PDA

View Full Version : what would clapping come under?

Mrs.L.C
22-04-2009, 03:55 PM
The baby I look after has just started to clap but I cant see for looking where it would come under. Any ideas?

marjie b
22-04-2009, 04:28 PM
that ia a superb question actually!

I also have lil lady just started doing that and playing "peek-a-boo"
and wondered the same thing myself, couldnt really be bothered to look it up :blush: lol!!

Helen79
22-04-2009, 04:30 PM
Clever babies :clapping:
I would put it under Physical Development & Personal, Social & Emotional Development.

Andrea08
22-04-2009, 04:38 PM
well it can come under a lot of the L&D,,,

PD,
CLL
PSED
CD if clapping to music?

moogster1a
22-04-2009, 04:56 PM
For goodness sake. This is what epitomises everything I hate about EYFS. Are you really worrying about this instead of either playing with kids or enjoying time off. I don't write down anything except the legal requirements of risk assessments etc.
She's a tiny baby!! who cares what heading it comes under. Just tell her mum she clapped!!

Chatterbox Childcare
22-04-2009, 05:02 PM
For goodness sake. This is what epitomises everything I hate about EYFS. Are you really worrying about this instead of either playing with kids or enjoying time off. I don't write down anything except the legal requirements of risk assessments etc.
She's a tiny baby!! who cares what heading it comes under. Just tell her mum she clapped!!

Under the EYFS we have to make a decision and record this - personally I would look at the areas for her stage of development and if it covers 6 areas put it under 6 areas. You don't have to pick out one.

If you don't write down anything will you remember everything and know where each child is at all levels and stages of development? When Ofsted come and you cannot answer, do you really want an inadequate?

moogster1a
22-04-2009, 05:14 PM
The only statutory requirement to write anything down is that practitioners must
complete an EYFS Profile for each child in the year in which they turn five –
reception class at primary school for most children. This is intended to help
inform future policy, and to support teachers in understanding children’s needs
when they enter Key Stage 1 of primary school.
This is a response from the government.
I think it's ridiculous to write down that a bay has clapped. Absoloutely mad. I'm also not going to report that they gurgle, smile fart etc.
Hopefully in a couple of years there will be another review and this stalinesque approach to childcare will disappear.

Pipsqueak
22-04-2009, 05:25 PM
The only statutory requirement to write anything down is that practitioners must
complete an EYFS Profile for each child in the year in which they turn five –
reception class at primary school for most children. This is intended to help
inform future policy, and to support teachers in understanding children’s needs
when they enter Key Stage 1 of primary school.
This is a response from the government.
I think it's ridiculous to write down that a bay has clapped. Absoloutely mad. I'm also not going to report that they gurgle, smile fart etc.
Hopefully in a couple of years there will be another review and this stalinesque approach to childcare will disappear.

Whilst we don't HAVE to write things down the onus is on us - the practitioner to prove that we are meeting the childs learning and development needs by knowing what stage they are at, what their needs are (in relation to the areas). If you feel that you can do this for each child you care for in a verbal way when Ofsted or who ever else comes then that is your perogative. Personally I could not keep all that information in my head, the l&d bit, planning etc etc. I don't see much difference in how a parent may record all the firsts in a Baby book (religiously with your first, sporadically with your second and hardly ever for your third lol)

Actually I quite enjoy this side of things - seeing the progressions on paper - it shows what I am capable of and achieving in a professional way - but then I am paperwork oriented! (sad I know lol)

Its each to their own though and each persons interpretation of EYFS is slightly different. What is great about this forum though - for all the different ways of doing things, opinions etc we support and guide each other.

Mrs.L.C
22-04-2009, 05:46 PM
I have chosen to record the child clapping as I am really proud of him and what we have acheived. we have been encouraging him to do it for a couple of weeks now during lots of different activities/situations.

I like the idea of recording the childs develpment and its lovely for the parents to lok back at when they leave

It was just random so I think il put it under PD

green puppy
22-04-2009, 05:51 PM
Hi, just out of interest if a 14 month old doesn't clap or wave at the moment but is developing fine in other ways, would you be concerned?

