PDA

View Full Version : childminding with a puppy in the house!!

kats
26-04-2009, 05:07 PM
Hi can anyone tell me if its ok to have a labradore puppy whist childminding, didnt know what ofsted would say about it, he is going to be 8 weeks old when we get him so when we are house training him would it be ok to have children there, thankyou for any advice
kats x

pinklady
26-04-2009, 05:16 PM
Hi can anyone tell me if its ok to have a labradore puppy whist childminding, didnt know what ofsted would say about it, he is going to be 8 weeks old when we get him so when we are house training him would it be ok to have children there, thankyou for any advice
kats x

Could affect your ratios if you already have a mindee under 1 :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Seriously though, I don't know the answer but can't see that ofsted would have a problem, it might just mean yet another risk assessment though!

I think we'll all want to see pictures of your gorgeous new puppy :thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
26-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Do a risk assessment and show where the dog will be housed and make sure it includes that the dog will not be left alone with the mindees.

I cannot see a problem

kats
26-04-2009, 05:28 PM
Thankyou for the advice, will put some photos on when we get him on may 16, hes gorgeous x

Daftbat
26-04-2009, 05:30 PM
Do a risk assessment and show where the dog will be housed and make sure it includes that the dog will not be left alone with the mindees.

I cannot see a problem

Same here. We have a 10 month old german shepherd and he was 6.5 weeks old when we had him. Did full risk assessment and toilet training didn't take as long as i thought. Got the kids to all watch him with me to see when he wee'd etc and shout up. They thought it was a great game and of course they loved having a small puppy to play with. He is not so small now!!!!!! Having him early though has meant he has settled in really well and is used to all the kids. Ofsted inspection was no problem either. LEt us have a pic of him!

kats
26-04-2009, 05:33 PM
So ofsted would be happy for the puppy to be in the same room as the mindees then? x

Daftbat
26-04-2009, 05:39 PM
Yes its no problem. You need to make sure they are not alone with the dog biut supervised its not a problem. I have had children come to me who used to be scared of dogs but they stroke him and throw balls for him now.

I make sure he is out of the way during meals etc and i have stair gates placed between the kitchen and lounge and in to the conservatory so that i can have secure dog free areas for babies etc.

I very much found the whole experience to be a work in progress and i have learnt how to keep everyone safe as well as keeping the dog happy. I am constantly working out ways to maximise safety and let the dog have fun with the kids too. I stopped letting the dog play in the garden at the same time as the children but only because he steals their toys and gets in the way.:D

jibberjitz
27-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Could affect your ratios if you already have a mindee under 1 :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Seriously though, I don't know the answer but can't see that ofsted would have a problem, it might just mean yet another risk assessment though!

I think we'll all want to see pictures of your gorgeous new puppy :thumbsup:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I would have thought it would be fab to have a puppy for your mindees to 'look after' :D

Twinkles
27-04-2009, 05:28 PM
My puppy is nearly six months old now and the mindee's adore her. She is a labrador cross.
I must admit toilet training was a little trying :rolleyes: but like Penny I have stairgates in place so can confine her when I need to ( meal times and nap times ) she's a real sweetie but i wouldn't let her be unsupervised with the children. Puppies can get very excited and may jump up and nip.

Good luck and have lots of fun.

Check out my puppy pics

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=29050&highlight=Miffy%27s+namesake

kats
28-04-2009, 07:27 AM
Thankyou everyone for all your advice, Twinkles your dog is gorgeous :)
Love Kats xx

Peppa
28-04-2009, 06:29 PM
youpeople are lethal with your puppy pictures! me and hubby would love a puppy, but can't agree! well broody! (well for a puppy anyhow!)

huggableshelly
28-04-2009, 06:45 PM
I called the local dogs home asking for advice ... I was advised to go for a young dog or a puppy rather than an older rescued dog due to the ammount of children and adults going in and out of my home.

I've still not decided on having one or not ....not really got anywhere to put the dog when he/she will need time out from the children either.

Peppa
28-04-2009, 06:51 PM
I called the local dogs home asking for advice ... I was advised to go for a young dog or a puppy rather than an older rescued dog due to the ammount of children and adults going in and out of my home.

I've still not decided on having one or not ....not really got anywhere to put the dog when he/she will need time out from the children either.

same as :)

FussyElmo
28-04-2009, 07:22 PM
One of my inspectors was scared of dogs:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

We have a labrador crossed with a spaniel and she is the most pleasant natured dog. All ofsted told me was to make sure the children couldnt get the dogs food and water and vice versa and risk assess:)

The toilet training is quite easy BUT stopping her chewing is another:rolleyes: