PDA

View Full Version : help with payment

leonifay
25-04-2009, 03:20 PM
hi, i mind a 4 year old girl who i pick up from nusery at 11.30 then her mum picks her up at 6pm (well usually between 4.30 and 6 but thats a whole other story)

on the friday before the easter holiday her mum picks her up and says, 'oh by the way you wont be having a for the next 2 weeks her nan is going to have her'.

now my contract states that i need 4 weeks notice of holiday form parents and i will give them 4 weeks notice for my holiday. last 1/2 term i had her form 9-6 most days excet for 1 or 2 days when i had her from 12 (was ment to be 9 but didnt ger dropped off till 12)

she pays monthly in arrears and i've just given her an invoice billing thoes 2 weeks, to which she sends me a text saying, 'you seem to have xharged me FULL price for the 2 weeks a wasnt with you, can you give me an amended copy on monday please'

i replied saying that as she hadnt given me any notice i had charged her, but i would take a look at it and take some money off as it was partly my fault off not asking her about it.

i dont think she will be happy with this as i wasnt planning on giving her the full holiday discount, just 50p off per hour or something (i only charge £2.50ph).

i wish i was strong enough to stand my ground and say your paying the full amount and thats final, i get on well with her and her daughter and really dont want there to be a problem?

would you stand your ground? take off 50p? or giver her the full holiday discount? (which would be £1.50ph)

Hebs
25-04-2009, 03:59 PM
keep to your contract otherwise she'll expect it again and again and again :panic:

FussyElmo
25-04-2009, 04:01 PM
I would charge her honey. My parents only dont pay me when Im on holiday -if its theirs they still pay as Im available for work.

I know its easier said than done but stick to your contract I wouldnt even give her discount as she didnt give you any notice.:)

westbrom44
25-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Hello.

I had these sort of problems when I first started childminding and charged half fee for the children's holidays/days off and nothing for mine. A particular parent would ring and say the child wont be with you today as Granny is having her.
I would then charge her half fee. It started happening frequently so I changed to full fee if they were off and left it no fee for my holidays/illness.

I also had problems with payment in arrears, so that was also changed to in advance. I have had no problems since I changed.

It may be something to think about.

youarewhatyoueat
25-04-2009, 05:03 PM
I would write her a letter perhaps saying on this occasion you are willing to charge a holiday fee for one week and discount the second by 50p. I would also consider mentioning that you are reviewing your fees and consider putting them up in line with other minders.
caroline

tulip0803
25-04-2009, 05:13 PM
I also charge for all children's holidays, days off and sickness in full. I don't charge when I am not available to work. You could discount if you feel like it but do write a letter stateing this is a one off and keep a copy. Personally I would stick to my fees and charge but it has taken me a long time to get to be able to do this.

I think that for any new contracts you should also take payment in advance. I used to work in arrears until someone decided she would rather spend the money than pay me:rolleyes: .

leonifay
25-04-2009, 07:10 PM
thanks for all your responces. this was my first client, all my other clients rates of pay and terms are very diffrent including paying in advance.
i like the idea of charging holiday for 1 week and 50p less for the second, i think that would be fair, but i will make it clear that i wont do it again.

christine e
25-04-2009, 07:36 PM
But this isn't a family holiday Gran is looking after for 2 weeks - I put a maximum number of holidays in my contracts eg 5 weeks at half fee (these have to be whole weeks no half fee for odd days). Stick with your contract otherwise I strongly suspect Gran is going to available more and more

Cx