PDA

View Full Version : can you store rainbow rice?

sweets
20-04-2009, 05:40 PM
i am thinking of making some rainbow rice, does anyone kmow the best way to store it, or is it best made fresh everytime?

singlewiththree
20-04-2009, 06:36 PM
I sometimes put it in a sealed container but to be honest there isn't usually much left to store. I leave it out for a week and then chuck it.

katickles
20-04-2009, 06:49 PM
I have had it stored in platic tupperware tubs & it was fine. Only thing is theres never as much goes back into the tub after they have had it out playing:laughing:

balloon
20-04-2009, 09:51 PM
Mine's kept in a plastic airtight tub too, always a little bit less goes back in every time it goes out but apart from that it's been fine

Pedagog
20-04-2009, 10:03 PM
If its cooked rice, then it really should be fresh each time as cold cooked rice is really nasty for food poisoning.

sarah_wabbits
20-04-2009, 11:15 PM
What is rainbow rice? Sounds intriguing. Sorry, am new to this and motherhood so gaining as much play / activities knowledge as I can (or is it for them to eat ????)

Thanx :)

miss mopple
21-04-2009, 07:09 AM
I use tupperware tubs too and its fine.

Sarah- rainbow rice is just rice (uncooked) mixed with food colourings and dried. If you make enough to go in a tray then it'll keep the kids amused for hours :thumbsup:

Pedagog
21-04-2009, 09:14 AM
I use tupperware tubs too and its fine.

Sarah- rainbow rice is just rice (uncooked) mixed with food colourings and dried. If you make enough to go in a tray then it'll keep the kids amused for hours :thumbsup:

Oh if its uncooked it will last for ages, perfectly safe. We have loads of multi coloured uncooked rice around.

sarah_wabbits
21-04-2009, 11:21 AM
Thanks Miss Mopple, that sounds like a great idea. I shall make some up and test run it past my little one :0).

atmkids
18-05-2009, 11:28 AM
Thanks for this brilliant idea everyone. Made some up yesterday and gave it to my 3 under 5's this morning and they absolutely loved it. Had one colour per tray and each child had a tray each and used with cups, plates, paintbrushes, spoons and plastic animals. Tomorrow we're going to stick it onto flower pictures to take home for mum and then we'll mix together what's left to make it multicoloured. So much fun with just one packet of rice :clapping:

Zoomie
19-05-2009, 12:09 PM
Thanks for this brilliant idea everyone. Made some up yesterday and gave it to my 3 under 5's this morning and they absolutely loved it. Had one colour per tray and each child had a tray each and used with cups, plates, paintbrushes, spoons and plastic animals. Tomorrow we're going to stick it onto flower pictures to take home for mum and then we'll mix together what's left to make it multicoloured. So much fun with just one packet of rice :clapping:

Awww, thanks for the recycling ideas too :thumbsup:

helenlc
19-05-2009, 07:19 PM

Great idea!! I was going to ditch mine this week and make slime, jelly etc for messy play in the half term.

I can see me doing some sticking pictures with rainbow rice in half term too!!!

Thanks!!

atmkids
20-05-2009, 11:42 AM
I asked my husband to find me some green food colouring for the leaves and stalks and he said why don't you mix the blue and yellow together doh :blush: Anyway, I did and it worked :clapping: