PDA

View Full Version : Advice please from those with screamers

melanieabigail2004
20-04-2009, 04:37 PM
I have had 6 weeks now of a 1 year old screamer who is showing no signs of improvement. Refuses to sleep in travel cot and wants to be held all the time. I have him 1.5 days a week. I have spoken to parents about my concerns but they appear to think its only at my house as 'he's happy and settled at home' etc.

I need the money but on the otherhand it is effecting my family life as we have him for 10 hours on a Friday and my kids are fed up with the noise. He is only happy if he is being entertained or held. I won't hold him and that is causing a problem.

He is off for two weeks on hols now and I now we will have gone backwards when he returns. Should I perservere?? Will it get better or shall I chuck the towel in? Enquiries have dried up so have not on the horizon to replace the money I will lose.

Advice please! :)

Mel

sarah707
20-04-2009, 05:05 PM
Mine took 3 months to get right... and regressed after every holiday. Lovely family so I kept at it.

My children are older and went upstairs. I did nearly lose an after schooler though as she was moaning to her parents every day... which was actually unfair as my partner is regd too and he made sure the other children were kept busy and not upset by the noise.

Sorry I really can't advise - only you know your tolerance levels :D

sammy
20-04-2009, 05:22 PM
run!!! mine did the same for 9 months and only the last 4 weeks he has got better!! hes 15 months now, and now he is on his 2 weeks holiday he will no doubt regress again! absolute nightmare, i actually stuck at it only because i felt sorry for the mum and knew no-one else would put up with it, luckily he is turning out into a sweet toddler-but only for me as he gives his mum mary hell!!

westbrom44
20-04-2009, 08:28 PM
Hello.

I think sometimes 1.5 days isnt enough time to get used to you.

I had a child that came to me for two days every week. On day one he would be tearful and clingy, but day two he would be fairly happy. This happened every week.

He went to Grandma on Monday, me on Tuesday and Wednesday, other Granny Thursday, and was with mum on Friday. Mum and dad would then have a babysitter on Saturday.

I dont know what you think but I felt he had no security, and didnt know who he would be with from one day to the next. He was only 14 months when I started having him and never really got any better. He left me to go to Nursery. Mum wasnt happy with the first, so changed him to another!

I would have no problem with cuddling a crying child, but would sit on the floor with them, rather than carry them around. I have read the Baby Whisperer's books and her methods do make sense.

Good luck.

her8y
20-04-2009, 09:26 PM
Ive got one of these too!!! Just increased his days to 5 days so I am hoping things will get better:eek: . I have never walked as much in my life. (seems to settle in a moving buggy) Strange thing is my two children think hes great and spend lots of time playing with thim when they get in from school.

I did haave a screamer before but gave notice as parents didnt seem to want to work with me on it.

Good luck:thumbsup:

melanieabigail2004
21-04-2009, 11:48 AM
I have spoken at length with the parents but they don't seem to want to help me or find a way to settle him better - oh what to do . . .

her8y
21-04-2009, 02:55 PM
I really feel for you. My one decided today that he would up the ante so to speak to the point my neighbour asked if I was ok. I am hoping that a change to full time will help. I have decided to see if its any better after six weeks. If not i have decided its better for both of us to part company! It can really get you down. I am lucky in as much as her is here during school hours only so it doesnt affect my own children but I am a little concerned that it is not the best environment for the other mindees.

It helps if the parents are on your side.

Good luc whatever you decide:thumbsup: