PDA

View Full Version : I'm the worst childminder and mummy in the world.

SimplyLucy
23-04-2009, 09:19 AM
Well thats it, I've upset 12 children this morning.....some were even crying. :blush:

I got rid of the large trampoline in the garden last night and my own children have woken to find it gone (I did tell them before bed).

The childminding children are gutted, they all loved the trampoline. :o

My DD1 landed badly on her ankle last Friday and we ended up in the Emergency Department, fortunatly it's not broken, it's badly sprained though and she has it strapped up and is using crutches. :eek:

Last summer my DS1 dislocated his collar bone on it too.:eek:

I decided 2 accidents with my own children was enough and I couldn't risk any of the childminding children hurting themselves too.

I still have a tiny trampoline with an enclosure that the little ones used, I don't know if I should get rid of that one too?!? :rolleyes:

sue m
23-04-2009, 09:23 AM
Oh bless ya! :D You did what you thought was right, they'll get over it. :thumbsup:

Louise_Oaktree
23-04-2009, 09:24 AM
My CM children are going mad for a trampoline, especially since I am about to re vamp the entire outdoor space. My worry is accidents too although they seem really popular at the moment and obviously good for physical exercise.

Anyone know OFSTED's view on trampolines?

devoncm
23-04-2009, 09:28 AM
My dd hurt her ankle couple years ago on a friends trampoline and still the ankle goes bad and she cant walk, ive had to get my dad to pick her up from school before as she has fallen funny and couldnt walk on it after.

Touch wood she has been ok for 2 yrs now

huggableshelly
23-04-2009, 09:38 AM
I dont blame you 2 accidents is enough!

I've got a 12 foot one which i do alow 2 at a time on (against manufacturers guidelines).

Ofsted are fine providing you have risk assessed, children are supervised and it is used correctly.

I'm due an inspection and will only allow one child under 8 on there at a time but my over 8's play games on there so I wont be changing the rules for them. My other option is to remove the safety net, the children know it is out of bounds when the net is off and are all really good.

But I too have considered getting rid of it now not due to accidents but due to wanting some grass back. I only have a small patch of grass the rest of the garden is crazy paving for scooting on. I havent told Hubby that I regret having such a large patio LOL.

Blaze
23-04-2009, 09:42 AM
Personally I wouldn't have gotten rid off it...accidents happen (I broke my ankle walking along the road & the other one playing netball....)& in my household the enjoyment the trampoline brings outways the what if's. However as a parent & a minder you have to do what you think is best & if that means getting rid off it then so be it!:)

RedDragon
23-04-2009, 09:46 AM
I don't like them myself (but then again I don't like washing lines in gardens either), I like space and a calm garden lol (washing line=work to me so it's out!).

I think a trampoline takes up a lot of space.

I think there is a trampoline policy on the Bromley site.

emmadines
23-04-2009, 10:18 AM
My CM children are going mad for a trampoline, especially since I am about to re vamp the entire outdoor space. My worry is accidents too although they seem really popular at the moment and obviously good for physical exercise.

Anyone know OFSTED's view on trampolines?

they were OK with mine its 8ft, it had an enclosure around it, they also wanted a surround going around the base so the kiddies cannot get under it.

youarewhatyoueat
23-04-2009, 10:50 AM
I went to risk assessment training recently specifically for child minders and was told recent guidelines for trampolines are a big no no. The insurance apparently is very vague and one girl had been advised to get the parents to sign a disclaimer if they wanted their child to play on the trampoline.
Shame because it's the best excercise if done safely. Also if you don't follow manufacturers guidelines you are not insured so any parent could sue you and win unless they sign the disclaimer.

emmadines
23-04-2009, 11:12 AM
oo i forgot to mention i have a disclaimer

hectors house
23-04-2009, 11:51 AM
I was told by our County advisor that Morton Michel doesn't cover accidents on trampolines but NCMA does - this was a while ago, so may not be current now.

