PDA

View Full Version : first aid - online shopping?

Blackhorse
27-04-2009, 08:34 PM
I went to the pharmacy with my list of things for the first aid kit.
(we got a list in the induction training so I thought I will go and buy the stuff individually and make up my own box)
turned out though that the pharmacist didn't have a clue about half the things on the list...and I am not an expert either and my first aid course doesn't start till june...

does anyone know of a good page on the internet where I can order first aid supplies?

Cammie Doodle
27-04-2009, 08:46 PM
Lists vary from course to course, our latest Tutor has given us the advise that ALL we need is enough to cover minor injuries !! :rolleyes: Its a bit like how long is a peice of string ? Ofsted says all we are required to do is FIRST AID and how much equipment does that need? Not a lot

Blackhorse
27-04-2009, 08:50 PM
my list is quite good. just the basics...just not sure where to get them...
at the pharmacy they were no help...
instead of sterile adhesive dressings she just wanted to give me some plasters... which we were told not to use ...

TheBTeam
27-04-2009, 08:52 PM
Our course told us we could use plasters, because they are self adhesive dressings!

Pauline
27-04-2009, 08:57 PM
Our course told us we could use plasters, because they are self adhesive dressings!

you are allowed hypo-allergenic plasters, with parents written permission to use them. :)

Blackhorse
27-04-2009, 08:58 PM
what is the difference between an adhesive dressing and a plaster?
at our training we were told to never use plasters even if with permission as the child could be fine with plasters one day but then have a reaction the next...we all disagreed with this, but this is what we were told anyways

Pauline
27-04-2009, 08:59 PM
I went to the pharmacy with my list of things for the first aid kit.
(we got a list in the induction training so I thought I will go and buy the stuff individually and make up my own box)
turned out though that the pharmacist didn't have a clue about half the things on the list...and I am not an expert either and my first aid course doesn't start till june...

does anyone know of a good page on the internet where I can order first aid supplies?

All you really need is a selection of different sized bandages, different size sterile dressings, triangular bandage and stuff like that, nothing over the top. You should be able to get it all from the chemist.

Like June says lists vary from course to course, so it might be best to wait and hear what they say, plus they often sell kits cheapish on the day. :)

Blackhorse
27-04-2009, 09:03 PM
All you really need is a selection of different sized bandages, different size sterile dressings, triangular bandage and stuff like that, nothing over the top. You should be able to get it all from the chemist.

Like June says lists vary from course to course, so it might be best to wait and hear what they say, plus they often sell kits cheapish on the day. :)

Can you get registered without having a first aid kit? I know you have 6 months to do the first aid kit, but I thought the inspector would want to make sure you have a basic first aid kit....My list is from the induction training so I thought it would be ok...has just the basic stuff you described above in it!

loocyloo
27-04-2009, 09:07 PM
i have done a couple of first aid courses with this company and they are excellent.

i have also bought my first aid supplies from them! seem like good value, and they do a kit suitable for childminders! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

http://www.bjrtraining.co.uk/

go to first aid supplies on the left, and it takes you to their shop! i've had a look and i can't remember what i got the first time!:rolleyes: but i think it was a refill kit! last time i just got bits and pieces to make it up again! if you email them with a query, they are really good at helping you out!

have fun shopping!

xxx

tulip0803
27-04-2009, 09:12 PM
I used these http://www.firstaidwarehouse.co.uk/

and found them good

sophiestars
27-04-2009, 09:48 PM
I got a ready made kit for a very reasonable price on ebay it had everything on the list I was given and is NCMA approved. Simple!

nokidshere
27-04-2009, 10:12 PM
Halfords do a complete first aid kit with everything needed and suitable for childminders. I always find it cheaper to replace the whole box rather than replenish it. I replace my main kit and use whats left in the old one to fill my smaller boxes.

Chatterbox Childcare
27-04-2009, 10:49 PM
Boots are very good and you can order online

Pauline
28-04-2009, 06:25 AM
Can you get registered without having a first aid kit? I know you have 6 months to do the first aid kit, but I thought the inspector would want to make sure you have a basic first aid kit....My list is from the induction training so I thought it would be ok...has just the basic stuff you described above in it!

They will register you without having all things in place, provided you explain your plans and are able to say that you know what you need but just haven't bought it yet.

It would be hard otherwise, say you had gone out and bought loads of stuff, such as stair gates and the like and then they said no!

Adiamond
28-04-2009, 06:33 AM
Hi,I bought my 1st aid kit from Tesco(£7.87) it has everything in it that we were advised we might need from our trainer.
When I had mye pre-reg visit my inspector asked me if I had a 1st aid kit and when I got it out to show her she said "I don't need to see it,but you have to be sure that I am confident it has got everything in it that I might need)
Also Tesco do a car/travel one for £4 something.
hth :) x x x

Roseolivia
28-04-2009, 08:10 AM
St Johns Ambulance and they have first aid kits to sell.

louise
28-04-2009, 12:10 PM
who did you speak to? Was it a training assistant? Its just a guess as it took me ages to remember all the bits. Speak to a Pharmacist or someone else. Where i worked we would only keep some of it but could order in. Never by melolin from the shelf you should be able to buy it indvidualy from the dispensory for a lot cheaper.
In the end i got a box which has sat there for 3 yrs!