PDA

View Full Version : Involving The Parents

shelly04
26-04-2009, 02:54 PM
Hi there,

Does anyone have any ideas on what to involve the parents in. for e.g. paperwork etc

Shelly
x

Daftbat
26-04-2009, 04:19 PM
I get the parents to make entries in the daily diary as well as me. Our local nursery has also just made some slips available for parents to fill in about what their child is up to at home so that they can be put in the nursery learning journey folders. I spoke to my full timers mum on Friday and we thought it would be good especially as she has changed job and no longer is able to take him to nursery occassionally.

wendywu
26-04-2009, 08:43 PM
My parents write in the dairies they put in little notes about what the children have been up to at the weekend.

I always ask to see phtos of the have any events in the childrens lives.

I put photos in the dairies to show what we have been up to.

Feedback forms for the parents.

They often take cooking home that they have done as well as all the arts and crafts.

I put all the little thank you cards i get from parents into the compliments book. We were told to have one to go with our complaints book. That one thank goodness is empty.:laughing:

All these things show you involve the parents.

shelly04
07-05-2009, 12:45 PM
The children I mind are 7 years old how would you get the parents involved with this age group?

Shelly
xx

Daftbat
07-05-2009, 04:45 PM
You can still talk to them about any activities you have done, especially in the holidays. Mine take home baking items, crafts etc and i provide photos if we have been out and about doing something good.

Don't worry too much if your parents are not very enthusiastic - its normal once they get older. So long as the child is happy and enjoying the time with you its not a problem.

The Juggler
07-05-2009, 05:04 PM
You can still talk to them about any activities you have done, especially in the holidays. Mine take home baking items, crafts etc and i provide photos if we have been out and about doing something good.

Don't worry too much if your parents are not very enthusiastic - its normal once they get older. So long as the child is happy and enjoying the time with you its not a problem.

Yes, just tend to do lots of photographs with captions for the older children as well as sending artwork etc.home.

Chanelle
07-05-2009, 05:10 PM
I do an initial visit feedback form which I gave out at the first visit.

Every 6 months I will send a parent feedback form to evaluate my service and if parents are happy.

I have a parent observaton form which they fill in little snippets of what the children say / do at home.

I also do a child evaluation form which they fill in with ideas what to do, things they like about coming etc ...

I also have a Suggestion Box for parents and children to add ideas etc into...

We have achievement charts which the children do at my house as well as at home. hese are chosen between myself, parents and children. This is stamped if they achieve it here, and at home. If they do they recieve a prize from the Achievement box at the end of the week.

They will also take home pictures, paintings, crafts and photos.

cuffleygirl
08-05-2009, 12:13 PM
I had my inspection last week and ofsted were keen to see parents responses to shared diary/obs. I have a set of parents that just don't bother to do a written response, I felt I was marked down as they didn't respond in writing but communicate very well verbally I just can't prove this to ofsted!

I've tried asking questions in the diary, questionaires etc and all I get is a doodle of a smiley face I've explained why I'd like them to respond and short of standing over them whilst they do it (defeats the object) I can't get.

Ofsted at the other end want to see it in writing - rock and hard place springs to mind.

Just have to face that parents are different, some want to be more involved than others for allsorts of different reasons and you can only try sharing obs (keep a copy!) signing them in and out, questionaires etc.

Personally I don't want to a parents eve style thing - school style maybe that's another option.

juelmer
03-03-2011, 08:43 PM
I had my inspection last week and ofsted were keen to see parents responses to shared diary/obs. I have a set of parents that just don't bother to do a written response, I felt I was marked down as they didn't respond in writing but communicate very well verbally I just can't prove this to ofsted!

I've tried asking questions in the diary, questionaires etc and all I get is a doodle of a smiley face I've explained why I'd like them to respond and short of standing over them whilst they do it (defeats the object) I can't get.

Ofsted at the other end want to see it in writing - rock and hard place springs to mind.

Just have to face that parents are different, some want to be more involved than others for allsorts of different reasons and you can only try sharing obs (keep a copy!) signing them in and out, questionaires etc.

Personally I don't want to a parents eve style thing - school style maybe that's another option.

I know this post is old but I was wondering in this situation maybe you could put what the parent has said in writing and then ask them to check and sign it next time you see them. Ofsted should be happy with that, but it would mean more work :(

Baildon bears
03-03-2011, 10:23 PM
I give out my learning journals about every 4 months and put a page saying parents comments, I think seeing as I have gone to so much effort doing a lovely book for there child the least they can do is make a comment, I have had some wonderful comments, I always photocopy the comments after child has left my setting and also keep any Christmas cards etc... With little comments in like thanks for taking such good care of x.