PDA

View Full Version : Non-parent childminders?

IamJen
26-04-2009, 09:34 PM
I'm still exploring this option with my other half, but I'm wondering about something. Are any of you who are childminders not parents yourself? All of the childminders I've come across in my local area have their own children, which is part of the reason they are childminders...so that they can stay home with their own munchkins.

We're hoping to having our own, but it's not likely to be for awhile yet.

amirose
27-04-2009, 08:07 AM
I am a childminder and I do not have any children of my own, in fact so is my friend :clapping:

NEVER been an issue for me, had parents ask of course however have never had a parent put off by the fact that I don't. :thumbsup:

Only downside? Inexperience with babies :panic:

wendywu
27-04-2009, 08:09 AM
MY friend started minding before she has her own family. But her own mum was a minder.:)

ORKSIE
27-04-2009, 08:35 AM
I have a friend who is a childminder...she has no children of her own:)

patevans
27-04-2009, 08:55 AM
I dont have any children.....YET :laughing:

I was supervisor of the baby unit in local nursery for 3 years so got my baby experiance from there, also trained in a school and worked in a couple of other nurseries before childminding.

Parents are fine with it :thumbsup:

huggableshelly
27-04-2009, 09:06 AM
a bonus you have is that you havent got your own children to work around therefore can manage a more personal routine to minded children.

If my children are ill and contagious I cant accept children into my setting, another plus for you to take into consideration.

Go for it there will be parents out there who may prefer the additional options you have to offer.

polobear1970
27-04-2009, 09:10 AM
I'm a childminder and I don't have my own children.

One of the main reasons that i look after children

lisa

Bushpig
27-04-2009, 09:16 AM
I don't have my own children and love childminding. Never found it to be a problem at all (being childless). I have nursery experience, plus I think a parent can see quite quickly if one knows what they are doing. Go for it, I had a *great* design job in publishing and have never looked back having left that industry! :thumbsup:

cher25
27-04-2009, 09:38 AM
I have no children of my own yet either. I had a couple of parent's who seemed to go off the idea when i said i had no children of my own. But i got into this for being my own boss, but also when i do have my own children then i will be home with them.
Go for it! :)

sweets
27-04-2009, 10:13 AM
I am single and have no children, i was a nanny but now minding form home, and havn't had any problems with parents. I think its an advantage in a way because all your time goes on the minded children.

Princess Sara
27-04-2009, 10:40 AM
I would possibly be put off if a childminder did not have any children of their own, unless they had lots of childcare exp like in a nursery etc.

I totally understand that just because someone has a child it doesn't mean they are good with children, I mean look at child abuse, most children are related to their abuser. I think society has made us think that people who have children are good with children, when it is not always the case.

At least you won't have your own children taking up a place on your numbers, and you can be more personal to mindees because your children aren't after your attention! Plus sides to everything and all that.

The Juggler
27-04-2009, 12:30 PM
I would possibly be put off if a childminder did not have any children of their own, unless they had lots of childcare exp like in a nursery etc.

I totally understand that just because someone has a child it doesn't mean they are good with children, I mean look at child abuse, most children are related to their abuser. I think society has made us think that people who have children are good with children, when it is not always the case.

At least you won't have your own children taking up a place on your numbers, and you can be more personal to mindees because your children aren't after your attention! Plus sides to everything and all that.

I also think I would be put off slightly by a childminder who had neither children or experience of working in a nursery or similar. I think some experience of working with a range of children would be important to me as a parent. Or at least a very thorough childcare course. Mainly because it is such a hard job to do and patience and care of children is something you learn with experience as well as the technical taught side. Hope that makes sense!

Nx

jibberjitz
27-04-2009, 12:35 PM
There was a couple of people on our DHC course that didn't have their own kids and were just starting out :thumbsup:

Tatjana
27-04-2009, 12:39 PM
Personally i would not use a childminder who had no chldren of their own, purely down to my own experience of what i thought i knew about children before i had my own and how different it was when i actually had my own...if this makes sense?!

Reading other replies it clearly doesn't put alot of parents off so why not go for it?! Everyones thinks differently and has different requirements from childcare.

xx

Mouse
27-04-2009, 12:42 PM
I think I would be wary of a younger person who had no children and no childcare expereince, but only because I knew of one. She registered & took on a baby, having no experience of one at all. She didn't even realise that it's bottled needed heating & was wondering why it wouldn't take a bottle straight from the fridge!

But I know of others who have done it & been wonderful!

Schnakes
27-04-2009, 12:50 PM
I would be more put off if I was interviewing a childminder and she told me she was doing it to stay home with her own children tbh. While thats a lovely part of it, I dont think that should be the primary reason.

I went on a first aid course this weekend, and there was a lady there who didnt have a family of her own but was pre-reg and she seemed lovely and passionate etc - thats what parents should be looking for. Also, someone who knows to heat up a baby bottle!! :eek: :laughing:

Sx