PDA

View Full Version : How do you fit anything in??!!

grindal
22-04-2009, 12:05 PM
OK
Am new to all this - only on day 3 but...
My mindee arrives at 7.30am. We sit and have a play until I give him some milk at 8.30am, then at 9am we take my DS1 to playgroup then come back here and he sleeps for about 2 hours. I collect my son at 12 noon and came back here for lunch. Then at about 1pm they all go for sleeps or quiet time. When mindee wakes he has more milk (he is 7 months) and after a couple of nappy changes and a snack for my two (18months and 3yrs) it is usually about half three. Cos the weather is so nice we have spent an hour in the garden and then i have to sort teas out and mindee is collected at 5.30pm. My problem is whan am I supposed to fit in all these things I have planned to do - what with eating, snacking, sleeping and changing I dont seem to be left with any time!
Any suggestions?
Grindal

LittleMissSparkles
22-04-2009, 12:16 PM
LOL welcome to the wonderful world that is childminding xxxx

Seriously though dont worry about it too much your mindee is still only little and needs his sleeps etc jsut do you obs etc when you have an hours play with him x

other than that the only answer I can give is

' YOU DONT ' LOL xxx

huggableshelly
22-04-2009, 12:16 PM
it gets easier with older children, try not to plan so much maybe jsut aim for 2 planned activites a wk to keep it managable for you and the children.

You are not expected to plan something every single day just enjoy the play, watch and observe them offer toys that will encourage their new skills. it doesnt matter if they play with the same toys every single day, it doesnt matter if you cant do craft or messy play every day either. what does matter is that you are providing what the children need that is also enjoyable for you too.

Chatterbox Childcare
22-04-2009, 12:48 PM
Just use your routines and your activities and observe once in a while (maybe monthly) and record wow moments in addition to this.

A lot of my work gets done whilst they are in bed and in the evening (known to be early hours of the next morning too)

Welcome to childminding!

Daftbat
22-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Don't worry about how much you are getting done in relation to EYFS etc. The care and welfare of the child comes first and you have to meet their needs in terms of rest, meals etc.

Sounds like you already do quite a lot with the playing in the morning and perhaps some time in the garden. You can use those times for obs etc. Remember you don't need to go mad, a few well constructed and documented obs are better than loads of repetitive ones.

Good luck by the way with childminding.

grindal
22-04-2009, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the replies - will chill out a bit and be grateful!!
Grindal

jibberjitz
22-04-2009, 08:13 PM
It does sound like hard work :eek: but good fun :D