PDA

View Full Version : Variations - your experiences

MissTinkerbell
28-04-2009, 08:53 AM
I'm after some info - just wondering how easy/difficult you have found Ofsted to be over issuing variations when it doesn't involve a continuity of care?

The reason I ask is because I've had an enquiry for a full time place for an 18 month old starting from June 1st. At the moment I am full but my current full timer finishes with me on July 17th. I would need a variation to allow me to have 4 under 5s for 6/7 weeks. My other 2 mindees are over 8s so do not count towards my numbers. With my own children I would still only have 5 under 8s so well within my numbers.

Do Ofsted normally grant variations for these circumstances or only in cases where there is continuity of care?

The mum is coming to see me next week.

Thank you

michellethegooner
28-04-2009, 08:58 AM
sorry cant help but didnt want to read and run, I have only ever had 1 variation for 2 x under 1 and that was for continuity of care.

sure some1 will be along that can be of more help

Mouse
28-04-2009, 09:05 AM
I was always lead to believe that variations were only granted for continuity, but have read posts on here where variations have been granted for taking on new children.

Why not phone Ofsted & see what they say.

mum2two
28-04-2009, 09:10 AM
I was granted this last year. I had the space from Sept when one started school, and they needed care from July. In the end parents made arrangements til Sept, but asked if I could cover 2 weeks.

Ofsted granted the variation, and I still used continuity of care, saying parents wanted me from Sept, so it seemed silly for 2 weeks to put lo with another cm, just to move him again.

You can but try. They can only say no!

xx

Helen79
28-04-2009, 09:19 AM
I was granted a variation for a new mindee a few weeks ago. It was only a one off in the holidays though for the first week he was with me.
I used to be his keyworker at his nursery so knew him very well & had looked after him for 3 years already at the nursery.

Previously I asked for a variation for an older sibling of one of my mindees for 2 days in the xmas holidays. Ofsted couldn't understand why the mum couldn't just take the 2 days off work & in the end didn't actually come to an agreement whether I could have the variation or not :eek:

I think it often depends on who you speak to that day.

I would ask ofsted telling them that you'll either have to terminate your existing mindees or turn away the new mindees for a few weeks which won't be providing continuity of care if they have to go elsewhere or a few weeks before coming to you.

georgie456
28-04-2009, 12:42 PM
Hi
I've also recently been granted a variation which allows me 4 unders 5's for a new full time starter. I needed it for 2 full days a week, from April until Sept, when one goes on to full time school. At first they said no as it was a new child, but when I mentioned that I had completed 2 settling-in sessions, it was granted.
I did have to send a very long letter including risk assessments and a chart of when I would be over, but they seemed happy enough to allow it....at the end of some days though I wish they hadn't - I'm exhausted!!!!!

rickysmiths
28-04-2009, 02:19 PM
I had one last year for a new 16 week old. I needed a Variation for one day a week for 8 weeks and it would have meant having 4 under fives. I wasn't too concerned because I have had a variation for 4 under 5s two days a week for nearly two years.

They reused the variation!:eek: I was livid and so was the mum so I appealed.
Had various options but I chose to go to a Panel meeting and confront them in person over their decission (sp!) The meeting was held in a hotel near to me and at a time best for me and my parents. It was a bit scarry but my dh went with me. There were 3 people on the panel, the Chair from the Compliance Team in Nottingham and two area inspectors one of whom refused the original variation request.

The meeting lasted about an hour then dh and I had to retire to the cafe for a coffee while they made their decission-approx 15 mins though they do say they won't promise to make one on the day.
We went back in and they granted the variation and the inspector apologised for not granting it in the first place.!!!!!! All the wasted time and money!!!

The mother of the baby had known me for nearly a year and wanted to use me, she is self employed and just wanted to work one day a week and thought she could manage it if I (who she trusted) looked after the baby. Ofsted originally said she should use someone else. :eek:

They asked what the mum would do if they didn't grant the Variation. When I told them she would not return to work so they would be effecting the Economic Wellbeing of the family the pricked up their ears.!!

I have had many Variations over the years and this is the first time I have had a problem. I have never been refused one.

Andrea08
28-04-2009, 02:26 PM
I have a permanant variation so i can care for x2 babies under 12mths old

if you put a good report together explaining what and how you will care for each individual child and how you intend to get from A to B safely etc,,

ofsted know that if your a C**p cm then you probably wont ask for the variation,, also when they pop out to visit you have a your policies and any ammendments you may have ready to show that you have evaluated your setting and have made changes and improvements etc

good luck xx