PDA

View Full Version : Ramblings!

nokidshere
27-04-2009, 10:05 PM
Contrary to what some people might think, I do not come onto this site just to aggrivate people and spout about things that i have not researched.

I fully understand that people feel at the mercy of ofsted when it comes to inspection and the "laws" that they lay down. I do myself - for all my bravado I completed all the paperwork Ofsted asked for because I wasn't prepared to get marked down for my principles.

But its up to us to question all these inconsistancies that we are told from different arms of the same organisation. I can ring ofsted twice in the same day and ask the same question and get told a different answer each time.

Today I questioned my inspector. I told her quite clearly what I was unhappy about and she "tried" to answer my questions. But the fact is that she didn't have the answers - which is wrong. She wasn't totally happy about it but I firmly believe that these people have to be accountable to us. They cannot and should not be able to have different standards as individuals. How can they monitor us and grade us if they do not all work to the same page?

If the standards that are set are for all childminders then there should be specific criteria that applies to us all - and we all know (from my short time on here and other childminder friends) that that is not the case.

Today I showed my inspector a full risk assessment (a proper one not a hazard tick list - although I had those too ;)) of my home done by my H&S husband. She asked me for a copy of it so she could use it to measure other peoples by because "she had not seen one before". That is truly outrageous when they are demanding that we all do them and measuring our performance by them.

It seems that the EYFS has overtaken everything. She did not check my home, she didn't look at or ask about equipement and toys, she didn't check any first aid boxes, fire blankets etc and nor did she even ask about them. She spent 4 hours going through my paperwork and that apparantly makes me a good childminder. I could have written the whole lot last week after she phoned to say she was coming for all she knew.

I know that we don't want to "rock the boat", for many of us this is how we earn a living. But it's WRONG! and if we don't question it and make them accountable who is going to?

And thats all :D from now on I am going to be a meek and mild member of the forum and try not to upset anyone else ;)

Spangles
27-04-2009, 10:10 PM
Oh gosh! Sorry but I'm truly not sure what you are getting at but didn't want to read and ignore you!

I understand what you are saying about Ofsted etc though.

nokidshere
27-04-2009, 10:13 PM
LOL

Sorry - I wasn't really "getting at" anything - just ranting at Ofsted - again!!!

Spangles
27-04-2009, 10:16 PM
I think we are all capable of moaning about Ofsted 'til the cows come home but from my experience they are no more useless than any other company or organisation I have had dealings with.

I don't know what's wrong with people these days but you just can't trust that they will do their jobs properly or give you the correct answers to your questions - I'm sure it didn't use to be like that in the good old days! Ha!

Pipsqueak
27-04-2009, 10:18 PM
Sorry I think I must have missed something

I agree with you about Ofsted inconsistencies and about challenging them - I guess its about trying to staying one step ahead of them. Well done you for challenging your inspector.

Its shocking that she had not seen a RA but to use it to guage others RA's by it (especially when it has been done by your health and safety hubby) is wrong as well IMO. Others won't be as lucky to have a H&S man about and I am pretty sure even my RA's may fall short of his - but that does not mean I should be marked down because of my basic knowledge and terminology. I think that has all just come out very wrong (I am very tired tonight :blush: ).

I have been told that us childminders are streets ahead of many inspectors in understanding and being able to implement EYFS. They apparently have not had the training in it that they should have done.

PixiePetal
27-04-2009, 10:18 PM
I think most of us would like to have a rant at Ofsted every now and then :laughing:

Especially about inconsistent inspections :angry:

nokidshere
27-04-2009, 10:24 PM
"Its shocking that she had not seen a RA but to use it to guage others RA's by it (especially when it has been done by your health and safety hubby) is wrong as well IMO. Others won't be as lucky to have a H&S man about and I am pretty sure even my RA's may fall short of his - but that does not mean I should be marked down because of my basic knowledge and terminology. I think that has all just come out very wrong (I am very tired tonight )."

No, that came out perfectly clearly :D and I agree 100%

youarewhatyoueat
27-04-2009, 10:26 PM
Have I missed something???

Never mind ofsted you want to have my nvq3 assessor who is new to the job, is trained in the old standards and wanted to have copies of all my observations today to show other people because she hadn't seen any before!!!!

nokidshere
27-04-2009, 10:31 PM
Have I missed something???

