PDA

View Full Version : Planning for v. little ones??

sophiestars
27-04-2009, 10:39 PM
I have two 13 mth olds and a 7 mth old (not all at once) plus my own 2 year old during the day and feel that I am mainly juggling them all and just meeting their welfare needs - i.e sleeps, food, nappy changing and just keeping them generally HAPPY. There is alot of free play at the moment as they are all new and I don't want to force anything on them that they don't like. The 13 mth olds both go hysterical when I have to wipe their face after lunch let alone clean them up after finger painting!!

I had all these grand ideas when I started of having a monthly theme etc but find with their young ages activities (especially craft) are limited. I know there are some great websites for activities but find they are mainly aimed at slightly older children who can do a bit more eg 2-3 upwards.
I want to do a bit more art/craft stuff that they can take home so the parents have some evidence of what they have been doing but I'm not good at thinking of ideas!

I thought I might do an animal theme because they both like looking at books with animals in but don't really know where to start. As for the 7 month old.....he is lovely but very demanding and cetainly knows what he likes and doesn't like. Do i need to have a plan for him too? He is only here one day a week. Don't know what 'planned activities' I could do with him., he just likes being carried around alot!!

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ELP!!!!!!!!!!

youarewhatyoueat
27-04-2009, 10:54 PM
You've got the same ages as me and to be honest they dictate what I do. I did my baseline observations and the one boy really likes cars so I did an observation about cars and this has led me to plan around this theme, I've done singing-wheels on the bus, and introduced a ride on car etc. The other child loves animals so we sing old macdonald, and play with tractors etc. that way they can play together but I've done individual planning. Hope that makes sense.
But they plan the day for me depending on when they are tired, I did a bit of mark making after lunch when they were still in the highchairs I gave them paper and a crayon and put it in their learning jouney folder.I spent about 5 minutes on that planned activity and then another hour of free play.
In the morning i'm taking them to toddler group so it will be play, sleep,lunch,play, sleep tommorrow. oh and throw a couple of school runs in.

I take quite a few photos to show what we've been doing, both mums seem happy with this.Both the 13 months old love going out for walks which we try to do every day.I try to keep it simple, short term planning works best for me, I have a continuous provision folder with ideas I can grab if the moment takes us. But free play with a choice of activities is what they should be doing at this age.

sophiestars
27-04-2009, 11:04 PM
Thank you it sounds like we are doing the same things. I did let them loose with crayons and paper this morning and had a little singing session with them in the afternoon with musical instruments, a nursery rhyme cd and me singing lol!! They seemed to enjoy that. I do take loads of pics which I put on a board in the hall for parents to see ( also one of the 13mth olds loved looking at it when I put it at ground level today!!).

Maybe i should stop stressing about EYFS, planning structured activities, etc and just enjoy playing with them!! I have done observations on the one who has been with me for a while (the other one only started today), so they will all have learning journeys, i just guess I will have to wait a while before they can do more involved crafty things.

I also go out somewhere everyday - usually toddler groups etc or the park so lots of opportunities for obs. All the parents are happy with what I do, I just wanted them to have more things to take home....

cher25
27-04-2009, 11:14 PM
If you have a read through some of the other threads you will see that planning for under 3's doesn't have to be so structured. There is nothing wrong in planning for them, but dont do a lot as the lo's will do the deciding for you. Just do the obs on them when they do something new etc, and well just continue as you are doing, without stressing over the planning. :) (Say's she who is way behind on writing out obs and sorting photo's etc. lol)

Roseolivia
28-04-2009, 08:12 AM
You could visit the farm, have plastic animals, draw animal pictures and let them paint

MissTinkerbell
28-04-2009, 09:39 AM
Went on a great course last night called Heuristc Play - organinsing play for under 3s using everyday objects. It took the treasure basket idea a bit further and generally said get loads of everyday household objects (from wooden spoons, cardboard boxes, tubs, tins, chains, bangles, wooden mug trees, kitchen roll holders, curtain rings, etc) and put them out and let the children explore. As an adult you don't join in the play but be a source of support. At tidy up time loads of opportunity for language in saying 'can you fetch the wooden spoon? 'etc.

I was so impressed that I've told my own that I'm putting all their toys on eBay and we're going to do this :eek: - they weren't too impressed - apart from my little 3 year old lad who thought it was great provided he could keep his cars:) :) :) :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Flowerpot
28-04-2009, 11:18 AM
I look after 3 little ones (15m/16m/17m) and was having the same difficulty a couple of months back. My saviour has been my local children's centres - they do loads of crafty things on different tables so the children can come and have quick go, and then wander off to something different. If I were to try this in my own home I would be a) exhausted and b) have a very filthy house!!
I've already got my play-doh recipe at the ready for the day they can actually sit for a while and concentrate on one thing - I can't wait!!! :laughing: