PDA

View Full Version : Variation for own Pregnancy

Louise_Oaktree
23-04-2009, 09:34 AM
My son is 4 in September so doesn't start school until September 2010. I have 2 under 5's I look after full time so at the moment am 'full'. We are planning on trying for another baby fairly soon but I wanted to know the chances of obtaining a variation until September 2010 in case I get caught sooner than expected? Or would I have to finish one of the children to make space for my new baby?

My next question is if my son was to attend pre-school for 5 full days - would this count as 10 sessions of education in OFSTED's eyes or does it have to be in Reception Class?

Blaze
23-04-2009, 09:38 AM
Personally I would wait til your pregnant & have a due date then ask OFSTED for a variation under continuity of care until your LO goes full time at school.

Re full time at nursary/ reception class...I don't think so, to the best of my knowledge it has to be a reception class...but email & ask...you never know!:)

Louise_Oaktree
23-04-2009, 09:40 AM
Personally I would wait til your pregnant & have a due date then ask OFSTED for a variation under continuity of care until your LO goes full time at school.

Re full time at nursary/ reception class...I don't think so, to the best of my knowledge it has to be a reception class...but email & ask...you never know!:)

This was my intention ;) but I can't really afford to give up a full time place, nor can I afford to take a break on stat mat pay :panic: so would like to know what my chances are before getting pregnant - but then I am a control freak can you tell!

Blaze
23-04-2009, 09:43 AM
This was my intention ;) but I can't really afford to give up a full time place, nor can I afford to take a break on stat mat pay :panic: so would like to know what my chances are before getting pregnant - but then I am a control freak can you tell!

IMHO If you ask before hand you won't get a variation, but stand a very good chance once you are.:)

amirose
23-04-2009, 10:17 AM
You think that's complicated? Me and my partner are trying for a baby in a few months but my registration certificate lets me care for 2 children in the early years age group of which none can be under 12 months (my evil inspector wouldn't even register me for 2 under 5 unless I agreed to her/these terms :angry: ) SO "technically" once my baby is born I am not allowed to look after it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

berkschick
23-04-2009, 10:55 AM
I think you would be fine getting a variation for 4 under 5, as long as you dont have more than 2 in your 5 - 8's.

Pre school doesnt count I am afraid, it has to be school!

Roseolivia
23-04-2009, 11:02 AM
You think that's complicated? Me and my partner are trying for a baby in a few months but my registration certificate lets me care for 2 children in the early years age group of which none can be under 12 months (my evil inspector wouldn't even register me for 2 under 5 unless I agreed to her/these terms :angry: ) SO "technically" once my baby is born I am not allowed to look after it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

That's ridiculous, why won't she let you have 3 under 5's or an under 1yr

rickysmiths
23-04-2009, 11:18 AM
That's ridiculous, why won't she let you have 3 under 5's or an under 1yr

It may depend on the space the childminding takes place in.

When I lived in a flat with no garden, I was resticted to a total of 4 under 8s (it was only 2 & 3 until both my children were over 8 ) incl one under one. That was a restriction I had for the first 10 years I minded.

When we moved into a house with a garden 5 years ago I was registered for a total of 6 under 8s children from the start.

brillminder
23-04-2009, 11:40 AM
i think you will get it , as comes under continuet for the others in your care as just for a short while till son full time in school and you have house space Lol

amirose
23-04-2009, 12:05 PM
It may depend on the space the childminding takes place in.

When I lived in a flat with no garden, I was resticted to a total of 4 under 8s (it was only 2 & 3 until both my children were over 8 ) incl one under one. That was a restriction I had for the first 10 years I minded.

When we moved into a house with a garden 5 years ago I was registered for a total of 6 under 8s children from the start.

That's right, I am in a flat with a garden :thumbsup: was told garden makes no difference though :rolleyes:

I am hoping, once I have had the baby, that I will allowed the baby and an under 5 so it would be 2 in the early years with one under a year and obviously my registration would say one in the early years and none under a year. If they say because I have a child under a year I can't mind at all during the day then I will be rather annoyed but I am hoping (fingers crossed) this doesn't happen :thumbsup:

Louise_Oaktree
23-04-2009, 12:22 PM
I think you would be fine getting a variation for 4 under 5, as long as you dont have more than 2 in your 5 - 8's.

Thanks, I hadn't thought of how it might affect my 5-8 numbers, looks like someone will have to go :crying:

I will also need to upgrade to a larger car...so much to consider :(

One of my under 5's is leaving in September and a new one is due to start in Nov/Dec and I am hoping to be pregnant by then, do you think OFSTED will need to know when the children started? As I suppose the new child will have started after I found out I was pregnant...also when do I tell OFSTED about the pregnancy?

kiddywink
23-04-2009, 10:48 PM
Hi I didn't tell ofsted when I was pregnant until they came for my inspection. 4 weeks before due date! Inspector said I should have informed them earlier. I explained that I was fine and still working every day so didn't feel it was necessary. If I had health problems then I would have informed them earlier. I suggest you tell them after the first trimester to be on the safe side. She was considering it as a recommendation but I talked her round.