PDA

View Full Version : fleas???

gegele
22-04-2009, 07:04 AM
have any of you ever had fleas in their garden??? we don't have animals but i'm sure it was a flea i killed by the door yesterday. i've been gardening and my legs have been eaten alive around the ankles!! my neighbour too.

does anyone know how to get rid of them with it being dangerous to vegetables as i want to grow veg and my son is ccrawling.??

thank you

HomefromHome
22-04-2009, 07:12 AM
you can get fleas in some grasses.

but...

there are a heck of a lot of mossies and midges about and they start life in the ground!!!

not sure how to get rid - try asking at garden centres??

:)

Pedagog
22-04-2009, 07:13 AM
Sadly you don't need to have animals to get the odd flea in the garden, just having an abundance of Wildlife is enough. There's not really a lot you can do to kill them in the garden, I would go with a repellent on yourself and your son.

gegele
22-04-2009, 07:23 AM
my son bless him is being left alone, my dd had the odd 2bite, hubby who don't garden has been left alone too. unless they don't bite men LOL

garden border were a mess and i turn everything around gott all weeds, plants everything out!!!

i have lots flying and all, don't think they' re all happy about my digging around!!!!

pumpkinsmum
22-04-2009, 08:14 AM
I don't know details but a neighbour was talking about similar problems in her garden and was looking into some kind of earth you can buy with tiny worm things in? apparently they eat the flea larvae and stop the life cycle naturally. Don't quote me though, someone else may know more:thumbsup:

jibberjitz
22-04-2009, 08:24 PM
I dont know the answer to the question as they could be a number of annoying little blighters but you have made me all itchy!!!!:laughing:

sue
22-04-2009, 09:10 PM
we got ants here!!!!!!!!!! hundreds, sure this estate was built on a ant nest!!!!!!!!!!!!!! every summer and they fly into the house one evening came home and it was like something out of a horrer movie:eek: could not see back door due to flying ants had to use hover took me hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bet some of you are itching now l am:laughing:

essexgirl1967
23-04-2009, 01:30 PM
We had loads of fleas in the garden about 3/4 years ago, despite not having any pets.

Apparently they were there from a family of foxes that nested under the shed in the spring and then spread throught the garden during the summer. By about the September, the garden was impossible to use as they were in the grass and jumped onto your feet as soon as you walked along the path.

Luckily I wasn't minding at the time as I was on maternity leave. Council / environmental health wouldn't help at all, as the infestation was outdoors not inside.

We spent a fortune of pesticides etc which did nothing and in desperation were told the only thinng that would get rid of them was to burn all the grass and plants in the garden, so we did!! We hired a 'flame thrower' machine and literally razed the garden to the ground.

I stood watching from the patio doors, holding my newborn baby, crying my eyes out as my lovely garden was reduced to a charred wreck. However, it did rid the graden of fleas and with weeks all the plants/grass etc grew back stronger than ever. Bit drastic tho x