of furniture which had very old glass in it it was in my hall and I put safety film on it that I got from B&Q and it was rubbish - it just kept falling off and one day my little mindee hit it with the handle of a childs sweeping brush and it smashed and left huge jagged edges it was so lucky that he hit it with the brush handle and was that far away from the broken glass. To make matters worse it happened when I was out doing a pick up and I had left him with my then assistant and came back to it I have never replaced the glass and have moved it upstairs onto the landing - I would be very very careful what type of safety film you get mine was the type that you apply using water and I think the make was 'Safety 1st' but it was rubbish it just didn't hold the pieces together it jsut slid off when the child hit it. - I'm quite sure I would have been better with clear contact/sticky backed plastic on the glass at least it would have held the smashed pieces in place.

28-04-2009, 01:49 PM
Thanks for your replies.

I think the conservatory was built with the house, about 30 years ago and there are no markings on it at all, the pre-reg ofsted inspector told me I need to get safety film on it as it is lower than 3ft.

I have seen some reasonably priced 'fit it yourself' film on ebay but I think it too is the wash the window with water one... I am rubbish at things like that, if it actually stays up it will be a miracle, that's without the worry of having tons of bubbles!

28-04-2009, 02:34 PM
Could you ask your local glazing company??? My husband (Glazier)often gets calls from minders and fits safety film for them.

28-04-2009, 04:14 PM
i got my first roll from mothercare but it was really expensive! when i realised i needed a lot more i got it from a company on the internet, can't remeber what it was called but i know it began with C!
It was so much cheaper and came in a wider width. If you google safety film it will prob come up.

Heaven Scent
28-04-2009, 04:24 PM
Is it double glazed? - if so it should be pretty safe and hard to break - I'd get it checked out by a glazier and perhaps get it done professionally if it needs to be done it is your home afterall and you don't want a nasty dirty black line to form on the joint once its been there for a few years do you.

28-04-2009, 05:49 PM
I would recommend a proffessional, I know that's what I'll be doing if there is a next time. I used the Mothercare one which was expensive and almost caused my OH and I to split up! It caused huge rows, took ages to do, is difficult to get it smooth and even with no bubbles and looks really rubbish! And why do they put it tight on a roll? it never flattens out properly!