PDA

View Full Version : Laminate flooring and childminding

Joannechildmind
21-04-2009, 09:46 AM
I am thinking of having laminate flooring in my rented flat, the bedrooms have it in, but the lounge and hall have carpet but its a bit dated now and in need of a good clean (have cleaned it several times with my vax but still 'looks' grubby)

Anyway how do you find it with the babies and laminate flooring? Do you find it easier to clean/ sweep/ keep clean? Is it hardwearing?

We would have to pay for this ourselves i think (havent even asked the landlord yet) but i think she will agree as all the other flats have laminate flooring down and look fab:thumbsup:

Jo

Playmate
21-04-2009, 09:58 AM
We have laminate all the way through and wouldn't have anything else, it is a god send! Babies learn to cope with it and don't seem to get half as dirty when they are crawling because it is clean, unlike carpet :clapping: Everytime some one spills a drink I shout thank god for laminate!:laughing:

annepowell
21-04-2009, 10:00 AM
Hi Jo

I have laminate flooring and think it's fab for c/m. Easy to clean up accidents and a quick sweep is all thats needed during the day. Easier than getting out the vac every 2 mins!

As far as babies go, i've never had a problem as we bought some large, but cheap rugs from ikea (approx £10) and use these for the babies to play on rather than have them on a hard floor all the time.

Anne

Alibali
21-04-2009, 10:01 AM
I love it for my minding areas, with the smaller babies I use washable rugs (ikea) until they get a bit steadier, I also think having a rug is a bit warmer for the los to sit on. I do love my carpet in the lounge though.

Hebs
21-04-2009, 10:06 AM
i have laminate/wood and it is a god send

i do however miss the comfort of a carpet :(

FizzysFriends
21-04-2009, 10:10 AM
I have laminate and love it. I have carpet in the lounge though so there is no food/drink/messy play allowed in there.

nokidshere
21-04-2009, 10:16 AM
I have laminate all through downstairs, its great looking and easy to clean although it does attract dust so have to sweep more than once a day.

loocyloo
21-04-2009, 10:39 AM
laminate flooring ( with a big rug to play on! ) and leather sofas!

they cope with anything !!!! :D :clapping: :D

Joannechildmind
21-04-2009, 10:40 AM
Yes see i only have living room, and hall, as im only in a flat, kitchen is off bounds to children.

So would prob be ideal for spillages, food, etc from minded children.

Jo

nemo97
21-04-2009, 10:44 AM
I have laminate and find it a lot cleaner than carpets as
I can clean up spills quickly.
I also have a dog who leaves pawprints when he comes inside
which are easly wiped off.
When I have babies I have some multi coloured foam tiles that
link together that I bought from B&Q. I also use these outside on
the decking when we go outside.

LOOPYLISA
21-04-2009, 11:27 AM
We have wood, just bear in mind laminate can be cold

louise
21-04-2009, 11:39 AM
I have laminate flooring in living room and kitchen. Its great as its so esy to clean esp when u have potty training to do. I also agree on the wet paw prints. For the babies i have the argos abc foam mat, This works great as it also sections the area a bot aswell.

haribo
21-04-2009, 01:05 PM
i have laminate all through is great plus leather sofas lol so everythings wipe clean, it makes life a lot easier . i remember my early minding days trying to keep the carpets clean was a nightmare :panic: i have big rugs for the babies too . older kids think is great to use for skating in their socks :rolleyes: . thats the only thing ,you cant have toddlers in their socks its too slippy .

