PDA

View Full Version : Overnight Care requirements

CherryBlossom
27-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Hi,

I hopefully will be moving to a new house soon, and will be having a spare bedroom. I would like to register for over night care, just so theres something extra. I just wondered if there was any other requirement's over than having a bedroom for the child?

Thanks

FizzysFriends
27-04-2009, 04:37 PM
You have to have a smoke alarm on the landing (possibly mains wired).

CherryBlossom
27-04-2009, 04:38 PM

Hi, thanks for your reply.
Is that it? Do they generally let anybody do overnight care or are they strict about it?

xBlossom

Daftbat
27-04-2009, 05:34 PM

Sorry to but in - you have to have one in the actual room you use to mind and yes it does have to be mains wired.

I have done overnight minding for about 5 years now and other things you need to have are -
Separate bedding
Separate toothbrush & paste
Seaparate towels etc and make sure you are able to hear the child in the night by either monitors or keeping doors open if rooms are close.

Generally yes anyone can have an overnight licence - it used to be subject to a doctors reference when i registered for it but nowadays you have one of those anyway and so long as you don't take sleeping pills etc which may make it difficult for you to hear the child in the night then you should be ok.

CherryBlossom
27-04-2009, 06:17 PM
Sorry to but in - you have to have one in the actual room you use to mind and yes it does have to be mains wired.

I have done overnight minding for about 5 years now and other things you need to have are -
Separate bedding
Separate toothbrush & paste
Seaparate towels etc and make sure you are able to hear the child in the night by either monitors or keeping doors open if rooms are close.

Generally yes anyone can have an overnight licence - it used to be subject to a doctors reference when i registered for it but nowadays you have one of those anyway and so long as you don't take sleeping pills etc which may make it difficult for you to hear the child in the night then you should be ok.

Thanks for your reply, that was the sort of thing I expected.
Things like the bedding etc is no problem at all-I will be getting all of this anyway.
I don't take sleeping pills either :)
I just wasn't sure if you had to have been registered for a certain amount of time, or have another qualification etc.

x

Hebs
27-04-2009, 06:32 PM
I'm registered for overnight care and the rooms DO NOT have a smoke alarm in them, there is 1 on the landing, Ofsted were fine and NEVER said i had to have a smoke alarm in each room.

they have to have a bed (or camp bed) clean bedding, fresh towels for overnight care but they do not need to have their own room, i have mindees overnight, the boy shares with my son, the girls with my daughter and the baby in a travel cot in my room :thumbsup:

Lady Haha
27-04-2009, 06:55 PM
Theres alot more to it than just the wired smoke alarms to satisfy the Fire Man when he comes round! I have three smoke alarms all mains connected so if one goes off, they all go off.

Not good enough. I don't have any windows at the front of my house that fully open big enough for a person to get through. I have the type of double glazing that has windows with the small window at the top to open. I have a fully opening window at the back of the house, but the fire engine ladder wouldnt be able to reach it round the back.......

The other thing he wasn't happy about is my open plan lounge/kitchen with the stairs opened up there. He said you need to be able to shut the door on the kitchen at night.

So there you go, things to keep in mind when looking for a new house!

CherryBlossom
27-04-2009, 07:17 PM
Theres alot more to it than just the wired smoke alarms to satisfy the Fire Man when he comes round! I have three smoke alarms all mains connected so if one goes off, they all go off.

Not good enough. I don't have any windows at the front of my house that fully open big enough for a person to get through. I have the type of double glazing that has windows with the small window at the top to open. I have a fully opening window at the back of the house, but the fire engine ladder wouldnt be able to reach it round the back.......

The other thing he wasn't happy about is my open plan lounge/kitchen with the stairs opened up there. He said you need to be able to shut the door on the kitchen at night.

So there you go, things to keep in mind when looking for a new house!

Well, not sure what sort of house I will be getting. It seems some inspectors are more strict than others.
I can understand the smoke alarms, and the kitchen door-is that incase they walk down in the night? With knives and other dangerous objects living in the kitchen..

x

FizzysFriends
27-04-2009, 07:24 PM
Well, not sure what sort of house I will be getting. It seems some inspectors are more strict than others.
I can understand the smoke alarms, and the kitchen door-is that incase they walk down in the night? With knives and other dangerous objects living in the kitchen..

x

I think its because there is a highter risk of fire in the kitchen and having a door there (closed) gives you more time.

CherryBlossom
27-04-2009, 07:52 PM
I think its because there is a highter risk of fire in the kitchen and having a door there (closed) gives you more time.

Oh ok, I see..Thank you x