Mrs.L.C
22-04-2009, 05:55 PM
it depends on if it is something you or the parents have been working on with them. If you have been encouraging and showing him how for a while then it may be worth getting mum to ask health visitor but if you dont then I wouldnt be concerned. They will only do something they see more than once

green puppy
22-04-2009, 06:00 PM
Thanks for quick reply, I have another mindee who does this, he did at about 11 months. We are always clapping whether its songs, rhymes or praise when they have done something. I always say and show waving to mummy/daddy and I always wave bye to him. He will hold my hands and clap but doesn't seem interested in doing so himself. Mum admitted they rarely clap at home, his balance and co ordination is very good so I thought perhaps it is something he will do if he wants to.

jibberjitz
22-04-2009, 08:05 PM
awwwww bless! I have no idea on your question but I love it when babies start to clap - so cute!! :laughing:

HELEN10
28-04-2009, 07:54 PM
Moogster1a your reply made me laugh out loud! :laughing:

Tracey1
30-04-2009, 03:47 PM
Moogster1a I do find your statement amusing, as my thoughts are very much the same. Specially with a baby you can't keep watching them every second of the day then writing out a report, there could be a month goes by and the child hasn't done anything different, this is not because the child isn't progressing, and what the EYFS book states that they should be doing isn't nescessary to every childs level. I too don't write much down, specially for a baby, most things I will talk to the parent about. I do agree that the EYFS is a good thing, and you can assess a childs development and progress but I do think that alot of people are getting to raped up in the paperwork side, and not having fun with the child, you can't make a child learn they learn within time of you being with them.

Just enjoy the time you have with them as a childminder, we don't get paid enough to be teachers leave that down to the preschools.

I've just recently had my ofsted inspection I've been childminding for 6 years, she was happy that I had the paperwork in place, ofsted are not looking at whether you have filled in something each day, they are just looking to see if you have the paperwork in place and that you understand what you have to do, they do understand that there are points of the month were a child may not do anything different!!! the answer is don't look for things just to write down!!!..

Sorry for the rant. I fill that we have enough to cope with, with our own family lives and being a childminder

Rant over lol

Tracey

Mrs.L.C
01-05-2009, 07:16 AM
Moogster1a I do find your statement amusing, as my thoughts are very much the same. Specially with a baby you can't keep watching them every second of the day then writing out a report, there could be a month goes by and the child hasn't done anything different, this is not because the child isn't progressing, and what the EYFS book states that they should be doing isn't nescessary to every childs level. I too don't write much down, specially for a baby, most things I will talk to the parent about. I do agree that the EYFS is a good thing, and you can assess a childs development and progress but I do think that alot of people are getting to raped up in the paperwork side, and not having fun with the child, you can't make a child learn they learn within time of you being with them.

Just enjoy the time you have with them as a childminder, we don't get paid enough to be teachers leave that down to the preschools.

I've just recently had my ofsted inspection I've been childminding for 6 years, she was happy that I had the paperwork in place, ofsted are not looking at whether you have filled in something each day, they are just looking to see if you have the paperwork in place and that you understand what you have to do, they do understand that there are points of the month were a child may not do anything different!!! the answer is don't look for things just to write down!!!..

Sorry for the rant. I fill that we have enough to cope with, with our own family lives and being a childminder

Rant over lol

Tracey

Where I can see where you are coming from, how long does it take to write down that the baby had clapped? A big mile stone in my eyes as they are starting to use their bodies and are aware of what they are doing and it took me 2 seconds to write this on a post it, its just the areas everything come under and I could be writing an ob for anything else and have the same problem

hectors house
01-05-2009, 12:47 PM
Sometimes takes me half an hour to decide what section and sub section of EYFS to put an observation under. Why can't is just say - can recognise, identify or name colours - can't remember what I put that under in the end - also can ride a tricycle was something ridiculous like - can operate equipment by pushing and pulling movement. I have done my own tick list type checklist for each age group - which makes more sense to parents, as well as still trying to record under Development and Learning headings.

Have just looked up where I put clapping - observation was B can now clap hands if you say, clap clap.
Link to EYFS - CLL -Reading - respond to words and interactive rhymes
Creative - responding to physical experiences
Physical - imitate actions they have seen

Parents of a 10 month old think I am mad when I put anything down under "Reading, writing or handwriting" !