PDA

View Full Version : Activities for the Ofsted visit

la-la
25-04-2009, 09:15 AM
Hi everyone,
I am due to have my 1st Ofsted inspection any time now (eeeeeekkk) and am trying to have everything ready before I hear from them. I look after my son who is 10 months old and an 18 month old little girl. Does anyone have any tips for activities I could have for them to do while she is here. They're not at the age where they will sit and colour in and usually need quite a bit of guidance in activities. I just want to have something planned so that I can sit with the Ofsted visitor and talk if she needs me to.
Thanks in advance!

singlewiththree
25-04-2009, 12:37 PM
I would just get toys out that they like to play with at that age as you are going to need to talk to the inspector so can't be spending all your time assisting with an activity or chasing them around. I'm due my inspection soon too.

Mrs.L.C
25-04-2009, 03:39 PM
Something simple like playdough where you can sit at the table and do lots of talking with the children but also you are able to talk to the inspector and its not really messy

Allie
25-04-2009, 03:44 PM
Try and just play with them as usual Ofsted are more interested in the communication between you and the children than the activity you do with them

Allie

Mouse
25-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Only do things that you normally do, so that you have a bit of control over it. Don't try introducing new activities on the day or you could get yourself in a mess. Also, the inspectors can normally tell if it's not something you usually do.

Keep it simple. Books are always good. You can look at picture books together, pointing to pictures, praising the children when they point to something, showing colours etc. If it's an animal book you can tell the children the animal sounds etc. Also, have related toys close to hand (eg. toy animals) so that you can show you're extending their play.
You can them leave them looking at the books any time you talk to the Inspector.

la-la
25-04-2009, 07:00 PM
Thanks for all of your feedback. The animal toys and books is something I do with them at the moment so think I will go with that - thanks Mouse. I thought they expected to see amazing activities going on so it's a relief to know that they just want to see interaction. Thanks everyone and singlewiththree - good luck with your inspection when it happens.