PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what to do about this behaviour?

tigger
22-04-2009, 08:05 PM
The title says it all. I have a little 2 year old who tries to headbut, bite, kick or just generally be nasty to the others I mind. When getting down to is level trying to tell him that his behaviour is not acceptable he will not face you, keeps turning his head away, you cannot put him out of the situation because he doesn't seem to have any concept that he is doing anything wrong. He hardly speaks apart from to say whatsat or ooh. He looks at you just to see if you're looking at him and then starts kicking things. Has anybody got any hints as to how to deal with this sort of behaviour as I'm running out of ideas and mum doesn't really know the best thing to do either?

mushpea
22-04-2009, 08:14 PM
i have an 18month old who delights in pulling her sisters hair and snatching of her, the first time i say a sharp NO, the second time i sit her on my stairs and say No, only sit her there for about 1 minunte then when she gets of i say to her now love your sister and she goes and gives her a hug (very cute!), at such a young age it is difficult to explain to them what they have done especialy if they dont have the understanding, the 18month old is graduly learning to stop doing what ever it is after the first NO, trouble is when mum comes she reverts to this grumpy child and starts hitting mum and having strops and mum does nothing, so at least you can get mum on board with yours.

sarah707
22-04-2009, 08:49 PM
If mum is finding it tough as well then I suggest she gets along to the Health Visitor for an appointment.

Sliding eyes can be a symptom of various conditions... or simply a little boy who has decided not to listen / look at you.

What mum needs to do is put all the behaviour together and she will need help to do that.

In the meantime (or if she does not do it) you need to keep a record of his behaviour... and of course as many good bits as you can find ... in case of complaints from other parents.

Try and use the same tactics at home and with you... sharp no first time, time out if it is repeated, age and stage appropriate explanations, showing him the devastation he has caused sometimes helps, rewarding the good etc.

If it starts having an effect on other contracts and you do not have anywhere else to turn, then you have a difficult decision to make I'm afraid.

Hth :)