PDA

View Full Version : those who are growing pototos

jellytot
24-04-2009, 12:38 PM
How are all your potatos going? Mine have turned into really good sized bushy plants. I do have a question though, how do we know when to pick them, do they flower and then when flower dies they are ready?

hectors house
24-04-2009, 01:10 PM
We grew them last year in a big tub, to make it easier to harvest them - I think they did flower and when the flower died back, we tipped them out - if you are growing them in the garden you could just dig around a little bit and see what you find - I think we planted ours in March and were ready mid June. We planted 4 seed potatoes and got 40 new potatoes (some were a bit small), this year we have dug up a flower bed in back garden and put it all down to vegetables - but I think the pigeons have eaten all the peas!

Peppa
24-04-2009, 01:30 PM
Mine are bushy but not that bushy! :rolleyes: Think its summat to do with flowers and them dying. Not sure really.... Good question!

mum2two
24-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Yes they do flower, and it's after the flowers have died, but I'm sure with these comp ones there is a date on the paperwork we have to pull them on.

xx

balloon
24-04-2009, 05:57 PM
If you put the name of the variety into google you an find out if they're earlies, lates or maincrops.

Maincrops are ready about September, earlies july/aug, not sure about lates but there's sure to be somebody who can tell you.

babs
01-05-2010, 05:55 PM
piccys of our potatos....

Gizmo
01-05-2010, 06:01 PM
piccys of our potatos....

thats about the same stage as mine Babs, harvest date is in June, I dont think I have got enough compost in my bags tho so dont know how big a crop I will get

sandy64
01-05-2010, 06:03 PM
i think mine must be dead then cant see any think :blush:

Zoomie
01-05-2010, 06:14 PM
thats about the same stage as mine Babs, harvest date is in June, I dont think I have got enough compost in my bags tho so dont know how big a crop I will get

My bushes had reach the top of my bags, so I filled the bag halfway with more compost. Believe I will need to do it again (to abt 3/4s) in a few weeks.

Hoping for bumper crops.

My leaves are getting eaten by something ? Any ideas ??

Roseolivia
01-05-2010, 06:36 PM
Mine are really bushy too, very high above the bags. We have to dig them up June if it's the potato for school ones.

Princess Sara
01-05-2010, 06:41 PM
Mine are about twice as bushy as your pic. Once they get a bit bigger, fill up with some more compost, or grass cuttings if you have some.

There's a date we're suppose to be potting them out but I can't remember when! Sometime in June...

My Rockets are doing much better than the Vales, but I think that's lo's preference for watering so it's an unfair race!

pinklady
02-05-2010, 08:41 AM
Mine are just popping up...I'm forever hopeful though:thumbsup:

ORKSIE
02-05-2010, 05:47 PM
i have two big pots that are very bushy, no flowers yet tho:(

So do you harvest once the flowers die:huh: