PDA

View Full Version : No experience with kids, problem??

lllovelylou11
27-04-2009, 12:47 PM
Hiya everyone,

Ive got a friend who wants to become a childminder with me so we can work together as we have done in our current job for 2 yrs and get on really well.

She is 19 and hasnt ever worked with kids and doesnt have any herself.
Will she need to have some experience before ofsted will register her?

Thanks for your help.
Lou xx

Princess Sara
27-04-2009, 01:03 PM
Could she volanteer at a nursery or playgroup? Oh the phones ringing!

lllovelylou11
27-04-2009, 01:05 PM
Well we both work 9-5pm in an office at the minute so she wouldnt have the time to. Can she count looking after relatives kids as experience?

xx

huggableshelly
27-04-2009, 01:18 PM
yes!

she has babysitting experience for relatives and will be guided by you as an unqualified assistant who is willing to undertake training.

you will both have to do training anyway so would be a good idea to work together using experience and willingness to train.

lllovelylou11
27-04-2009, 01:21 PM
So does she still register as a childminder? Sorry, i dont know how the whole assistant bit goes.

Ive worked in 3 nurseries a few years ago and have 2 kids so i have alot of experience to guide her.

xx

Tatjana
27-04-2009, 01:26 PM
Might be worth her calling Ofsted and see what they say?

xx

huggableshelly
27-04-2009, 01:38 PM
So does she still register as a childminder? Sorry, i dont know how the whole assistant bit goes.

Ive worked in 3 nurseries a few years ago and have 2 kids so i have alot of experience to guide her.

xx

she registers as an assistant but courses are still available ... I've not looked into it fully but if you wanted to have her in order to leave children alone with her there are ceratin things she must have ...

you may find more useful information looking through this section of the forum too
http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25

nannymcflea
27-04-2009, 01:42 PM
Do you think she'll be able to work under you? It is important for your business and your friendship that she does her job properly...some people think working with kids is a doddle and regret going into the business. Do warn her that it's a hard living for not much pay and there may be times you have only a couple of kids so pay may not be quite what she's used to.

sorry, don't want to put a damper on things but I do try to be practical.