PDA

View Full Version : Swine flu

Spangles
26-04-2009, 02:48 PM
Has anyone else seen on the news about the outbreak of swine flu in Mexico City and how WHO are discussing whether it could be a worldwide pandemic?

It sounds very scary, the coverage has increased considerably since yesterday. Guess it's one to keep your eye on and to emphasize hygiene and handwashing!

Hebs
26-04-2009, 02:49 PM
i'm suprised they haven't stopped travel to mexico :panic:

Spangles
26-04-2009, 03:04 PM
I'm not a panicker but I like to be prepared. Told hubby I was going to keep a close eye on the news over the next week or two and if it looks like it's going to develop into a pandemic I would start stocking up on canned food, etc. He found this highly hilarious and now thinks I'm a right weirdo! Ha ha!

I remember reading the American government advice re. bird flu when that looked like it might go pandemic and they said it would be chaos. So many people would be ill there wouldn't be enough police or people to man shops, make deliveries or man any businesses including utilities companies, etc so there could be power cuts. Luckily that didn't happen so hopefully this won't either although they do say these pandemics always happen in cycles and that we are due one. With world travel as easy as it is these days it is quite worrying.

I thought it was odd how they showed people around the city wearing face masks but some of them only seem to have given them to their children and weren't wearing them themselves. What's the point of that?

Hebs
26-04-2009, 03:14 PM
I thought it was odd how they showed people around the city wearing face masks but some of them only seem to have given them to their children and weren't wearing them themselves. What's the point of that?

if there isn't enough to go round they will want to protect the kids

i hope it goes away :(

angeldelight
26-04-2009, 03:21 PM
Sounds scary

Sorry but I had to laugh with your hubby about you thinking of buying canned food etc :laughing:

Maybe you are a weirdo ? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I tend to only panic if I really need too

Sounds horrible though

Angel xx

Spangles
26-04-2009, 03:42 PM
Ha ha! Thought I'd get more support from a family member Angel! Ha!

Bananabrain
26-04-2009, 04:04 PM
I will do the same as I did for mad cow disease,bird flu ,salmonella in eggs and the recent stuff about Irish meat.

Carry on regardless!!!

I've already got plenty to worry about,if we all stressed about each new thing that came along,we'd never leave the house.:laughing:

FizzysFriends
26-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Just to worry you a bit more, its in France now.

Hebs
26-04-2009, 04:13 PM
Just to worry you a bit more, its in France now.

:panic: oh no

louise
26-04-2009, 05:52 PM
Hi, My bil is due to go in 11 days! I don't know if he has heard yet. The family seem jinxed with Mexico. Hes parents split up days before going and so did bil with hos last gf!

wendywu
26-04-2009, 08:26 PM
Thank goodness i did the flu pandemic course. They did say it was not a matter of if but when:eek:

But then as someone has said why have they not stopped travel to Mexico:panic:

Blackhorse
26-04-2009, 08:42 PM
I guess all these things are really more a when than an if...which is scary...

not sure how much in advance you can prepare for these things. I remember when there was talk about the asian birdflue going pandemic my work went completely bonkes...(big american company....don't want to offend anyone, but they can sometimes go very ott)
we had meetings on the bird flue all the time and then we had a pandemic flue committee and a chart in the kitchen at which risk stage we were...
the mad thing about it really was that they were also worried how the work would get done and if people could work from home!!!:eek:

It does scare me though and I have been watching the news closely too.
Not sure if you could stay home and ride it out without contact to anyone else???
Hope it doesn't come to that though!

Schnakes
26-04-2009, 09:00 PM

I think people under 35 are most at risk or something?

I hope its just another bird flu thing...a lot of fuss over nothing.

Sx

Ripeberry
26-04-2009, 09:03 PM
They say it would hit young healthy adults the worst but leave more vulnerable groups such as children and the elderly alone. The last Pandemic was like that, all the young men and women laid low but hardly affected anyone else.
Are we all getting masks to wear in the street? :eek:

Blackhorse
26-04-2009, 09:05 PM
They say it would hit young healthy adults the worst but leave more vulnerable groups such as children and the elderly alone. The last Pandemic was like that, all the young men and women laid low but hardly affected anyone else.
Are we all getting masks to wear in the street? :eek:

yes I watched a program about it...the flue somehow managed to turn your own immune system against you so whoever had the strongest healthiest immune system was off worst...hence small children and the elderly didn' get as ill....really scary!!!

childmind04
26-04-2009, 09:09 PM
Yahoo news said 2 in scotland had been admitted with flu like symptoms after returning from mexico :panic:

Bit too close to home

Susan

Schnakes
26-04-2009, 09:11 PM
They say it would hit young healthy adults the worst

Ah okay. Ive been kind of ignoring the whole story, so am only going on what other people have told me.

2 in scotland had been admitted with flu like symptoms

Like everyone else - Im amazed that they havent shut down travel.

Sx

Hebs
26-04-2009, 09:13 PM
Yahoo news said 2 in scotland had been admitted with flu like symptoms after returning from mexico :panic:

Bit too close to home

Susan

yeah just a bit too close

however that travel rep guy that was admitted to hospital doesn't have the infection :clapping:

mjw
27-04-2009, 01:53 PM
Write your flu pandemic policy now. If the government say we have to close at least you will have it in your policy that you still expect to be paid
Mary

Schnakes
27-04-2009, 02:03 PM
:laughing: I like your style, MJW!!!!

Sx

angeldelight
27-04-2009, 02:38 PM
Ha ha! Thought I'd get more support from a family member Angel! Ha!

Oh Sorry Spangle ha ha

Its getting closer though so maybe you are right after all and its us who are the daft ones ? :laughing: :laughing:

xxx

gracey
27-04-2009, 08:20 PM
heard about it over the weekend!! scary stuff

Blackhorse
28-04-2009, 11:48 AM
my dp works in the same building as the guy that has been admitted into hospital in airdrie with swine flue...just one floor above...

julie w
28-04-2009, 04:57 PM
I have two minded children who are in quarantine at their home awaiting test results for this Mexican flu. I called Ofsted, who said they weren't sure what I should do as it wasn't a listed disease, and they would get back to me. So far, nothing, and frightened parents.

emmadines
29-04-2009, 06:24 AM
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :panic:

can i sound dum pandemic policy..................... what do i put in that?

i know about the prevention, eg wash hands and surfaces througoughly, any sniffles avoid comming to setting etc?:o

Demonjill
29-04-2009, 07:19 AM
OMG This is even more scary when its on your doorstep.:(

Schnakes
29-04-2009, 07:19 AM
An excellent piece in the Guardian today:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/apr/29/swine-flu-mexico-uk-media1

Pretty much sums up how I feel to!!!

Sx