PDA

View Full Version : Potty training

hectors house
27-04-2009, 12:23 PM
Have started to think about potty train a mindee who is nearly 3 years old - have been sitting him on potty at regular intervals and he couldn't hold wee but could quite often push out a little dribble. His parents said they would try pull ups - I personally think they are a waste of time as child can't tell the difference, so he was still doing occasional wees on potty when prompted but mostly still in pull ups - last week he went back to doing all wees in pull ups and none in potty.

His parents decided to put him in pants at the weekend and when they brought him this morning said he had done really well at weekend - only 2 accidents. This morning I have regularly reminded him and sat him on potty every half an hour, nothing - then mid morning 5 mins after he got off potty he stood there and did a GALLON of wee - when I shouted his name to alert him to what was happening he got upset - I wasn't shouting at him just trying to stop him. Cleaned him up and didn't put trousers back on just pants - 2 hours later after reminders and sitting on every half an hour again - he did the same thing - this time he was kneeling down playing and said Oh Dear as he did it - completely unable to stop the flow - again a GALLON.

Have read potty training stories with him today - also got another nearly 3 year old who we have been potty training for a couple of weeks, who luckily so far today has done all wees on potty.

Parents just don't seem to realise the difference between one to one or even two to one to my one adult to 3 children and the fact that they get so engrossed in playing with each other. I have almost been neglecting the others to spend my time sat right next to him all morning - but feel like a failure.

Any advice on whether you think he is ready or not - pity it is raining today or all these wees would be on the grass instead of my carpet.

jibberjitz
27-04-2009, 12:28 PM
He sounds like my DD was when we started potty training and with hind sight I wish we'd waited a month or two. She did take a while to get it but got there in the end :thumbsup:

huggableshelly
27-04-2009, 12:55 PM
do you think he would react to a potty training reward chart with either stickers or ticks? sometimes children can master something quicker at home as less going on and no other children to distract them.

Just report back to parents ask what they are doing at home and stick with it if able too.

haribo
27-04-2009, 01:03 PM
i think its more doable at home too plus easier to watch the signs when no other kids . i follow whats done at home but like the parents to take the lead in this ive had parents who just expected me to start training and get on with it :panic: . i have had my fair share of wee all over the house and now ask for pullups if we have lots of accidents or i think a child isnt ready for pants!

rickysmiths
27-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Sorry but I am a bit old fashioned and my parents do the potty training !
I always discuss a plan of action with the parents and they have the lo at home for at least a week, pref two, so it means planning holiday. I then carry on in discussion with the parents.

I agree with you, I don't like pull-ups.

Pull-ups seem to be in fashion at the moment, I have another lo in them at 18mths, no where near potty training yet, they are a pain because they don't hold stuff in the way nappies do, I find they need to be changed more often. It must cost the parents a fortune!

hectors house
27-04-2009, 01:46 PM
I agree with you, I don't like pull-ups.

Pull-ups seem to be in fashion at the moment, I have another lo in them at 18mths, no where near potty training yet, they are a pain because they don't hold stuff in the way nappies do, I find they need to be changed more often. It must cost the parents a fortune!

And I find you have to take trousers, tights, shoes off completely to get new pull up back on - which sometimes if at toddlers or out on a trip I don't aways do. One wee and they seem to get so heavy they pull child's trousers down!

Am now trying stickers and a reward chart - so little girl doing well but nothing on little boys - just waiting for next flood - maybe I should put his wellies on, that way if he is standing up it will go straight in welly boot and save my carpet!

Could really do without the stress of this - have got my 25th Wedding Anniversary party for 120 people in less than 2 weeks - will have to take children to supermarket later in week (don't want them weeing on my food while sitting in trolley) and then the following week we are off to Peru and loads of the parents have asked me to have their kids extra as granny on holiday or lots of work to do before I'm on holiday - what about me having lots of things to do - like packing!