Never mind ofsted you want to have my nvq3 assessor who is new to the job, is trained in the old standards and wanted to have copies of all my observations today to show other people because she hadn't seen any before!!!!

I find that truly shocking - in fact, I find it more shocking than last weeks smoking nursery staff thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chatterbox Childcare
27-04-2009, 10:35 PM
Contrary to what some people might think, I do not come onto this site just to aggrivate people and spout about things that i have not researched.

I fully understand that people feel at the mercy of ofsted when it comes to inspection and the "laws" that they lay down. I do myself - for all my bravado I completed all the paperwork Ofsted asked for because I wasn't prepared to get marked down for my principles.

But its up to us to question all these inconsistancies that we are told from different arms of the same organisation. I can ring ofsted twice in the same day and ask the same question and get told a different answer each time.

Today I questioned my inspector. I told her quite clearly what I was unhappy about and she "tried" to answer my questions. But the fact is that she didn't have the answers - which is wrong. She wasn't totally happy about it but I firmly believe that these people have to be accountable to us. They cannot and should not be able to have different standards as individuals. How can they monitor us and grade us if they do not all work to the same page?

If the standards that are set are for all childminders then there should be specific criteria that applies to us all - and we all know (from my short time on here and other childminder friends) that that is not the case.

Today I showed my inspector a full risk assessment (a proper one not a hazard tick list - although I had those too ;)) of my home done by my H&S husband. She asked me for a copy of it so she could use it to measure other peoples by because "she had not seen one before". That is truly outrageous when they are demanding that we all do them and measuring our performance by them.

It seems that the EYFS has overtaken everything. She did not check my home, she didn't look at or ask about equipement and toys, she didn't check any first aid boxes, fire blankets etc and nor did she even ask about them. She spent 4 hours going through my paperwork and that apparantly makes me a good childminder. I could have written the whole lot last week after she phoned to say she was coming for all she knew.

I know that we don't want to "rock the boat", for many of us this is how we earn a living. But it's WRONG! and if we don't question it and make them accountable who is going to?

And thats all :D from now on I am going to be a meek and mild member of the forum and try not to upset anyone else ;)

Please don't think that I am trying to get I you. It took me a long time to try and phrase what I wrote so I didn't.

The point I was trying to get across is that I believe to quote an Ofsted understanding I need evidence and I do that by email. I agree that I could get two different answers if I rang but what proof is that at an inspector - just hearsay.

I agree we need to challenge Ofsted and that was why I asked for the inspectors name so that I could get it from the horses mouth to challenge my regional office.

I am not judging you but I hope you understand that there are a lot of new people, either newly or currently undergoing registration, and we have to give the best possible advice if we give it, backed up by written confirmation from Ofsted.

I take it this is your first inspection. Ofsted previously did what you commented on "first aid box, safety of the house" but it is down to us as self employed professional childcarers to safeguard the children. We prove this to Ofsted by our policies, RA etc and that is what they check under the EYFS, otherwise they would be with us for days rather than hours. After all who is the guilty party if we state in our policies one thing and practice another?

There is a document within the Ofsted website that states what an inspector is looking for and I hope that they are all following it country wide but it is all the regions interpretation, as with our own differences depending on how we interprete something.

As previously stated, well done on your grade.

nokidshere
28-04-2009, 06:46 AM
Thanks Debbie - I didn't think you were getting at me, just misunderstanding my intentions :D

This is not my first inspection, I have been a registered childminder for 10 years and a childcare professional caring for under 8's for 30 years! I am at the end of my career now, I probably will stop minding before my next inspection is due :)

But I have never before seen Ofsted in such a shambles, or so ambiguous in the delivery of their service.

Chatterbox Childcare
28-04-2009, 07:25 AM
I must be very lucky where I live. The EYFS was delivered to every child care settiing in the same format, nurseries, creches and childminders.

Ofsted stopped all inspections for 3 months and were trained on the EYFS and whilst they are not all perfect they are certainly consistent with the overview.

If we ask for a variation it is usually decided upon within a week. Last one I emailed in took 6 days from application to having the certificate in my hand.

I personally do have an excellent rapor with both Ofsed and my Early Years team.

Again, maybe I am just lucky but I do like to get it right as I support many childminders.