Shar
21-04-2009, 01:16 PM
I agree, laminate is great but keep their shoes on to prevent slipping. My whole house is laminate apart from the stairs. So easy to keep clean!! Leather sofas are a must too, clean them with baby wipes and they look great ( a tip from Kim & Aggie):laughing: :laughing: XX

Toothfairy
21-04-2009, 03:23 PM
I have Laminate all through the down stairs. Its great to keep clean, I hoover every morning and I steam clean it every night.
With the little ones I have washable rugs and Play Mats.
Because everyone takes their shoes off at the front door, I insist on Mindee's having either slippers or socks with the rubber grips on the bottom, to stop them slipping around.
I also have a laminate Floor policy in my portfolio which I got off of the Bromley Childminding Website.
Hope this helps :thumbsup:

mandy moo
21-04-2009, 04:36 PM
I have Laminate all through the down stairs. Its great to keep clean, I hoover every morning and I steam clean it every night.
With the little ones I have washable rugs and Play Mats.
Because everyone takes their shoes off at the front door, I insist on Mindee's having either slippers or socks with the rubber grips on the bottom, to stop them slipping around.I also have a laminate Floor policy in my portfolio which I got off of the Bromley Childminding Website.
Hope this helps :thumbsup:

And me, Clean with mop daily, dont have a steam cleaner
or bare feet,
I made my own laminate/wood floor policy before even seeing bromleys.
Do miss the carpet occassionaly, only coz once MY feet get cold the rest of me follows suit:(

Joannechildmind
21-04-2009, 04:37 PM
thanks alot everyone for your replys, think im going to have a look at the cost first as, the room is only approx 6 x 6 mtrs

jo

CCJD
21-04-2009, 04:50 PM
I have laminate throughout downstairs. I love the fact that it can be really cleaned but I do have to leave little ones shoes on to stop slipping (which isnt really ideal). I also have rugs in key places to help with the slipping thing but these in themselves can also be a hazard as they get constantly caught on the velcro fastenings on the children's shoes and so get pulled up at the edges.

I have over the past year had an accident prone 1 yr old and I must say that if I had had carpet, he wouldnt have had nearly as many bruises. Now that he is walking more confidently it's not so bad.

From a health and hygene point of view - I love it. From a safety point of view - it's not that great.

nokidshere
21-04-2009, 05:24 PM
keep their shoes on to prevent slipping

Bare feet are even better :)

her8y
21-04-2009, 05:31 PM
laminate flooring ( with a big rug to play on! ) and leather sofas!

they cope with anything !!!! :D :clapping: :D

Sounds like my living room!

I agree that cheap rugs for babies to play on are a great idea.

I am so chilled now if drinks are spilt etc but they do get dusty as nokidshere posted.

I have the option of slippers for the older ones and bare feet for the littleones or socks with sticky pads on but to be honest dont really need them.

jibberjitz
21-04-2009, 07:14 PM
I know I'm not minding yet but find the hard floor much better to clean up than the carpet (I have two messy girls:laughing: ) :thumbsup:

sue
21-04-2009, 07:23 PM
best thing l did was have laminates flooring downstairs, and so easy to sweep :clapping: and clean never go back to full carpet have mat by tv for little ones but that all

sarahlou
21-04-2009, 07:28 PM
My little mindee has just started walking and loves the sound of her feet on mine - I have always had laminate floor - dead easy to clean and practical for my lot

helenlc
21-04-2009, 07:44 PM
I have laminate flooring throughout downstairs. Love it for the cleaning side of it.

Babies have coped fine. I get slipper socks or bare feet if they are trying to walk.

I got some foam mats from Asda, a fiver for 9, that fit together to make about a metre square area. I put babies that are just sitting up on these for extra cushioning.

RedDragon
23-04-2009, 10:01 AM
I have just had laminate fitted - it's WONDERFUL!

28 FOOT X 11 FOOT cost me £260 with underlay stuff + beading from IKEA.
You wouldn't think to shop for it at IKEA would you? But it was cheaper than B+Q and the quality is excellent.

Also got it in the hallway - I'm actually enjoying sweeping.

Joannechildmind
30-04-2009, 11:03 PM
ikea wow no would never have thought it, off to have a peek at Ikea website now im sure i will find lots of other goodies too :rolleyes: hey hummm i feel a spending spree coming on. ;)