PDA

View Full Version : school assemblies and parties???????

sophiestars
27-04-2009, 08:54 PM
Hi I just wanted to know what you all do in these situations:

On Wednesdays I have a 13 mth old who just started today and a 7 month old who is having his 2nd settling in visit tomorrow and starts properly next wednesday. I have a couple of events coming up and wondered if I should take them along with me and wondering if you have taken your mindees to similar places.

Actually they are on the same day - 20th May. In the morning my reception class son has an assembly that parents will be invited to and in the afternoon (12.30-2.30) my 2 year old has been invited to a little birthday tea party at my friends house for her little girl who will be 2. She said it's fine to bring the extra lo's and I know the assembly will have a few younger siblings.

Just want to know if it's a no-no to take mindees to these sort of things. Haven't asked the parents yet but they are both lovely and sure they wouldn't mind.

What would you do?

loocyloo
27-04-2009, 09:01 PM
i always check with school if it is ok to bring the LOs along.

also with parties, usually, anyone who has invited any child of mine, knows what i do, and is always happy to have all the extra children!

i usually just tell the parents what we are doing/have done!

( having made sure it was/is a safe environment etc !!! )

its all part of being part of the community, and discovering the wider world!

the only time i wouldn't take minded children along, is if it is going to be a long boring event, in which case, i say i can't go either and 'blame' it on the mindees !!! ;)

Princess Sara
27-04-2009, 09:05 PM
I'd take them. Check with the school about the assemberly, our school sometimes asks for young LO's not to attend such as reception years first assenberly didn't want any distractions because of their tiny voices for the first time. And with the party, if the hosts say it's fine and you feel it is a safe and secure environment, just enjoy it.

It's all part of the home-from-home environment Childminders are suppost to be providing. And the extra child interaction will be great.

madasahatter
27-04-2009, 09:17 PM
I always checked with the school. At one point our school ran a creche for under 3's in a room next door to the hall where assemblies were held. For the odd special occasion (where the school didn't really want very young children there) I got written permission from parents of the mindees to use the creche, however usually I have just taken the children along and they have always behaved very well. At my son's final assembly at primary school one of my mindees (3 at the time) waved at him as he filed into the hall. It was deadly quiet and she started clapping...then everyone joined in...very funny no one knew why they were clapping and they were all looking around with bemused expressions on their faces.
I managed to attend every one of DS's special assemblies and I've always said to parents that if a mindee has an assembly and no-one from their family is able to go, I will do my best to attend in their stead so that the child has someone special watching them.

Cazz
27-04-2009, 09:34 PM
I don't see the problem with taking them if it's okay with the people running the events. As someone said it's being a part of the community.

I think it's one of the many advantages to this job that you are able to support your own children, if you were employed elsewhere you may not be able to take the time off.

I think that I would mention to the parents of the mindees where I was planning to go and obtain their permission to take the child or give them the option of making other arrangements for their child 's care during this time. I don't know if that's the "correct" thing to do as I haven't started minding yet but it's the way I am thinking of approaching these situations.

Carole x

sweets
27-04-2009, 09:46 PM
definately take them, its what a mum would do. just make you have plenty of goodies in your bag to keep them quiet and occupied! i always take raisins but make sure you take extra as usually every young child on your row will spot them. lol. Take a couple of books or a quiet toy too.Or even better try and get them asleep just before you go in.:laughing:

wendywu
27-04-2009, 10:06 PM
I take my mindees all over the place with me. They are part of my family and as long as children are allowed then they come.:)

nokidshere
27-04-2009, 10:16 PM
I only look after one little girl in the daytime but i generally take her everywhere with me as long as its suitable. I do though, like someone else said, use her as an excuse not to attend things sometimes if I dont want to go :laughing: :laughing:

I dont take her to assemblies at my sons school though unless we can sneak in at the back, because her mum is a teacher there and J gets upset when we are in the same room but she can't get to her.

sophiestars
27-04-2009, 10:26 PM
Thanks for all your replies I thought you would all say the assembly would be a no-no but that's great if you all do it. I think I will hover at the back where there is a curtain I can slip through if necessary and take a supply of food and entertainment! Hopefully they may even sleep. I would hate to miss it as it is the first assembly parents have been invited to and my ds would be sad if I wasn't there.

The party will be fine - my friend has 3 children so her house is child friendly and she is doing it during school hours so her little one and her little friends can party in peace without all the BIG brothers/sisters/cousins taking over. Should be cute.

Chatterbox Childcare
27-04-2009, 10:45 PM
I take mine plus a small bag of savouries to occupy them. I sit at the back!

rickysmiths
28-04-2009, 12:01 AM
I used to take mine to my children's schoolstuff, even sports day. Just be prepared to leave if one of them does ceate. Also as oters have said check with the school.

I have always tried to support my mindees if they are in stuff at school as well. Unfortunately the Primary I go back and forth to now won't allow los in :(
I do miss seeing all the productions etc.