PDA

View Full Version : Do you charge a place holding fee?

katedobinson
21-04-2009, 12:35 PM
I have someone interested in vacanices I have but they wouldnt need me until Septemeber, I only do term-time but that would still mean I cant take anyone else on and would therefore miss out in May, June and upto 3 weeks in July.

If you would charge a fee how much would you charge roughly?

Hope this makes sense :blush:

Shar
21-04-2009, 01:21 PM
I don't charge a retainer as this tends to put people off but I do take a week pay as a deposit which will secure the place( refundable as the first week's payment). If you don't want to wait that long for income tell them to ring back nearer the time and hope something comes up sooner. Good luck.:thumbsup:

katedobinson
21-04-2009, 05:07 PM
I dont mind waiting as the hours & days etc are ideal and exactly what I have been looking for.

Thats a good idea a weeks pay for deposit and then they get that back by not having to pay for the first week - but if they then turn around and say they no longer want you do you then keep that? x

huggableshelly
21-04-2009, 05:12 PM
yes if they change their mind you keep the fee, so you class it as a non refundable fee that is then used as payment for the first wk the child attends your setting with additional fees to be paid a wk or month in advance or however you wish to be paid.

Buzz Lightyear
21-04-2009, 05:13 PM
I used to think charging a retainer was the best option for me but it turns out, it's not the best option for parents and can in fact put them off as it's a lot of money. Generally, retainers are half fee from now until date required but this can be a lot of money!

I've had two parents now, one wanting to start in May so I've just charged a deposit and one starting in November / December time. Again, I will charge them a deposit which but should I fill the space between now and then with say a full timer, I will have to refund the deposit. I am hoping I will get a temp contract between now and then though to fill the space.

jibberjitz
21-04-2009, 07:22 PM
I used to think charging a retainer was the best option for me but it turns out, it's not the best option for parents and can in fact put them off as it's a lot of money. Generally, retainers are half fee from now until date required but this can be a lot of money!

I've had two parents now, one wanting to start in May so I've just charged a deposit and one starting in November / December time. Again, I will charge them a deposit which but should I fill the space between now and then with say a full timer, I will have to refund the deposit. I am hoping I will get a temp contract between now and then though to fill the space.

Sounds like you're going to be run off your feet :clapping: :laughing:

sarahlou
21-04-2009, 07:34 PM
I charge half fee for holding a place - if they want it they have to pay the retainer because you could fill that space

katedobinson
22-04-2009, 08:28 AM
So you would charge half a month so id charge for half of May, half of June and a week or so In July? x

Buzz Lightyear
22-04-2009, 08:31 AM
Yes you could do but depending on your fees, it could end up costly to the parents and potentially putting them off. Just be a bit careful as money is a definite sticking point so I've found.