PDA

View Full Version : What do you use for your learning journeys?

Tatjana
25-04-2009, 07:40 AM
Books, folders, anything else?

I've been wondering what is best to use, i have bought a couple of folders which have sleeves to insert paper in, but then this wouldn't be practical for getting parents to sign....do they have to sign?

My sons pre-school just use an A4 lined book, my elder sons school use a much larger plain paper book that they stick photos and his work in....with the latter there's no mention for the parent to sign.

In your experience what have you found works best?

TIA

xx

miss mopple
25-04-2009, 07:49 AM
I just use ringbinders as its easy to file bits of artwork in

singlewiththree
25-04-2009, 07:53 AM
I use ring binders too and just put artwork/photos and obs in it. I don't get parents to sign but I write up comments that parents have said and then put them at the front.

marian
25-04-2009, 07:54 AM
I use a A5 ( I think -it's about 1/2 the size of an A4) spiral bound -quite thick books from poundland.

I put obs in here , things they have said and take photos of their art work - cos they always take their creations home with them!

Marian x

Chimps Childminding
25-04-2009, 08:14 AM
I use a ring binder with sleeves! put in obs, photos, pictures children have done (i photo copy some that they want to take home, or special things they have done) and have put a sheet at the front for parent's to put any comments they want to make. This folder usually goes home with them every few weeks, although they know that if they want to borrow it at any time (say if auntie from australia was coming) they are more than welcome!

Hebs
25-04-2009, 08:15 AM
i also take photos of artwork etc so kids can take the work home :thumbsup:

for learning journeys i use a A5 booklet

deeb66
25-04-2009, 11:01 AM
I use ring binder cos I can add anything anywhere at anytime if you see what I mean

Dee
xx

mushpea
25-04-2009, 11:37 AM
I use a ring binder with the plastic sleeves, all the obs go in and i have just started sticking their photos on an A4 peice of paper with comments and links to the six areas of learning aswell. I dont send these home but they will go with them when they leave or start school.
I also use a ringbinder for their daily diarys which go home once a month or more if the parents request it. I was using a5 note books for these but parents would forget to bring them back , with the folder if they forget i can still fill out a diary sheet then add them in when the folder comes back.

youarewhatyoueat
25-04-2009, 12:11 PM
I use a clear a5 rinbinder folder for the learning journey,this has photos,wow moments,and plans for the next week and plain paper for parent comments on new words,achievments at home etc. This goes home at the end of the week. I also do a daily diary which is a cheap a4 diary for the basic needs,nappy changes feeds etc this is available to view and then I have an a4 folder for obs and longer term planning. sounds quite a bit for each child but it works well for me. It's taken many attempts since last year to find a system that works for me.
Caroline

nokidshere
25-04-2009, 12:39 PM
I use an A4 binder with clear plastic holders for all my efys stuff. I photocopy and take pictures of work that they did that has already gone home.

huggableshelly
25-04-2009, 01:47 PM
I'm using a folder right now but a parent took theirs home and bought it back with everything out of order so going to buy ringbinders now instead, was trying to save space but didnt really go to plan!

The Juggler
25-04-2009, 02:55 PM
I'm using a folder right now but a parent took theirs home and bought it back with everything out of order so going to buy ringbinders now instead, was trying to save space but didnt really go to plan!

You can get those really flat wallets, clear at front coloured at the back so you can keep stuff in order, they have little bendy plastic pegs (or whatever you call them) so you can still punch your documents and put them in in the order you want but without consuming the space of ringbinders.

Tesco do really cheap ones - packs of 5.

Nx

SmartKids
26-04-2009, 02:22 PM
I use a scrap book - and stick obs, photos and artwork in and any correspondence from other settings and parents.

Allie
26-04-2009, 02:41 PM
I use ring binders and that works really well, but you only need parents to sign and comment from time to time, so not to difficult if you use plastic pockets to take the appropriate form out every term for signature and comment

Allie

hectors house
27-04-2009, 11:11 AM
I use ring folders - I put in observations, some of childrens work, starting point tick list which I complete with parents and while children settling in,
a plastic wallet with a disk in with all their photos on - I print off multiple photos onto
A4 paper and put in the front with date underneath each photo, so can be cross referenced to observations - also a sheet in front which parents sign to say they have either -
looked briefly at folder here,
taken it home to look through properly
just borrowed the disk to download the photos
also space on form for their comments

Ring folders can be bulky - especially if you have lots of part timers.

brillminder
27-04-2009, 11:15 AM
I use ring binders and each child has their own tote bag with their photo on the front so when they go home they are kept neat with their other belongings

Chatterbox Childcare
27-04-2009, 11:18 AM
I use a A4 lever arch folder (less than £1 each at Asda) with dividers

uf353432
27-04-2009, 11:29 AM
I use ring binders and each child has their own tote bag with their photo on the front so when they go home they are kept neat with their other belongings

:thumbsup: love that idea!

Jen4Kids
27-04-2009, 01:16 PM
I use an A4 scrap book for my Learning Journal
I have an A5 ringbinded notebook for the Daily Diary which goes home every day and returned with messages or notes
I use an A4 folder with dividers which has my personal daily diary sheets, daily checklist, fire plan, blank observation forms
I then have an A4 file with dividers for each child which has contract, about me form, copies of invoice etc which goes in my locked file cabinet :thumbsup: (mine love to stick the magnets to the sides :) )

So far, this is working ok, but im only on week 4 :blush: