PDA

View Full Version : Paddling pools YES or NO????

carebear25
23-04-2009, 09:23 PM
:panic: Hi can sum1 please clarify.

I was on the last of my induction courses this week and is mentioned that we r not allowed 2 use paddling pools anymore due 2 a small child recently drownin at a nursery i think.

Has any1 else heard this - was goin 2 ring Ofsted to ask. As i thought sensory play was important especially sand an water.

sweets
23-04-2009, 09:28 PM
No paddling pools! i am going to use mine regardless of what ofsted say, children love water and as long as they are supervised properly i can see no problem.
ofsted trust us enough to register us, they should trust us enough to care for the children without imposing daft rules.. They are not gods in my opinion.
Sorry to rant:)

carebear25
23-04-2009, 09:30 PM
No paddling pools! i am going to use mine regardless of what ofsted say, children love water and as long as they are supervised properly i can see no problem.
ofsted trust us enough to register us, they should trust us enough to care for the children without imposing daft rules.. They are not gods in my opinion.
Sorry to rant:)

Not ranting, we all said the same thing.....

Pipsqueak
23-04-2009, 09:30 PM
nope not heard this at all.
I use paddling pools - to paddle and play in (thats me AND the kids lol). So long as you have RA'd them and got parental permissions - can't see what difference it makes. It goes without saying about supervision.

I use paddling pools to use as large scale water exploration/play (as you would in a sand/water table) as well

Angela234
23-04-2009, 09:32 PM
I personally prefer not to use a paddling pool (i put balls into one) for supervison and safety reasons.

But if you risk assess the situation and never leave a child alone as i'm sure no one would then its up to each minder

I haven't heard you can't.

Angela

miss mopple
24-04-2009, 06:02 AM
I don't use them any more as I worry about the safety aspect with the littler ones, and with the bigger ones I found the grass was getting wrecked as they were hurling themselves in and out of it.

angeldelight
24-04-2009, 06:40 AM
We do not use them but we do have lots of out door water play instead

I was thinking of getting one and I will if I want

I can not see the problem if you RA and fully supervise at all time

Angel xx

huggableshelly
24-04-2009, 06:43 AM
my paddling pool is used as a ball pit, I cant imagine having it full of water whilst childminding but I do fill up a tuffspot with water creating a puddle no deeper than 2 inches which is walked through making footprints on the patio.

I have little washing up bowls when we want deeper water to play in for hands only.

angeldelight
24-04-2009, 06:45 AM
I think you also have to consider the ages and stages of the children that you are minding

My 2 year olds would be fine and more than likely have lots of fun splashing about in one

The 2x 8 year olds and the 9 year olds - well I would not consider it their games get a little loud and rough and I just would not fancy it

Angel xx

Roseolivia
24-04-2009, 08:38 AM
I've not heard this but i have one. We got it out the other night and the mindees (4&7) and daughter (2yr) loved it. I was supervising at all times even when peeling potatoes i was sat at the door (paddling pool outside kitchen door). I think as long as you are supervising and the children have been given rules (no jumping or running through it) then it's okay.

Pedagog
24-04-2009, 11:53 AM
I have a really tiny baby sized pool that I will be using for messy stuff, rather than water.

Chatterbox Childcare
24-04-2009, 01:04 PM
I have 3 pools in the summer. One large rectangular one that the older children use, a small 2nd one to clean feet before they go in the large one (this is used for all older children 5+) and a smaller one for the younger children 0-5 to splash and keep cool in.

I think that when it is hot the water is a great way to cool down and if you are with them supervising then it isn't a problem.

I would have a problem however if Ofsted or any other body said that we could not do it anymore but haven't heard of this.

hectors house
24-04-2009, 01:06 PM
I don't think Ofsted have the authority to "ban" things - on a training course our childcare advisor said providing you have permission and adequate risk assessments you are allowed to do what ever you want - she suggested letting kids climb trees and use knifes to whittle sticks (you know sharpen them and peel bark off), and she wasn't just talking about older kids. She said only the Health and Safety Executive have the power to "ban" things.

marian
24-04-2009, 01:38 PM
I fill up my tuf spot with water too.:)

Marian x

HomefromHome
24-04-2009, 01:43 PM
risk assess, get written parental permission for each child and supervise at all times (which you would anyway!) and raspberries to Ofsted!!!!!!!:p

sue
24-04-2009, 09:16 PM
risk assess, get written parental permission for each child and supervise at all times (which you would anyway!) and raspberries to Ofsted!!!!!!!:p

:ROFL1: my thoughts too :p :p :p

Blackhorse
24-04-2009, 09:35 PM
I just can't get over the fact that a child drowned in a nursery in a paddling pool!! how in earth did that happen? it makes you worry....:(

nokidshere
24-04-2009, 09:45 PM
She said only the Health and Safety Executive have the power to "ban" things.

The HSE do not ban things - they enforce the law. If there is no law about having paddling pools in gardens when childminding, then there is nothing for them to enforce!

Chimps Childminding
24-04-2009, 10:37 PM
I don't use a paddling pool with lo's, but I do put the sprinkler on they seem to have as much fun with that as anything!

ORKSIE
24-04-2009, 11:40 PM
I have water play...but no paddling pool.
but this is my for my peace of mind.. no onelses.
I find he children enjoy getting wet, tippng and pouring.

mandy moo
25-04-2009, 07:26 AM
I use my paddling pool for balls too, I have seen in the argos catalogue a splash mat that I might get this year to use with mindees.

My children however have a 10ft pool which is so tightly covered so noone can fall/get in that we have to wait for DH to come hometo untie!