PDA

View Full Version : im doing my first "sitters" job this evening

sammy
25-04-2009, 01:34 PM
i was wondering do you think i should ask if i would be allowed to make cups of tea, or do you think thats cheeky.

I get really funny with using other peoples stuff as i dont want to seem like im intruding. I just wondered?

Ive also just driven past the house to make sure i know where it is as its named and not numbered, and didnt want to get lost later.

OMG its absolutely MASSIVE, it must be about 1 and half million pounds, as i know the road well!! i hope i dont get scared in there all on my little own!

But im very excited as i love doing new things.

Ill tell you how it all goes when i get back.....

huggableshelly
25-04-2009, 01:36 PM
maybe take a flask and a snack just incase the family do not introduce you to their kettle.

Good Luck with it xxx

sammy
25-04-2009, 01:48 PM
yes i did think this, but they may think im a bit crazy camping in their house!! lol.. i shall take a drink and hope they introduce me.

Moominmomma
25-04-2009, 02:42 PM
Just tried to register as a sitter, and can't because I don't drive. Is this right or have I not filled in form properly?

sammy
25-04-2009, 02:51 PM
hmmm, im not sure, maybe as they send you jobs further away (i had one that was 10 miles away) and maybe you need a car in case you had to drive to a hospital or something. Maybe its best to ring them just to make sure.

I had to fill in my paperwork at someones house and im sure they didnt ask if i could drive.

LOOPYLISA
25-04-2009, 03:52 PM
Hope you have fun, im sure they will show you where the kettle is, unless they have a butler :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Allie
25-04-2009, 03:57 PM
When my daughter used to babysit (not for sitters) she was always offered the freedom to make her own drinks, many parents also left her supper!

Allie

ps I would take my own just to beon the safe side, good luck

leonifay
25-04-2009, 04:01 PM
hi sammy can i ask a question? i recently applied to be a 'sitter' i was just wondering how long it took form filling in the forms at someones house (which i've done) actually being registered with them?
thanks

Kes
25-04-2009, 04:30 PM
I'm with sitters and every one I have sat for has told me where the tea making stuff is so should'nt be a problem just remember to take your own snacks.

Kerry

youarewhatyoueat
25-04-2009, 05:09 PM
I've never heard of them,will have a look.I'm babysitting tonight, I advertise being ofsted registered childminder in holiday cottages and hotels,I'm only charging £10 per hour that includes petrol I can get up to £15 in the hotels.How much do sitters pay if you don't mind me asking?
caroline

sammy
25-04-2009, 05:18 PM
I've never heard of them,will have a look.I'm babysitting tonight, I advertise being ofsted registered childminder in holiday cottages and hotels,I'm only charging £10 per hour that includes petrol I can get up to £15 in the hotels.How much do sitters pay if you don't mind me asking?
caroline

its a minimum of 4 hours pay and its £25 or 6.50 an hour, but i think it varies from job to job.

I was registered within a week or 2 from my initial meeting.

Then i got 3 job offers yesterday (my first offers) and i registered about a month ago, so taken longer than expected to get any jobs.

I personally would charge more per hour, but you never know i might get a childminding job out of it, and im doing it not only to look after the child (ren) but to catch up on paperwork!!

helenlc
25-04-2009, 05:19 PM
caroline

What a good idea - but I am not really near any hotels or holidays cottages. Although there is a big Marriott about a 10 minute drive from me - might email them.

Thanks for the idea!!!

youarewhatyoueat
25-04-2009, 06:46 PM
Hi, i'm also catching up on work!! i'm babysitting now,got connected to the internet and here I am:blush:
The baby is fast asleep,not expected to wake up food and drink been left for me.
The baby is sleeping in a pop up travel cot which is zipped all the way round, looks really snug but had a job finding the baby, I like to check quite a bit but it's 3 flights up so I may get a bit of exercise tonight.lol

Cazz
25-04-2009, 10:01 PM
Sorry if I'm being a bit dipsy but who are "sitters"?

I'm interested in offering babysitting services in addition to childminding when I'm registered - is this a means of getting work and is it only in certain areas?

Carole x

sammy
26-04-2009, 12:02 PM
Sitters is an agency you sign up to and parents phone them to ask for baby sitting, if they are in your area (i had a job offer that was 10 miles away) then Sitters text you and others in that area to offer the job, then first person to text back are the ones who get it.

The parents pay you direct at the end of the evening, for a minimum charge of 4 hours, (the fees differ with each job)

Last night was my first time, i got £30 and did 3 hours, the baby was asleep the whole time, and i had a dog to look after too, i felt like i was dog sitting more!! but anyway they were a lovely family, i just hope they use me next time, as its not far from where i live.

tigger
26-04-2009, 04:36 PM
Just wondering do you declare this in your accounts or is it just cash in hand?

jibberjitz
26-04-2009, 07:30 PM
Sitters is an agency you sign up to and parents phone them to ask for baby sitting, if they are in your area (i had a job offer that was 10 miles away) then Sitters text you and others in that area to offer the job, then first person to text back are the ones who get it.

The parents pay you direct at the end of the evening, for a minimum charge of 4 hours, (the fees differ with each job)

Last night was my first time, i got £30 and did 3 hours, the baby was asleep the whole time, and i had a dog to look after too, i felt like i was dog sitting more!! but anyway they were a lovely family, i just hope they use me next time, as its not far from where i live.

That sounds like a good 3 hours spent :thumbsup:

sammy
26-04-2009, 08:16 PM
im not sure how it is looked at, you do get cash in hand, but at the same time i think your supposed to declare any money earnt. I like to think as its out of working hours and in my own private time and not work time that its cash in hand :)

childminder54
04-06-2009, 01:34 PM
ive just phoned headoffice they have not received anythink from the area organizer yet went to see her a month ago took her over a week to phone on refrence even though she said she was doing it that night sai for me to get back in touch with here not very good.

veronicax