Blackhorse
23-04-2009, 11:55 AM
Don't feel bad about it. You have done what you think is necessary to keep them safe and as you had 2 accidents already I can fully understand you.
I have decided that my garden will be a trampoline free area!!! I never had one and will never get one either...

and about the issue about things happening even when you are walking somewhere...yes you canno't control everything and things will happen to the kids...yourself ...or anyone really if you are unlucky...but then there are things where you can control the risks....not having a trampoline is one of these risks you can control....and as I have already mentioned in another post, I know someone that worked in A+E and they had so many admissions just purely due to tramplolines that I personally think the negativ points outweight the positive ones.!

jibberjitz
23-04-2009, 11:55 AM
I would love a trampoline but worry about the dangers:eek:

hello kitty
23-04-2009, 12:49 PM
I was told by our County advisor that Morton Michel doesn't cover accidents on trampolines but NCMA does - this was a while ago, so may not be current now.

I checked with them (MM) last year and they were fine, said I was covered. :)

FizzysFriends
23-04-2009, 01:25 PM
I checked with them (MM) last year and they were fine, said I was covered. :)

NCMA cover them too as long as you have permission.

My DD and then mindees love the trampoline dont think they would ever speak to me again if I got rid of it. There are dangers, but then there are with riding a bike.

minder73
23-04-2009, 01:49 PM
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3672095/Trail/searchtext%3ETRAMPOLINE.htm

We have one like this - it's not too big so the little ones can't go on it and it's not too small so the big ones can still jump around.

I think it's OK because there's really nothing to fall off and it's not as bouncy as a big one so they're all pretty safe when they're on it. I don't let them play unsupervised though.

Jay

Tatjana
23-04-2009, 02:06 PM
[QUOTE=RedDragon;399880]I don't like them myself (but then again I don't like washing lines in gardens either), I like space and a calm garden lol (washing line=work to me so it's out!).

LOL, this is what my hubby says all the time!

xx

nokidshere
23-04-2009, 02:51 PM
oo i forgot to mention i have a disclaimer

Disclaimer for what?

Writing a disclaimer means nothing at all. You cannot be absolved from your duty of care and safety by getting the parents to sign to say its ok with them

flora
23-04-2009, 06:00 PM
You did what you thought was right Lucy don't feel bad.

That said there would be a mutiny in this house if I got rid of the trampoline. I think I would get sacked :laughing:

aly
23-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Well thats it, I've upset 12 children this morning.....some were even crying. :blush:

I got rid of the large trampoline in the garden last night and my own children have woken to find it gone (I did tell them before bed).

The childminding children are gutted, they all loved the trampoline. :o

My DD1 landed badly on her ankle last Friday and we ended up in the Emergency Department, fortunatly it's not broken, it's badly sprained though and she has it strapped up and is using crutches. :eek:

Last summer my DS1 dislocated his collar bone on it too.:eek:

I decided 2 accidents with my own children was enough and I couldn't risk any of the childminding children hurting themselves too.

I still have a tiny trampoline with an enclosure that the little ones used, I don't know if I should get rid of that one too?!? :rolleyes:
I did the same thing 3 weeks ago...Poppy did fracture her knee so has been in a cast. the day after we got rid too.

ORKSIE
23-04-2009, 06:57 PM
I have a trampoline, all parents have signed to say they allow their child on it, I have had no probs with it...........So far:rolleyes:
But you did what was right for you, you felt uncomfortable about it, so you did the right thing. The children will get over it:)

emmadines
23-04-2009, 10:02 PM
kitty, you got mail

Mollymop
24-04-2009, 06:28 AM
My garden isn't big enough for one, plus all the other equipment I have. But the thought of the kids hurting themselves puts me off the idea of having one now I have read this. (it's really me that wants to jump around on one!:D )

PixiePetal
24-04-2009, 07:02 AM
My garden is too small to have one anyway. The grass is better used for riding bikes/cars/water play etc

If I had a bigger garden, might be tempted to get the lower Argos one :)